Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Bars / Guards  (Read 10436 times)

Offline knightsp333d

• XR Junior
Engine Bars / Guards
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:38 PM »
I have been looking for bars for some time and these Hepco guards  appear to be very slim unlike the other bars currently available. http://www.motomachines.com/Hepco-Becker-Engine-Guard-for-BMW-S1000XR-15-_p_5123.html

I have used SW Motech bars on my Explorer and they were fantastic, survived a drop with only a few small scratches to the bar and zero damage to the bike. However, the version available for our bike looks wide and I feel the bike will look better with close fitting bars as this bike is an Adventure Sports bike  :038: http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/motorcycle-accessories/motorcycle-engine-frame-protection/engine-crash-bars/sw-motech-crash-bars-bmw-s1000xr.html

I have also looked at these http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/35832002.html  - but they are even wider .....  :138:

I have finally had a look at the BMW bars but they are silver and do not look that great .....

http://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BMW-S1000XR-beauty.jpg
http://ridermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BMW-S1000XR-action-panL.jpg
http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.com/bmw-engine-guard-set-s100xr-k49.html

I have considered crash protectors but they focus the impact on one small part of the crank case which could result in more damage than having no protection at all, where the bars spread the impact across three or four points on each side.....

As a result I am now seriously considering the Hepco & Becker bars. The problem is that I can not find any information giving the dimensions of these, they look perfect in the pictures but as requested by RichS1000XR we need to see a frontal picture with the bars fitted.

I have managed to track down a fitting guide after considerable digging https://www.hepco-shop.de//download/product/501675_00_01.pdf and am awaiting a response from Hepco & Becker giving dimensions.

In the meantime, what do you guys think ?

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
Re: Engine Bars / Guards
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 02:19:14 PM »
Hi, your list of pretenders to the throne must have taken a while to compose. If you are spending £15 grand on a bike why are you contemplating cutting corners when for a few quid more BMW developed their recommended bars which are factory designed to do the job and take the stresses and strains in the correct places to protect the bike properly. The after market world jump on the band waggon to knock these and other things out to entice you but are not developed along with the bike. I am fitting the genuine bars which have some guarantee at least. At £106.40 a side, one side panel is £258.00! i think it,s money well spent. Good luck.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:56:37 PM »
I originally ordered the bars ith the bike, but they were out of stock. If I was going to get bars now, I'd get the BMW ones, but get them powder coated for subtlety!

Offline knightsp333d

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 04:11:14 PM »
I think you are right guys and I have found out that Hepco will not be making the bars any longer as they now make them for Wunderlich.

I will now be getting the BMW bars and Powder coat them in Satin or Matt black ;-)

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
Picked my new silver low xr sport se on Saturday with the genuine bars fitted. The exhaust side protrudes slightly more than the other side but are silver and match the bike perfectly. I can see Rich's point if the bike was red though. They are not a fashion accessory and there to do a job,hopefully will not be needed. A bit tedious to fit having to cut out the plastic cowls where necessary to suit but look great. As i said, worth the money.

Offline Irfrank

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Campobello, SC
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 04:21:29 PM »
Not trying to sound an alarm but want to share my story. I purchased a new XR here in South Carolina at the end of March. Put Wunderlich/Krauser engine bars on it in May. Dealer installed. took in early June for 6,000 mile service. Saw few oil drops under bike so ask them to check. They found a crack in the engine case, just behind the left side, rear post where engine bar mounts. The one under the drive sprocket. BMW claimed the bars caused the crack and denied the warranty claim. Thankfully, Wunderlich stepped up and paid for a new engine. ($16,200). The process took 11 weeks and the dealer kept me in loaners during that time. Since the cost to replace the engine was as much as new bike, I have a new XR. I am not going to mount engine bars to his new bike. I dont know if this was a design issue or faulty bars or engine issue. Wunderlich was sent the engine and bars and I assume they will do the analysis.  This is a sport bike engine and those mounts were not designed for bars. They are there for fixture mounting during production. Make your own decision.

My bike was never laid over or crashed with these bars mounted.

Normal street use.

I very much appreciated the support from Wunderlich and my dealer. BMW just avoided the whole thing.

I don't know what would happen during a tip over or crash. If the bars transmit the force to the engine and damage it, what is their purpose?

Like I said, it's your bike. I have a different perspective.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 04:25:35 PM by Irfrank »

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
Hence why if you go on the other site there's a great vid of a guy throwing his bike down the road with the BMW crash bars told me all I needed to know about what option to use.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 06:13:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irfrank [+]
This is a sport bike engine and those mounts were not designed for bars. They are there for fixture mounting during production. Make your own decision.

This sums it up perfectly, and the main reason why I won't fit ANY bars to my bike.

Offline dsXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 05:57:04 PM »
Thanks Gents - been agonizing over aesthetics vs. functionality....and a little about cost. I found this forum while searching Motech vs. Krauser - nice to find you btw!

I think I'm now in complete agreement. After seeing Cuban Rider's vid, lrFrank's issue with the cracked case and knowing that the bars were designed for the bike by BMW - I'm going OEM crash bars. I'll likely powder coat them as well. Good call :028:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:59:30 PM by dsXR »

Offline Martyn B

• XR Pro
  • Sultan of Bling
  • Bike: S1000XR SE 2018
  • Town: Melksham, Wilts
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:24 PM »
Just been told by the dealer that in order to fit the BMW bars I have to remove and cut the fairing. Well, bollocks to that, I haven't even got the bike yet, they can do it! And I don't want to have to pay labour either.

On top of that he's also told me not to take any notice of the online store price because it's German prices converted to sterling without transaction and currency charges.... This afternoon isn't going to plan! :230:
What a long strange trip it's been...

dysfunctional