Author Topic: First ride; My thoughts  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Re: First ride; My thoughts
Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 09:25:47 PM
*Originally Posted by pcv57 [+]
That's funny. I think the search for the perfect seat is as elusive as the perfect windscreen.

Is it though? MRA Vario is perfect enough for me, not sure what more I can ask than being able to keep my visor open sitting upright at 140mph without getting sh#t in my eye...

Offline pcv57

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2019 S1000XR
  • Town: Avon, CT
Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 09:39:41 PM
My bike came with a Puig touring screen. It’s a bit on the ugly side but does a fairly good job. On my Multistrada I had a helluva time trying to get it right. I did have the MRA Vario and tried every angle and height for the foil but never got rid of the buffeting.
I also have a Sargent seat that is way too firm. I hear not to use gel because of the heat factor so I’m always curious to hear what other seats people like

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #22 on: November 17, 2021, 09:59:32 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Is it though? MRA Vario is perfect enough for me, not sure what more I can ask than being able to keep my visor open sitting upright at 140mph without getting sh#t in my eye...
I guess you're not 6'3" and don't sit on the higher seat? 
Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:00:04 PM by Salem

Online af1-windy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 07:29:47 AM
I spoke with Tony Archer yesterday, a local, to me, seat maker.

His words "I've done loads of XR seats since they launched the bike"

He had one in his workshop as we spoke. I'm meeting him one day next week to discuss what he's been doing to them and what I'll be hoping for.

£120  with a 4 day turn around..

As for the screen, same issue on the Tiger, I decided that going high/low wasn't the issue, the buffeting was coming from the sides of the screen, hitting both sides of my helmet. Ended up with the powerbronze touring screen, quite narrow but no deflector needed. Cruising at 90 + was a doddle..

:821: windy

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 08:11:40 AM
Tony Archer has been around for years and has a really good reputation, I think the problem is knowing what you want, he’ll build you what ever you want assuming you know what that is 😀.

I hardly ever ride a bike one up, but having been at this game along time and my other half also puts her two peneeth in....but in reality it’s a combo of a multitude of things, suspension/seat height/Screen and in our case pillion, started with the high HP seat and the one I bought off eBay start of last year is number 4, just checked see I paid £125, it’s quite high combined with a shortish screen works really well, but it’s such a personal thing and combined with a partner who has sat on the back of a bike with me and done a 1000 miler on our 955 Tiger...I do take notice of what she says 😜

Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 09:01:09 AM by Winger

Online Mab1067

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 04:13:48 PM
af1-windy
Would it be possible to keep us updated with seat discussion. Been trying to decide which way to go. Looking at and been in contact with various seat modification people. Not seen or been quoted anything under £300 and thats with sending own seat away.
Be very interesting to see where your conversation goes and find out exactly what the true end costs to seat mod would be???

Offline Antares

• XR Master
Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 04:17:02 PM
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
af1-windy
Would it be possible to keep us updated with seat discussion. Been trying to decide which way to go. Looking at and been in contact with various seat modification people. Not seen or been quoted anything under £300 and thats with sending own seat away.
Be very interesting to see where your conversation goes and find out exactly what the true end costs to seat mod would be???

Same here for 120 quid even I'd consider a seat upgrade, even though I  have no real issues with mine atm, only thing that i wouldn't mind is making it nice and slim at the very front for stop light foot reach.

Online af1-windy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 04:20:27 PM
*Originally Posted by Mab1067 [+]
af1-windy

No problem.

Tony has done 2 seats for me in the past, zrx1200r and my present Tiger Sport, both were perfect and comfier than the original seats.  :020:

Tony works from home now and rather than have loads of people turning up at his house he meets customers in a layby, yes, it's odd but it works.  :084:

I'll ask what other xr owners have had done and if he's had any feed back from them and I'll discuss what I'd like doing to mine and post a review and photos in due course.  :028:

Online af1-windy

• XR Member
  • Topic Author
Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 04:24:44 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Same here for 120 quid even I'd consider a seat upgrade, even though I  have no real issues with mine atm, only thing that i wouldn't mind is making it nice and slim at the very front for stop light foot reach.

Antares, you're close enough to me to take a look and even have a sit on mine when it's done. I should have it to him Monday and may even have it back by the end of the week..  :028:

Offline Antares

• XR Master
Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 04:27:45 PM
*Originally Posted by af1-windy [+]
Antares, you're close enough to me to take a look and even have a sit on mine when it's done. I should have it to him Monday and may even have it back by the end of the week..  :028:

Cheers for the offer, I might very well do, also let me know if you still need to get that code checked, my offer still stands!  :028: