Author Topic: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up  (Read 1858 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

#10

Offline esso_sa

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 154
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
  • Country: ba
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 08:18:02 AM
*Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
Really liked of the exhaust valve being open all the time, no slow RPM's at start up and bike seemed a bit quicker.



You can have the valve open without remapping the bike’s ECU.
Get the Healtech or ServoBuddy unit, remove the exhaust servo with the cables and you are set !
Did it on my Gen 2 and it’s working perfectly.

Re the high revving at start up, this is due to Euro 5 emissions - it is revving so it can warm up the cat’s quicker. It has nothing to do with engine warm up;
I don’t see it as an issue. By the time I pull the bike from the garage and put my gloves on, it is back at normal idle rpm’s.
And it is not revving on every start up. Just when the engine is cold or sitting over 30 minutes after the ride
Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 08:23:09 AM by esso_sa

#11

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1191
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 10:41:43 AM
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
You can have the valve open without remapping the bike’s ECU.
Get the Healtech or ServoBuddy unit, remove the exhaust servo with the cables and you are set !
Did it on my Gen 2 and it’s working perfectly.

Re the high revving at start up, this is due to Euro 5 emissions - it is revving so it can warm up the cat’s quicker. It has nothing to do with engine warm up;
I don’t see it as an issue. By the time I pull the bike from the garage and put my gloves on, it is back at normal idle rpm’s.
And it is not revving on every start up. Just when the engine is cold or sitting over 30 minutes after the ride

Dont think that is right about the EUR 5 emissions as not many new bikes rev like the XR - only the S1000 engines, and I dont think that other manufacturers bikes do it either. My dealer said it was to protect the engine. For what ever reason - its a pain. I could put up with it if it were just when the engine is completely cold but have found that after a 15 minute stop, even in the summer, when the engine if pretty warm, it does it again, and again ....
PSH

#12

Offline garyculb

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 95
  • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
  • Town: Sumter, SC
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 10:57:34 AM
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
You can have the valve open without remapping the bike’s ECU.
Get the Healtech or ServoBuddy unit, remove the exhaust servo with the cables and you are set !
Did it on my Gen 2 and it’s working perfectly.

Re the high revving at start up, this is due to Euro 5 emissions - it is revving so it can warm up the cat’s quicker. It has nothing to do with engine warm up;
I don’t see it as an issue. By the time I pull the bike from the garage and put my gloves on, it is back at normal idle rpm’s.
And it is not revving on every start up. Just when the engine is cold or sitting over 30 minutes after the ride

esso_sa ,

Did you purchase just one Healtech unit?? I saw on U-Tube that not only the servo unit was removed but, also the electronic unit behind the left fairing. Does that unit also require removal & a Healtech unit?

How did you keep the exhaust valve open all the time??

Best,

Doc :084: :084:
2021 XR Sport

#13

Online BobT

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
  • Country: fr
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 11:16:23 AM
Exhaust valves are default open with the spring. If you just plug in the eliminator then it will stay open and you don't have to remove anything else unless you wish to. It is worth removing the cables and the valve motor just to keep things tidy.
Ducatis have had these valves fitted for years to help with noise testing, Euro 5 was not about then.

#14

Offline esso_sa

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 154
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: Sarajevo
  • Country: ba
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 03:03:26 PM
*Originally Posted by garyculb [+]
esso_sa ,

Did you purchase just one Healtech unit?? I saw on U-Tube that not only the servo unit was removed but, also the electronic unit behind the left fairing. Does that unit also require removal & a Healtech unit?

How did you keep the exhaust valve open all the time??

Best,

Doc :084: :084:

I bought just one Healtech unit (BM-1 model), removed the servo (it’s behind the frame, where the right foot peg is) and the cables, plugged in the Healtech instead of servo and that is it.
No error codes or any other issues.

Pre 2019 S1000RR’s needed 2 units, but that is not the case anymore with the new shiftcam model, including the XR.
Very simple install, took me about 30 minutes for everything.

Exhaust flap is spring loaded, fully open by default. I secured it additionaly with a piece of wire to make it stays there, because I heard about some cases where exhaust flow at high rpm’s could overcome the spring tension, forcing the flap to close suddenly. So this piece of wire is just for insurance.

With flap always open, bike is about 20% louder at lower pre-6000 rpm’s, and ypu get some light pops and bangs when slowing down, off the throttle

Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:20:13 PM by esso_sa

#15

Offline Belco100

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 236
  • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
  • Town: Essex
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 01:50:50 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Dont think that is right about the EUR 5 emissions as not many new bikes rev like the XR - only the S1000 engines ...

I agree I haven't seen many other Euro5 bikes do this, but it is to get the Cat up to temperature in the first minute then drops off - maybe to do with the S1000 engines that they produce more hydro-carbons at start up then say a GS or other?

#16

Online BobT

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
  • Country: fr
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 02:36:59 PM
The GS is a bike and not an engine. The 1250 boxer engine is what I have in my RS and it produces significantly less hydrocarbons as it uses about 20% less fuel than our gen 2 XR. Does not rev on start up either.

#17

Offline PaulS1000XR

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 1191
  • Bike: S1000XR 2021 TE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 03:22:50 PM
Had my XR serviced yesterday. Moaned about the revving again. Service guy said that the revving could not be changed. So I moaned a bit more. Thats it I am afraid.

Interestingly, Asked if there were any software updates and was told that bike software was not routinely updated as part of the service unless specifically instructed by BMW.

Took a R18 out as a loaner. Wasn't impressed.
PSH

#18

Offline the bartender

  • XR Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 102
  • Town: Vancouver
  • Country: ca
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 03:29:18 PM
I suspect its to build oil pressure for the cam tensioner. Nothing to back that up, just a theory.

#19

Online af1-windy

  • XR Member
  • **
  • Posts: 64
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 03:31:18 PM
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
I suspect its to build oil pressure for the cam tensioner. Nothing to back that up, just a theory.

I like theory, everything works there...  :008: :164:

 



dysfunctional