Author Topic: Going back to GS - It was fun, but not perfect...  (Read 2936 times)

Kebabkev and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Going back to GS - It was fun, but not perfect...
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 10:52:20 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
My XR pulls hard and clean from 2000rpm in top gear, even two-up...and I've got a 42T rear sprocket. A properly setup XR with "proper headers" such as Akra or Arrow, (not just a "decat"), and with a good tune using PC, RBE or Brentune is a wonderful thing. I'd like to find a GS which could pull away from my XR in the low rpm range. I've ridden a few 1250 GS's and they are a very nice machine with plenty of low down torque.... and they do what they're designed to do very well indeed....but not really comparible to the XR performance wise though.

Smithy.

Exactly what I was sayin', and like yours, my XR pulls nicely from 2000rpm

Offline Sthap

• XR Member
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 11:42:26 PM
 Im lucky to have several motorcycles so I can pick the right one for the type of riding I doing that day. I chose the gs when riding dirt, class 4 dirt , and connecting roads. Good torque and it seems to jump out of slow corners. The bike picks up a weave north of 80, but I attribute that to the tires I run (TCK 80)
My XR is stock, standard tune and exhaust and in my view is flat below 4000. I don’t know if the US tune is different from the Euro tune (like the RR)and most likely what I am feeling is due to euro 5 and US emissions. I prefer this bike for high speed stuff and the occasional tour, my wife and I had great time when we took the bike to Maine. I retire next week and plan to do more of this, next place will be West Virginia
I have a RR and a Aprilia rsV4F for the track
Now if I had only one bike the gs would be the one because it could do everything above, it wouldn’t be the best at everything or the fastest top end but with the right tire it would make do
Sorry for the long winded post, I’m not the best word smith and I thought a should explain my self better

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #22 on: November 23, 2021, 03:49:53 PM
It’s funny you mentioning favourite bike...we have a road worthy test for our bikes each year over here,and was out a couple weeks ago getting my much modded K1200r Sport tested....took me years to get it how I wanted, but if I had to choose one it would be that.
Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 03:57:29 PM by Winger

Offline Sthap

• XR Member
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2021, 03:36:56 AM
Great bike, I sold my 2008 k1200s before i purchased the XR
The k bike had the usually clutch chatter that I sure are aware of and I thought I would sell it before I had to to replace the clutch basket and such
Deep down I wise BMW took the K bike to the next level instead of replacing it with the XR series

Offline Momo1970

• XR Member
Reply #24 on: November 25, 2021, 07:53:04 AM
I actually think that the XR low end luck of power is good for low traction roads. My friend with Brentune always complains about sliding his tires, while my non tuned version is stable and manageable power. Want more power simply rev the engine. As for the GS, I never liked this tractor of motor.

Online smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #25 on: November 25, 2021, 09:23:26 PM
*Originally Posted by Momo1970 [+]
I actually think that the XR low end luck of power is good for low traction roads. My friend with Brentune always complains about sliding his tires, while my non tuned version is stable and manageable power.

This shouldn't be an issue on the XR as the DTC will sort any loss of traction under power...unless it's turned off of course.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline RedCard

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 S1000 XR
  • Town: Bay Area, CA
Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 04:09:14 AM
I'm 56 and will get a GS when I grow up.

I'm coming off a K1600 and wanted to get light and sporty. I spent a couple hours testing both bikes (XR and GS) and found it a difficult decision. Both great bikes, but different. I decided on the XR now while I'm still feeling the hooligan, and the GS when I grow up.

Online af1-windy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 07:14:06 AM
*Originally Posted by RedCard [+]
I'm 56 and will get a GS when I grow up.

I'm coming off a K1600 and wanted to get light and sporty. I spent a couple hours testing both bikes (XR and GS) and found it a difficult decision. Both great bikes, but different. I decided on the XR now while I'm still feeling the hooligan, and the GS when I grow up.

I'm 62 and just swapped my Tiger sport for the XR cos the Tiger doesn't have enough pokey  :007: well, in fairness, it has a lot of go but not as much as the XR.. :020:

Considering a GS for my 80th..  :008:

:821: windy

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 08:10:11 AM
I currently have 9 points on my driving license...and a speed awareness course tomorrow....all acquired riding the X/R which really tells a story considering I/we run 5 other bikes, a van and 2 cars..... :034:

Online af1-windy

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Leeds
Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 09:07:16 AM
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I currently have 9 points on my driving license...and a speed awareness course tomorrow....all acquired riding the X/R which really tells a story considering I/we run 5 other bikes, a van and 2 cars..... :034:

:008: There has to be a market for a hivis vest with the words "Please pass, 9 points on licence" on the back.

:821: windy

dysfunctional