Author Topic: Saving weight  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Re: Saving weight
Reply #20 on: November 21, 2021, 07:38:19 PM
I've probably reduced the weight of my bike 20 to 25 lb ....is it earth shattering? no certainly not,but I feel that every little bit  helps.
Proud member of the 10/40 club

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #21 on: November 21, 2021, 10:15:42 PM
Has anyone here actually weighed their bike after their weight reduction efforts? I ask only because perception is one thing; an objective measure is quite another. My own bike presumably started at BMW's reference 498 pounds, but has climbed thanks to bags, racks, bars, etc. I've been meaning to measure mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Offline bobdave

• XR Pro
  • Bike: BMW S100XR
  • Town: Bournemouth
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 10:39:31 AM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
Has anyone here actually weighed their bike after their weight reduction efforts? I ask only because perception is one thing; an objective measure is quite another. My own bike presumably started at BMW's reference 498 pounds, but has climbed thanks to bags, racks, bars, etc. I've been meaning to measure mine, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I weigh myself every week just to ensure I don't get to heavy for the bike !

Online BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 11:14:47 AM
Very easy to weigh your bike. Just put the front wheel on the bathroom scales and then the back wheel, add the weights together. Before people say that doesn't work, well it has worked for 3 wheeled light aircraft for the past 50 years where the weight measurement is part of a servicing.
It will only be as accurate as the bathroom scales though.

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 11:26:12 AM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]
Very easy to weigh your bike. Just put the front wheel on the bathroom scales and then the back wheel, add the weights together. Before people say that doesn't work, well it has worked for 3 wheeled light aircraft for the past 50 years where the weight measurement is part of a servicing.

Re this: if you have a glass scale it still works but i'd put a wooden board or something across the scale to spread the weight out a little bit, it won't affect readings too much.

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 12:05:31 PM
*Originally Posted by BobT [+]

Exactly - how big is your bathroom?? :110:

Of course it works - the accuracy only diminishes as the wheel being weighed is raised significantly higher than the wheel(s) on the ground (unless those are elevated to the same height).

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 01:36:46 PM
I've considered that, but I don't know the weight limit of my scale and I couldn't find it online. Also, after examining the four load-bearing "legs" on my scale, I don't think they would survive just rolling the bike on the scale; that would initially put all the weight on just two of the legs; I'm pretty sure that that dynamic loading process would exceed the structural weight limit of the fragile looking connecting point for those legs. If I could lift one of the tires up and then gently lower onto the scale, that would probably work, but that seems like a precarious thing to do without having several spotters surrounding the bike. My intent is to wait until the next time I have some used up motorcycle tires, strap them on the back of the bike, and take them to the county collection point. They weigh every vehicle in and out. Subtract my weight from the empty weight and done.
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:38:34 PM by JerryG

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 01:44:24 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
I've considered that, but I don't know the weight limit of my scale and I couldn't find it online. Also, after examining the four load-bearing "legs" on my scale, I don't think they would survive just rolling the bike on the scale; that would initially put all the weight on just two of the legs; I'm pretty sure that that dynamic loading process would exceed the structural weight limit of the fragile looking connecting point for those legs. If I could lift one of the tires up and then gently lower onto the scale, that would probably work, but that seems like a precarious thing to do without having several spotters surrounding the bike. My intent is to wait until the next time I have some used up motorcycle tires, strap them on the back of the bike, and take them to the county collection point. They weigh every vehicle in and out. Subtract my weight from the empty weight and done.

*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Re this: if you have a glass scale it still works but i'd put a wooden board or something across the scale to spread the weight out a little bit, it won't affect readings too much.

Even if your bike is super heavy a bathroom scale should easily be able to handle ~150kg and it shouldn't be more than that per wheel. When you get on the scale yourself for a brief moment all your weight is on 1 foot and therefore 1 pair of "legs", if a person who weighs 150kg needs to step on the scale same thing happens, but it's your bathroom scale in the end so up to you haha

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 02:02:15 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Even if your bike is super heavy a bathroom scale should easily be able to handle ~150kg and it shouldn't be more than that per wheel. When you get on the scale yourself for a brief moment all your weight is on 1 foot and therefore 1 pair of "legs", if a person who weighs 150kg needs to step on the scale same thing happens, but it's your bathroom scale in the end so up to you haha

The dynamic loading of rolling a 120-140 kg loaded front tire onto the edge of a bathroom scale is quite different from the dynamic process of stepping onto one side of the middle of a bathroom scale. That said, we're both just speculating. Has anyone here rolled their bike onto a bathroom scale with legs that look like this...

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: S1000XR (2016)
  • Town: Warwickshire
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 02:16:46 PM
 :001: :001: :001:
Thread has turned into a detailed analysis of bathroom scales.

dysfunctional