Author Topic: Saving weight  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Re: Saving weight
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2021, 12:30:56 AM
I've done all of what you said and it really doesn't make a noticeable impact, maybe when wheeling it around or at low speeds, but definitely not a major before and after difference anyway. The only thing you WILL feel that is weight related is getting lighter wheels and discs. """Unfortunately """ the XR, even the cast wheels are fairly light for what they are and going for a "budget" upgrade like Dymag's UP7X forged wheels only save like 5-10% on the rear, even less on the front, and imo they don't look too nice. You'll feel it, but "value" is a whole another question. If you want real improvement, it has to be carbon, but then that's a whole another game of pros and cons. I'm sure you can ask our resident wheel expert here, but I'm sure you're better served with some suspension focused upgrades, or adjustments. If you want lighter handling, drop the nose of the bike, it's free and you can change it in increments to suit your preferences.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #11 on: November 20, 2021, 09:00:00 AM
Other than the recognised reduction in weight of a LI battery (which you still won’t notice in reality) or a full titanium exhaust (with cat removed and with minimal can) - the only additional difference will be with lighter wheels.

I think the lighter wheels might just be the 1st step, once you accept that everything else is just tinkering around the edges - and your wallet is going to take a hefty smack.

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2021, 06:19:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
Removing the centerstand (if you have it) saves 2.5 - 3kg. I keep mine in the garage, just attached it (w/o springs) when needed for service work

Mine stays in the garage also and only gets installed when I'm doing multi day trips where I'll need to do some chain maintenance.

I have an Abba lift so any regular maintenance is done on that when Im not traveling.
Proud member of the 10/40 club

Online BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2021, 06:28:55 PM
Not sure that the centre stand is that heavy.

Offline Antares

• XR Master
Reply #14 on: November 20, 2021, 06:50:55 PM
I find the centre stand to be invaluable it is just so useful. No need to faff about with stands or anything in my cramped garage and allows me to service both the front and rear wheels as needed. My bike spends 99% of it's parked time on the centrestand which is also good for the tyres and suspension long term as the centre stand takes up about 80% of the load of the bike.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #15 on: November 20, 2021, 06:53:16 PM
With 6 bikes on the go 5 of which have aftermarket wheels, i’ve Had my fair share of experience with such....I see we have already had the classic.....if I fit a lithium battery can I tell the difference 😀, While in the garden shed today came across my OE headers 😳 by comparison the Akra option weighs just grams and the end game is the sum of the parts But.......

Every bike i’ve Fitted aftermarket wheels too their has been a transformation....until the KTM GT ....my XR is Non ESA the GT has poxy electric suspension and the problem being i’m Unable to separate adjustment between the front and the back, so from a beneficial point of view reduces the effect by 30% at the very least and if i’m Wrong it’s more ☹️

There’s a gent on here who has replaced his ESA suspension with aftermarket who has been very kind in keeping me up to date on his journey to shut the electrics up that object to being disconnected, and i’m Watching with great interest so I can get the best out of my GT.

So the good news for you guys currently with ESA....don’t bother...certainly until their is a solution.

I’ve no doubt in years to come manufactures will offer separate ajustment for front and rear....but until they do it’s a bodge at best.

Offline Antares

• XR Master
Reply #16 on: November 20, 2021, 07:10:22 PM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
With 6 bikes on the go 5 of which have aftermarket wheels, i’ve Had my fair share of experience with such....I see we have already had the classic.....if I fit a lithium battery can I tell the difference 😀, While in the garden shed today came across my OE headers 😳 by comparison the Akra option weighs just grams and the end game is the sum of the parts But.......

Every bike i’ve Fitted aftermarket wheels too their has been a transformation....until the KTM GT ....my XR is Non ESA the GT has poxy electric suspension and the problem being i’m Unable to separate adjustment between the front and the back, so from a beneficial point of view reduces the effect by 30% at the very least and if i’m Wrong it’s more ☹️

There’s a gent on here who has replaced his ESA suspension with aftermarket who has been very kind in keeping me up to date on his journey to shut the electrics up that object to being disconnected, and i’m Watching with great interest so I can get the best out of my GT.

So the good news for you guys currently with ESA....don’t bother...certainly until their is a solution.

I’ve no doubt in years to come manufactures will offer separate ajustment for front and rear....but until they do it’s a bodge at best.

We keep coming circle about ESA but ESA on this bike is very simple. wheels will help with ANY suspension as it's all unsprung mass. In fact, lighter wheel make under sprung systems perform better as the comparatively weaker spring has an easier time to push the wheel back on the road. In an oversprung system this effect is still the same but opposite end of the spectrum, a large change in mass for an oversprung system is less noticeable than a small change in mass for the under sprung system. Either way all ESA does on the XR is set preload and have a "preset" for rebound and damping. Whether it goes enough of the way or not is another debate but again, coming back to unsprung mass, with less mass the wheel comes up faster and goes back down faster therefore your overall damping effect is pronounced making the suspension more controlled. This does however make the suspension feel "stiffer" which in the case of an XR is a good thing as by most accounts it's also under damped.

So conclusion: Actually the XR in particular with ESA benefits more from wheels than one with aftermarket suspension, thanks for coming to my TEDtalk have a nice day  :028:

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #17 on: November 20, 2021, 07:17:42 PM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]
Not sure that the centre stand is that heavy.
My 2020 centre stand is 2.35kg on a kitchen scale that goes to 5 kg max. That's after I cleaned it in a petrol wash tank or whatever garages use. Not easy to clean... And without springs, bolts, etc. Like I said I use it as a service stand, just bolt in on when needed

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #18 on: November 20, 2021, 07:28:49 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
We keep coming circle about ESA but ESA on this bike is very simple. wheels will help with ANY suspension as it's all unsprung mass. In fact, lighter wheel make under sprung systems perform better as the comparatively weaker spring has an easier time to push the wheel back on the road. In an oversprung system this effect is still the same but opposite end of the spectrum, a large change in mass for an oversprung system is less noticeable than a small change in mass for the under sprung system. Either way all ESA does on the XR is set preload and have a "preset" for rebound and damping. Whether it goes enough of the way or not is another debate but again, coming back to unsprung mass, with less mass the wheel comes up faster and goes back down faster therefore your overall damping effect is pronounced making the suspension more controlled. This does however make the suspension feel "stiffer" which in the case of an XR is a good thing as by most accounts it's also under damped.

So conclusion: Actually the XR in particular with ESA benefits more from wheels than one with aftermarket suspension, thanks for coming to my TEDtalk have a nice day  :028:

For anyone else reading this don’t waste your money till there’s a solution.

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #19 on: November 21, 2021, 08:59:43 AM
Two points:
- For me, buying the XR itself was a 140 pound (63.5 kg) weight reduction from my K1300GT.
- When engineering at the extremes, the cost per incremental improvement is an exponential curve, i.e., each subsequent improvement will cost 10x more than the previous improvement.

dysfunctional