• XR Pro
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Hendersonville
    Re: Saving weight
    Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 02:26:16 pm
    November 22, 2021, 02:26:16 pm
    *Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
    :001: :001: :001:
    Thread has turned into a detailed analysis of bathroom scales.

Given the "Saving weight" subject heading, I don't find that surprising.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 02:33:06 pm
    November 22, 2021, 02:33:06 pm
    I did with my old bike, that's why I'm saying haha, and I had a glass one with similar legs, I put a piece of wood across it and slowly rolled the bike onto it from another higher piece of wood, no issues at all, obviously I went slow didn't just slam it on there.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 02:48:54 pm
    November 22, 2021, 02:48:54 pm
    Google ‘Unsprung Weight’ the headers/battery etc are just the icing on the cake.

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    Reply #33 on: November 22, 2021, 02:58:09 pm
    November 22, 2021, 02:58:09 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Google ‘Unsprung Weight’ the headers/battery etc are just the icing on the cake.

Unsprung weight is another thing entirely. Very expensive to reduce and involves things like carbon wheels and titanium disc bolts. It improves handling but makes little effect on the overall weight of the bike. The difference in weight between a new tyre and a well worn one is huge and would make the use of titanium bolts on the wheels and a carbon front mudguard insignificant.
    The XR is not a heavy bike and I would expect that the wheels are quite light anyway. I once compared a front wheel from my 1991 BMW K100RS with one from my 2018 Ducati Supersport, it weighed in at about twice the weight.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    Reply #34 on: November 22, 2021, 03:07:24 pm
    November 22, 2021, 03:07:24 pm
    Which brings us back to aftermarket wheels not giving value for money with electric suspension  :002:

• Offline BobT   fr

• XR Pro  ‐    198

Offline BobT

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
    • Town: Perigueux
    Reply #35 on: November 22, 2021, 03:43:20 pm
    November 22, 2021, 03:43:20 pm
    Which brings us back to aftermarket wheels not giving value for money with electric suspension  :002:
    I would disagree, but this thread is not about unsprung weight anyway.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    Reply #36 on: November 22, 2021, 04:08:58 pm
    November 22, 2021, 04:08:58 pm
    Of course it’s about unsprung weight....it’s where the difference can be made...taking your bloody centre stand off isn’t going to do dam a thing.

What you have here is thread about folks looking for a cheap way to get the best out of a bike(any) and there isn’t one, although in fairness their isn’t a solution period for bikes with electric suspension as I have found out with my KTM....can they be made better?? Sort of....but if you’ve 2.2 kids, still looking down the barrel of years of a mortgage....£2 grand on something is only going to do half a job most certainly isn’t the best idea.

As luck would have it..my days of looking over my shoulder for 2k are long gone, but I haven’t forgotten the times when I did.

Hence why I say do not waste your money...unless you can afford just getting a 70% benefit.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #37 on: November 22, 2021, 05:01:57 pm
    November 22, 2021, 05:01:57 pm
    Of course it’s about unsprung weight....it’s where the difference can be made...taking your bloody centre stand off isn’t going to do dam a thing.

What you have here is thread about folks looking for a cheap way to get the best out of a bike(any) and there isn’t one, although in fairness their isn’t a solution period for bikes with electric suspension as I have found out with my KTM....can they be made better?? Sort of....but if you’ve 2.2 kids, still looking down the barrel of years of a mortgage....£2 grand on something is only going to do half a job most certainly isn’t the best idea.

As luck would have it..my days of looking over my shoulder for 2k are long gone, but I haven’t forgotten the times when I did.

Hence why I say do not waste your money...unless you can afford just getting a 70% benefit.

For a lot of people it's incremental upgrades too. Just because you can't budget for a suspension upgrade this year it doesn't mean there is no point in getting new wheels right now, for an immediate benefit. You can always add the suspension later. Nothing wrong with shedding useless weight either, why have something on there when it's not used? Makes sense. I need the centrestand daily so I don't shed a tear over it's weight, I however take off the luggage rack when not in use for aesthetics mainly and added benefit being that it's less weight. Does it make a perceivable difference? Not on it's own. But I know I can tell the difference between a fully packed + luggaged bike and an empty one and the reverse is also true between a stock vs stripped down bike. Problems start arising when people are looking at weight savings in dumb, ways like carbon ceramic brake discs for a road bike or spending stupid money on "titanium rear axle nuts" WHILST there are more beneficial upgrades to be done. Either way the XR is plenty capable as is, there is a bigger difference in rider skill than who has the lightest bike by 7.292 grams...

• Offline Belco100   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    304

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
    • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
    • Town: Essex
    Reply #38 on: November 22, 2021, 05:38:48 pm
    November 22, 2021, 05:38:48 pm
    My mate got his Gen 2 about the same time as me and his Carbon Pack and Forged Wheels tickbox options makes more difference down the pub then it does on the road. He's bloody annoying with it  :182:

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    Reply #39 on: November 22, 2021, 06:36:18 pm
    November 22, 2021, 06:36:18 pm
    Anyone reading this thinking of buying a new X/R order an non ESA best upgrade you’ll ever have.

dysfunctional