Author Topic: Going back to GS - It was fun, but not perfect...  (Read 2939 times)

Kebabkev and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Going back to GS - It was fun, but not perfect...
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 07:17:11 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
funny that no-one ever mentions the dead spot on the GS between 9k and 12k rpm (I think it is more pronounced than the XR below 4k!!)  :164:

A GS revving to 9k & 12k rpm..??  :033: Methinks there will be rods and pistons laying on the ground.. :084:

Smithy.
Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 07:17:47 PM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 07:46:20 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
A GS revving to 9k & 12k rpm..??  :033: Methinks there will be rods and pistons laying on the ground.. :084:

Smithy.

Every engine revs to 20k once  :164:

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 09:32:17 PM

Smithy.

that is the point, the GS falls flat(off the rpm cliff) after 9k rpm!!! just as you think it's getting going, you almost get thrown over the front end when hitting the rev limiter.

Offline smithy

• XR God
Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 11:47:37 PM
that is the point, the GS falls flat(off the rpm cliff) after 9k rpm!!! just as you think it's getting going, you almost get thrown over the front end when hitting the rev limiter.

The GS is not designed to be a hp monster like the XR....it uses torque to get mobile...and has plenty of that. It makes it's maximum torque at ~6250rpm and maximum hp at ~7750rpm...so I'd like to ask why are you trying to take it past 9k..?? :027:

Smithy.
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 12:01:29 AM by smithy
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 12:22:12 AM
The GS is not designed to be a hp monster like the XR....it uses torque to get mobile...and has plenty of that. It makes it's maximum torque at ~6250rpm and maximum hp at ~7750rpm...so I'd like to ask why are you trying to take it past 9k..?? :027:

Smithy.

Everyone seems to be missing my point here! the statement is that the XR is gutless below 4k compared to GS, but negate the fact that where the GS runs out of balls, the XR is just starting to stretch it's legs. In other words, comparing these bikes is liek comparing fish to steak.

Oh, btw I a XR and a 1250 GS in the garage.

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
  • Town: Essex
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 09:57:51 AM
funny that no-one ever mentions the dead spot on the GS between 9k and 12k rpm (I think it is more pronounced than the XR below 4k!!)  :164:

Nearly spate my Coffee across the room reading that one   :008: :008: :008:

I went from XR to GS and back to XR. Just couldn't relate to the people - mention trying to get more power/different exhaust on the GS Forum and you are hung out to dry. Do it on here and 5 people will back you and another 5 will tell you there is a better way of doing it - far more like minded  :821:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #16 on: November 22, 2021, 02:56:30 PM
Everyone seems to be missing my point here! the statement is that the XR is gutless below 4k compared to GS, but negate the fact that where the GS runs out of balls, the XR is just starting to stretch it's legs. In other words, comparing these bikes is liek comparing fish to steak.

I get the GS thing I’ve owned a Boxer for over 20 years...but the gutless under 4K on X/R was interesting...mine was too, hence Akra headers/PC and all sorts of bits and bobs...hence the twist-go scooter that my XR is now, 6th gear from 25mph touch the throttle and it’s heading for the hills.

But the folks who ride GS’s Jeez that’s another thread...and yes I do know friends who own them 🙏

Offline smithy

• XR God
Reply #17 on: November 22, 2021, 07:23:20 PM

My XR pulls hard and clean from 2000rpm in top gear, even two-up...and I've got a 42T rear sprocket. A properly setup XR with "proper headers" such as Akra or Arrow, (not just a "decat"), and with a good tune using PC, RBE or Brentune is a wonderful thing. I'd like to find a GS which could pull away from my XR in the low rpm range. I've ridden a few 1250 GS's and they are a very nice machine with plenty of low down torque.... and they do what they're designed to do very well indeed....but not really comparible to the XR performance wise though.

Smithy.
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 07:24:30 PM by smithy

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #18 on: November 22, 2021, 07:59:12 PM
My XR pulls hard and clean from 2000rpm in top gear, even two-up...and I've got a 42T rear sprocket. A properly setup XR with "proper headers" such as Akra or Arrow, (not just a "decat"), and with a good tune using PC, RBE or Brentune is a wonderful thing. I'd like to find a GS which could pull away from my XR in the low rpm range. I've ridden a few 1250 GS's and they are a very nice machine with plenty of low down torque.... and they do what they're designed to do very well indeed....but not really comparible to the XR performance wise though.

Smithy.

Well assuming the 1260 multistrada is faster than the GS, answer is NO,  not even high gear high RPM, like maybe in 3rd below 4k the multi will poke it's nose ahead but then the XR comes back very quickly, claims about the XR being gutless low down are unfounded.

Offline smithy

• XR God
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2021, 10:33:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Antares [+]
Well assuming the 1260 multistrada is faster than the GS, answer is NO,  not even high gear high RPM, like maybe in 3rd below 4k the multi will poke it's nose ahead but then the XR comes back very quickly, claims about the XR being gutless low down are unfounded.

The 1260 Multi is very close to the XR performance wise...but the XR just has the edge over a 1/4 mile or on the track. There are quite a few youtube videos of head-to-head comparisons and all have similar results. On the normal roads there's practically nothing between them. I'll be very interested to see how the new V4 Multi goes up against the XR....Methinks the V4 Multi may come out on top in most areas.....time will tell. I was looking at the new 2022 model "Pikes Peak" V4 as a possible change....very spendy though.. :012:

Smithy.   
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 10:34:50 PM by smithy