Author Topic: Helmets-worth the money?  (Read 1774 times)

Offline LeftCoastKen

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Victoria, BC
Re: Helmets-worth the money?
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2021, 07:24:33 PM
With my fat ass XL head, I have not had any helmet that would fit in either side or top case of the XR.

Online Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2021, 07:52:57 PM
*Originally Posted by LeftCoastKen [+]
With my fat ass XL head, I have not had any helmet that would fit in either side or top case of the XR.

Yea curious the 510 I had was an L, the Exo 1400 is an XL, might be the difference.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2021, 07:55:20 PM
Reminds me of us riding out to Bruno some years back to a WSB, loads of guys left their helmets on the said helmet locks on the bikes, the local scroats turned up and cut them all off with NT cutters, by pure chance we took ours with us, never left a helmet on a bike top box/pannier or otherwise since.

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Vientiane
Reply #23 on: October 28, 2021, 02:06:44 AM
*Originally Posted by LeftCoastKen [+]

I also take an XL (in Arai -XXL Schuberth?) as the larger head size is indicative of greater brain power 😁.I used a 54L Givi top box for a long Europe trip and I could get the XL and an M size helmet into this. It was a black finish and the more rounded style ( not the box one) and looked ok too. Stable at high speeds and no problem.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #24 on: October 28, 2021, 11:44:44 AM
I bought a Shark Evo-1  three years ago, and recently stripped out the lining for cleaning.

It's a thermoplastic helmet, not my usual staple fare, but comes with all the usual test accreditations.

Once assembled with the Cardo Packtalk baseplate (not including the actual communications module) - I chucked it on the digital scales in the kitchen:

1,950 grammes !!!!   :005:

It certainly improves your neck-muscles on a 3 week touring holiday !   I was going to guess that it was around 1,600grms.

I bought it from Helmet City, and this year needed one countersunk screw for the visor mechanism.   HC reverted to the importer who supplied me with a bag of 6 screws.   Great service from both companies.  (couldn't find them available anywhere on internet)

Offline LeftCoastKen

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Victoria, BC
Reply #25 on: October 28, 2021, 04:19:48 PM
My previous helmet, Shoei Qwest XL, with the Sena mount and comms unit was 1880 grams.  I thought this was pretty good as I did not think I felt any neck or shoulder fatigue until I got my latest helmet.  My current AGV K6 XL is 1440 grams with the Sena mount and comms unit.  It is amazing what a difference 440 grams makes in your fatigue level after a 500km day of riding.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #26 on: November 07, 2021, 02:42:29 AM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Jesus just saw that picture haha. I get by with 1 single helmet for 2-3 years then keep the old one as a back up until I get the next new one.

If we're talking about "best value for money" it's gotta be Scorpion, no debating at all. cheapest FIM rated helmet, the EXO 1400 which I currently use is one of the cheapest carbon fibre helmets with the most features, Drop down sunvisor, pump up cheek pads, emergency release, cut-outs for BT comms and glasses (good ones too, not half assed like some HJCs), EXCELLENT venting, pinlock ready visors with a pinlock AND a dark tint visor included in the box, and then you get all the basic features like sweat absorbing fabrics etc. I think the materials Scorpion uses are some of the best, I prefer that over some of the Arai's fluffy pads if I'm honest. And get ready for the best part. I bought it for 200 quid. And it's not like scorpion makes some budget helmet where you're compromising on safety somewhere, they are truly high quality, come with 5 years of warranty which is basically the max useful life of a helmet anyway, and they are some of the safest helmets out there, even beating out some high end Shoeis and Arai's.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but if a product is good i'm willing to stand behind it. Imo HJC is in the same boat with their 150+ helmets, the ones below can be a bit cheap sometimes and the features half assed, as i mentioned, like on the i70 there is a BT comms cut-out but it's like a 1/8 inch deep so no actual speaker fits in it properly. That said, where it counts HJC make very good helmets that are safe and decent quality on the upper range, unfortunately their general head shape doesn't fit me.

SPORTSBIKESHOP has a sale on Scorpion helmets just now.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/3511?utm_source=Engaged%20-%20Last%20365%20days%20-%20Warm%20up%20send%203&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ML-051121%20Warming6%20%28RZqs2C%29&m=email&p=01FCB2FBFTE91TQ4TQ4PT1TMPP&z=klaviyo&r=ML-051121&_kx=3DPs1bZ5fdBYbSWpREUCXItRWiVvttEStfS00sGIsEE%3D.SK2Xaf

Online Antares

• XR Master
Reply #27 on: November 07, 2021, 03:13:31 AM

Not bad, I still got mine at a good price, just a heads up for anyone looking to get a 1400, the AIR REGULAR which is advertised on this shop has the old visor mechanism that had some issues with longevity and seal, the AIR CARBONS have the updated visor mechanism that's also on the R1s.

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Town: Vientiane
Reply #28 on: November 07, 2021, 03:55:20 AM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Not bad, I still got mine at a good price, just a heads up for anyone looking to get a 1400, the AIR REGULAR which is advertised on this shop has the old visor mechanism that had some issues with longevity and seal, the AIR CARBONS have the updated visor mechanism that's also on the R1s.

A bit of a daft question but what is the sizing of Scorpion helmets like? I take an XL in Arai and they always fit well but an AGV is XXL.I ask this as I buy on-line and cannot try it or return it 😊

Online Antares

• XR Master
Reply #29 on: November 07, 2021, 02:42:13 PM
*Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
A bit of a daft question but what is the sizing of Scorpion helmets like? I take an XL in Arai and they always fit well but an AGV is XXL.I ask this as I buy on-line and cannot try it or return it 😊

I couldn't tell in relation to other brands to be honest. Even with Scorpion I took an L from the 510 air but an XL from the 1400 Carbon

dysfunctional