Author Topic: bmw connectedride cradle.  (Read 1789 times)

Online BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Re: bmw connectedride cradle.
Reply #20 on: November 22, 2021, 11:11:50 AM
Great that there are so many opinions on this, you are allowed to have a phone cradle if you want or not bother. The last few posts love the simplicity of the ride, and I respect that. I assume that you guys would not want the picture in post 4 in front of you!  :008:
I must say that I am in between, I would not want a dash full of screens as in post 4, but am happy with my phone mounted when out touring.
Pure simplicity of riding would probably be a Royal Enfield with no riding modes, no trick suspension etc, they do now have ABS as standard though.
Everyone to their own.

Online Mab1067

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
  • Town: PETERHEAD
Reply #21 on: November 22, 2021, 11:34:33 AM
Oh yeah, totally agree. Just wanted to remind everyone its about the ride out.

More screens and gizmos in Post 4 than the Millennium Falcon.
However does create some conversation on the safety aspect etc. Especially when you think about all the issue with cars drivers on phones etc. UK looking to make it illegal to use hand held to text etc.

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #22 on: November 22, 2021, 01:43:40 PM
To me, when I'm riding a planned route, it's less distracting to have a GPS showing/telling me I'm on that route instead of continually having to look for navigation confirmation. Also, unless I'm doing higher math, music helps me concentrate. Last, audiobooks are a godsend for avoiding highway hypnosis when crossing straight, flat, and boring sections of the U.S. (e.g., the great plains states).
Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:45:29 PM by JerryG

Offline lancaja

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 Ice Gray XR
  • Town: Odessa, FL
Reply #23 on: November 22, 2021, 01:58:05 PM
While I have high hopes for the cradle, I just wish that BMW would allow the play/pause button on my helmet system to actually pass through to the phone.  It already is using a bluetooth profile that can get the button press, why not pass it to the phone so you can actually pause the music from the helmet.

It seems like a safety issue if you were to get thrown from the bike in an accident.  I can hear you clearly Mr. Paramedic because my music won't stop.  I guess I could try to disconnect the sena from the base, but not all helmet speaker systems are easily removed from the helmet. 

I can just imagine trying to walk someone through stopping the music from the bmw controls while off the bike. 
Press menu down
Press the wheel left or right till you get to media (yes the wheel thing with little rubber pyramids on it)
Press menu down twice more
Now, press the wheel to the right again.

It seems like this could just be a "Press right from the pure view screen" to play or pause. 

It would even make sense to have two selectable shortcuts from pure view.  Press left for one and right for the other.  Left could be show next navigation step and right could be play/pause.

Now that I have finished my rant, I am looking forward to the new cradle. 

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #24 on: November 22, 2021, 02:23:53 PM
*Originally Posted by lancaja [+]
While I have high hopes for the cradle, I just wish that BMW would allow the play/pause button on my helmet system to actually pass through to the phone.  It already is using a bluetooth profile that can get the button press, why not pass it to the phone so you can actually pause the music from the helmet.

It seems like a safety issue if you were to get thrown from the bike in an accident.  I can hear you clearly Mr. Paramedic because my music won't stop.  I guess I could try to disconnect the sena from the base, but not all helmet speaker systems are easily removed from the helmet. 

I can just imagine trying to walk someone through stopping the music from the bmw controls while off the bike. 
Press menu down
Press the wheel left or right till you get to media (yes the wheel thing with little rubber pyramids on it)
Press menu down twice more
Now, press the wheel to the right again.

It seems like this could just be a "Press right from the pure view screen" to play or pause. 

It would even make sense to have two selectable shortcuts from pure view.  Press left for one and right for the other.  Left could be show next navigation step and right could be play/pause.

Now that I have finished my rant, I am looking forward to the new cradle.

Good rant; I contacted BMW about this. They said (1) they publish the BMW Connected interface standards for the wiz wheel/TFT so others (e.g., Sena, Cardo) can make their devices compatible (i.e., it's not BMW's fault that they don't); and (2) BMW's own helmet/comm system (which isn't marketed in the U.S.) interfaces so you can adjust volume via the wiz-wheel. After that conversation, I disconnected everything from my XR and reconnected my Sena directly to my phone (as the Sena "primary phone") and to my Garmin Nav VI (as the Sena "secondary phone") and everything works wonderfully. With my phone additionally connected to my Wunderlinq (not Wunderlich) Blackbox, I am also able to use the BMW wiz-wheel to control some aspects of my phone, most notably for me, I can zoom in and out while in the Kurviger Navigation App on my phone.

P.S. I suspect this means that if you have a BMW helmet/comm system, this new BMW cradle, and you only use the BMW Connected App on your phone, everything will work for you. Nothing new here; BMW just wants to capture everyone inside their Connected Ecosystem. I actually might have gone that direction except they don't market their helmets in the U.S. I could illegally import their non-DOT approved helmet, but I'm not willing to buy a helmet I can't easily return if it doesn't fit me right.

Offline lancaja

• XR Junior
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2021, 02:31:30 PM
That is hilarious.  BMW is already using the bluetooth standard profile AVRCP to "talk" with the phone.  That is how it uses the remote functionality now.  Why would they pass it through from other devices that we communicate with? I don't care about turning up and down the volume via the wiz wheel.  But stopping audio is really a safety concern.  I actually like the navigation that BMW has implemented.  I won't be using it until I can stop/start the audio with one click.  Don't care if that is via the wiz-wheel or the aftermarket helmet controls.

Online BobT

• XR Pro
Reply #26 on: November 22, 2021, 02:48:33 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
P.S. I suspect this means that if you have a BMW helmet/comm system, this new BMW cradle, and you only use the BMW Connected App on your phone, everything will work for you. Nothing new here; BMW just wants to capture everyone inside their Connected Ecosystem.

I thought that it was only Apple who wanted to capture people into their system with Apple only charger leads and Apple only headphones, then there is the Apple only IOS that won't work with much else.

Don't think that there are many people who use the BMW intercom, not in the UK nor in France. Our Cardo systems work fine with the BMW TFT.

Offline lancaja

• XR Junior
Reply #27 on: November 22, 2021, 03:37:27 PM
Can you pause music directly from the Cardo when it is connected to the bmw TFT and not directly to the phone?  I got rid of my Cardo before I purchased the XR and that would be enough for me to switch back.

Online BobT

• XR Pro
Reply #28 on: November 22, 2021, 03:51:03 PM
*Originally Posted by lancaja [+]
Can you pause music directly from the Cardo when it is connected to the bmw TFT and not directly to the phone?  I got rid of my Cardo before I purchased the XR and that would be enough for me to switch back.
I never listen to music so cannot answer your question, sorry. The Cardo has to be connected to the TFT for the navigation system and connected app to work from the phone. Perhaps if you never use the connected app then you don't need the TFT. The Cardo can be muted on the unit wherever it is connected to.

Offline lancaja

• XR Junior
Reply #29 on: November 22, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
Thanks for the reply!  Turning the volume down via the headset is an option (that for some reason I had not considered) in an emergency.  :)  Turning down the volume does not solve the play/pause issue as I listen to audio books on long tours and would have to try and rewind to get to a specific place in the book.  After watching the live session, it looks like the cradle adds wireless charging and the ability to zoom with the scroll wheel on the map.  The other functions are already available via the TFT (if you have one).

I am not as worried about potential vibrations, but do worry that I did not see a way to turn off the wireless charging.  For those of us that live in hot climates, wireless charging can be an issue because the phone gets hot.

It seems like a nice idea and after BMW adds functionality to the app, I may pick one up.  The good news is that it looks like the cradle will never need to be updated since it is just a way to communicate with the wonder wheel. 

dysfunctional