Author Topic: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Re: Gen 2 - Revving of Engine at Start Up
Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 03:31:36 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Had my XR serviced yesterday. Moaned about the revving again. Service guy said that the revving could not be changed. So I moaned a bit more. Thats it I am afraid.

Interestingly, Asked if there were any software updates and was told that bike software was not routinely updated as part of the service unless specifically instructed by BMW.

Took a R18 out as a loaner. Wasn't impressed.

I wouldn't have expected them to change it, it's an intentional feature, it's like going to a dealer and asking them to disable the emissions systems, they most likely won't do it even if it's possible. Also I'm not sure why it's still a mystery as to why the bike does it, I said it's to warm the engine up but whilst it certainly does that, others are right that it's actually the CAT that needs warming being the main reason. Almost all cars do this too, it's just not as noticeable when a car goes from 900 to 1300 rpm as when the XR goes from 1300 to 2000
Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 03:34:29 PM by Antares

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 06:29:45 PM
*Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
I suspect its to build oil pressure for the cam tensioner. Nothing to back that up, just a theory.
Typically it's the opposite. Due to the high viscosity of cold oil pressure tends to be way too high on a cold start. and oil systems have a relief valve for that. The faster you can start riding and burn more fuel, the faster the temperature goes up. There's youtubes of engines running without oil for a long time, simply because there's no load on the engine. A higher idle is about nothing as load.I don't like this system either. And as someone said it's only BMW using it. Hence I start my bike in first. Avoids that clunck. Using the brake to control low speed in first, so the engine sees the brake 'load' as long as it goes too fast in first. And it does go fast in first..

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 09:01:29 PM
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Dont think that is right about the EUR 5 emissions as not many new bikes rev like the XR - only the S1000 engines, and I dont think that other manufacturers bikes do it either. My dealer said it was to protect the engine. For what ever reason - its a pain. I could put up with it if it were just when the engine is completely cold but have found that after a 15 minute stop, even in the summer, when the engine if pretty warm, it does it again, and again ....

My riding buddy's Gen 2 revs at 2000rpm on start-up, even when warm.  My Z H2 does the same - both are Euro 5.  It is for Euro 5 emissions to get the cat up to temp as quickly as possible.

I'm not going to slam it into 1st gear at those revs!!  I wait until it has calmed down, just more idiotic bollocks from the EU!

Online BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2021, 09:03:22 AM
My Euro 5 R1250RS doesn't do it.

dysfunctional