Author Topic: Pillion comfort  (Read 857 times)

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Re: Pillion comfort
Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 06:11:10 AM
*Originally Posted by pcv57 [+]
For the rider, does the Air Hawk seat affect how you lean into corners? I'd be afraid that I might have a tendency to slide around on it.
When you lean a bike into a bend the centre of gravity is still vertical to the bikes wheels due to centrifugal force. You do not slide sideways off a bike when it corners.

Offline pcv57

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Avon, CT
Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 05:53:23 PM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]
When you lean a bike into a bend the centre of gravity is still vertical to the bikes wheels due to centrifugal force. You do not slide sideways off a bike when it corners.
Understood. I just wondered if the seat itself has any movement when you shift your weight

Offline esso_sa

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 03:08:51 PM
*Originally Posted by pcv57 [+]
Understood. I just wondered if the seat itself has any movement when you shift your weight

From my experience, XR is very sensitive when you add some kind of cushion to the pillion seat. Tried Airhawk, then a gel pad (cca 1 cm thick) and in both cases the bike feels like the rear tire is underinflated. It simply “mixes” at the rear of the bike. This is probably due to movement of the passenger on that “cushion sandwich”, making her disconnected from the bike.
I ordered the Sargent seat now (which I will need to assemble by myself), so hopefully ithat should give enough comfort for my pillion

Offline pcv57

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 06:11:28 PM
I have a Sargent seat on the XR but the pillion seat doesn’t seem to be as cushioned as the one I had on my Multistrada which is why I was asking about the Air Hawk.
My wife is not a huge fan of motorcycling so she’ll only go out for an hour or too. I’ve spent a lot of money on bikes and accessories to make her more comfortable so she would enjoy it. However, I’ve come to realize we’ll never be doing a cross-country trip on 2 wheels  :003:

Offline Diavel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Vientiane
Reply #14 on: October 13, 2021, 02:47:55 AM
Obviously there is a huge difference in cost between an upgraded seat and an Airhawk type add on. I say Airhawk type as there are lots of much cheaper that work just as well. So the financial pain may be less to try a $20 solution 😁

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20211012174546&SearchText=motorbike+air+hawk

I bought 2 from this site and they work just fine...but we are all different 😊

Offline Saint

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Centreville, VA
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2021, 10:39:26 PM
My local motorcycle custom seat builder made a pan-up two-up seat to our dimensions.  All good now.
Saint

Offline pcv57

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2021, 11:15:45 PM
I have the stock seat. I should try to find a seat builder to do the same thing. What did you go with for materials?