Author Topic: bmw connectedride cradle.  (Read 1785 times)

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Re: bmw connectedride cradle.
Reply #30 on: November 22, 2021, 05:06:45 PM
*Originally Posted by lancaja [+]
Thanks for the reply!  Turning the volume down via the headset is an option (that for some reason I had not considered) in an emergency.  :)  Turning down the volume does not solve the play/pause issue as I listen to audio books on long tours and would have to try and rewind to get to a specific place in the book.  After watching the live session, it looks like the cradle adds wireless charging and the ability to zoom with the scroll wheel on the map.  The other functions are already available via the TFT (if you have one).

I am not as worried about potential vibrations, but do worry that I did not see a way to turn off the wireless charging.  For those of us that live in hot climates, wireless charging can be an issue because the phone gets hot.

It seems like a nice idea and after BMW adds functionality to the app, I may pick one up.  The good news is that it looks like the cradle will never need to be updated since it is just a way to communicate with the wonder wheel.

When I connected my Sena to the my XR and my phone to the XR, the XR locked me out from changing the volume via the buttons on the Sena unit itself. That's what I contacted BMW to ask about it (see above). Before you switch back to Cardo, find out from a Cardo user if connecting their phone and their Cardo to the the XR first causes the same problem.

Online BobT

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR, R1250RS
  • Town: Perigueux
Reply #31 on: November 22, 2021, 05:42:11 PM
The volume and mute buttons on the Cardo work as described when connected to the TFT. Volume and mute are fine. We don't listen to music, but always have bike to bike and GPS instructions on as we always ride together.

Offline lancaja

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2021 Ice Gray XR
  • Town: Odessa, FL
Reply #32 on: November 22, 2021, 06:01:37 PM
My Sena S20 still allows for volume up/down if going through the TFT.  The push to play/pause and hands free button that activates the google assistant no longer work.

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 01:43:12 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
- It precludes the use of an anti-vibration component like Quad Lock's and using a phone without anti-vibration is a BAD idea (e.g., https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212803)

I'm updating/correcting my statement above: While reading through the listing next below, kind of buried at the very bottom, I found the statement second below.

Listing: https://bmw.europe-moto.com/gb/high-tech-bmw-motorrad/21033-bmw-connectedride-cradle-smartphone-holder.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2

Statement: "Being intended for use with a smartphone, the holder of course protects your phone from motorcycle vibrations."

This removes my biggest concern about the cradle, that it precludes use of an anti-vibration add-on component.

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Reply #34 on: November 23, 2021, 06:09:14 PM
The one thing I don't understand, and has been avoided in the BMW intro video too, is how these work. I understand there is a device which transfers inputs into B/T signals which are picked up by an app on the phone. That app allows selections. But can I select TuneIn radio for example, Or Google, or Settings, or Sena or Cardo app etc? The phone doesn't have a cursor. Is that functionality decide within the app?

To me there are these each with there +/-
-BMW cradle
-Wunderlinq
-Carpe Iter

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
Reply #35 on: November 23, 2021, 08:07:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
The one thing I don't understand, and has been avoided in the BMW intro video too, is how these work. I understand there is a device which transfers inputs into B/T signals which are picked up by an app on the phone. That app allows selections. But can I select TuneIn radio for example, Or Google, or Settings, or Sena or Cardo app etc? The phone doesn't have a cursor. Is that functionality decide within the app?

To me there are these each with there +/-
-BMW cradle
-Wunderlinq
-Carpe Iter

I wasn't able to find a BMW manual for the BMW ConnectedRide Cradle, but I was able to find a bunch of BMW Questions and Answers, some of which address your questions, at the link below.

https://support.bmw-motorrad.com/s/article-search?topic=Navigation&language=en_GB&searchKey=ConnectedRide%20Cradle&hashtags

Key points I got from these Q&As:
- Can I touch-operate my smartphone while riding? No. Touch-operation while riding is not possible.
- Only the BMW Motorrad Connected app can be operated by means of the Multi-Controller.
- You can navigate via the cradle and listen to music playback on your smartphone at the same time, but, if you have a TFT display, you have to use it to control playback and select tracks.
- To do tour planning, you have to dismount your phone and stand it up in portrait mode (in your hand). As soon as a planned tour is started, however, you put it in the cradle and ride the tour in landscape mode.
- The cradle is not suitable for off-road use.

dysfunctional