Author Seat Review - Gen 2 2021 S1000 XR - Standard vs Sargent vs Wunderlich  (Read 1907 times)

• Offline taaktavar6r   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles, CA
    Seat Review - Gen 2 2021 S1000 XR - Standard vs Sargent vs Wunderlich
    on: December 20, 2021, 02:16:51 am
    December 20, 2021, 02:16:51 am
    Hey All,

I'm here to give you my review of three seat options for a Gen 2 XR; standard height seat which came with the bike, Sargent REVolution Seat, and the Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT Seat.  I have a standard suspension 2021 S1000XR.  I am 6'1 (185.42 CM) barefoot, I usually wear a 30-32W, 32L in jeans (this is in inches).

Standard Height Seat

I have no pictures for this seat.  My first impressions of sitting on this seat on the showroom floor was that it was very conformtable.  The seat is shaped like a cup that your butt sits into.  I test rode the bike and came back a day or two later and bought the bike.  I took the bike along my go to twisty road route, I soon ran into problems.  I found I was constantly being pushed into the tank.  This problem was exacerbated whenever I applied medium-high brake pressure, and was going downhill.  When going downhill,  I was essentially pushed into the tank the entire time.  This bike was going to be unrideable if I could not find a better seat, which was going to be heartbraking because it was the ideal bike for my riding style/preferences...beside the seat.

Cushioning: I had no issues with the comfort of this seat regarding padding

Seat to Peg: I had no issues with comfort regarding the seat to peg distance.  Knees and ankles were fine.

Sargent REVolution Sea with DTX

This was the first seat I tried to replace the stock seat.  You have to send your stock seat to Sargent and they will drop in their own padding and seat cover.  They quote a 48 hour turn around time (true for me).  They allow you to do a couple hundred mile test ride, if you don't like it, they'll provide a label to ship the seat back (you may have to pay like $20, I forget) and put the stock padding and cover on while giving you a full refund.  You have many different options with this seat in terms of stiching, welt, trims, trim colors, and even rider and passenger heated seat with remote options.  The biggest thing you must do is make sure this seat has their DTX cover!  This is their version of a grippy seat.  The DTX is no way over grippy, but it does the job.  If you don't choose the DTX, the seat will come with their CarbonFX (CFX) cover, which has zero grip whatsoever and you will slide around all day making the bike unrideable again.  This seat is a big improvement over the stock seat for me, no being pushed into the tank at all.  With this seat though, my hips are ever so slightly rotated forward.  So when your butt skips across the seat, it catches your butt and holds onto a small part of it.  I  think is partly due to the cushioning as well.  The sargent seat is not soft or overly firm, but it is more on the firm side.  However where they cut the channel in their seat (what they're known for), I think it gives a little room for the seat to slightly cave which is why a part of your butt gets caught here.

Price: Out the door - $449.90

Seat Height: Sargent's Website says they're very careful to not alter the seat height, I couldn't feel any noticeable difference.

Seat to Peg: I had no issues with comfort regarding the seat to peg distance.  Knees and ankles were fine.

Sport Riding: Seat is very easy to move around on, no issues here.

Wunderlich AKTIVKOMFORT Seat

This is the second seat I tried after my stock seat.  I live in United States and placed my order for this on September 8th, 2021.  I received this on December 13th, 2021.  The long lead time was the seat had to be made, and was shipping via ocean from Germany, combine that with the supply chain crunch = longer lead time.  The United State store may have them in stock now, you will have to check their website.  You can do a couple hundred mile test ride, and if you don't like it, they'll provide a full refund.  You will have to pay for shipping it back to their store, I assume they provide a cheap shipping label option.  This seat has two options, standard and tall.  The site states the standard is 5mm lower than OEM seat height, the tall is 40mm higher than OEM seat height, I went with the standard.  The earlier versions of this seat had seat pans sourced directly from BMW, now they source them directly from BMW's supplier.  So, no fitment issues whatsoever.  I did a back to back ride to compare this seat to the Sargent Seat.  100 mile loop on the Sargent, ate a quick lunch at home, and then the exact same 100 mile loop on the Wunderlich.  As soon as I sat on the Wunderlich it immediately felt better.  I could feel more support in the area where the Sargent ever so slightly caved in.  The Wunderlich does not have this slight cave in.  I don't find the Wunderlich overly firm, but it is slightly more firm than the Sargent.  I felt like I have slightly more room on this seat, and it was slightly slightly better to move around on during sporty riding.  After finishing this ride, my butt was less sore than when I completed 100 miles on the Sargent, even though I had more total miles in the saddle after completing my trip with the Wunderlich.  Probably due to a small part of your butt catching as I mentioned above, and all of the pressure being put their.  However, I wasn't in agony or anything after riding on the Sargent.

Price: Out the door - $740.05

Seat Height: I couldn't feel any noticeable difference from the other two seats.

Sport Riding: Seat is very easy to move around on, no issues here.

Conclusion

The Wunderlich seat is the winner for me.  I do want to note that in my few months use with the Sargent Seat, I had gotten used to it and was fine with it.  To be honest, if I hadn't placed the order for the Wunderlich a few months ago, I don't know if I would be searching for another seat right now.  I might've stayed with the Sargent.  Fit/finish/quality is equal between the two.  Netiher of these seats lock you in and you will slightly skip across it.  This is no different than when I test rode a 2021 1250 GS or Multistrade V4, or most other bikes I assume.  I was considering trying the BMW factory lowered seat as when I sat on it, it felt comfortable when I sat on it in the showroom, and from reading online, it seems to not push you into the tank.  Again though, you'd be sitting in a bowl which would make moving around on the seat more difficult.  I'm also not sure how much lower this seat is than the stock, which could cause potential comfort issues.  Both seats do not use animals parts in their covering.  Alcantara, which is used on the Wunderlich, is a synthetic suede.  I will be sticking with the Wunerdlich Seat and selling my Sargent seat.  If you want to compare the Wunderlich seat to another one yourself, I suggest you wait until you get your Wunderlich Seat.  Then buy the other one as the Wunderlich will most likely take the longest to receive.  This way you can compare both within their refund period.

• Offline runnerhiker   us

• XR Pro  ‐    229

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    Re: Seat Review - Gen 2 2021 S1000 XR - Standard vs Sargent vs Wunderlich
    Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 06:35:57 am
    December 20, 2021, 06:35:57 am
    very good information, thank you.

I have a 2019 Gen 1 and I had the same seat issues you mentioned.  I had a similar seat search and results as yours.  Except I went one step further: my standard Wunderlich was ok for six months then I wanted more, so I had a seat customizer modify my Wunderlich.  I think that's my final answer.

BMW, are you listening?  Why can't you make a decent seat for the XR?  I somewhat know the answer: the height of the seat and the shape of the frame results in BMW only being able to make a "showroom floor" seat.
    Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 06:37:02 am by runnerhiker
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2

• Online garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    163

Online garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 02:06:14 pm
    December 20, 2021, 02:06:14 pm
    taaktavar6r,

Great write up on the aftermarket seats for the Gen II XR. Thanks for the data.

Best,

Doc :028:
    2021 XR Sport

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    373

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Reply #3 on: December 21, 2021, 09:04:16 pm
    December 21, 2021, 09:04:16 pm
    I've the standard high seat on the gen2. Just measured it, when you put a bar over the widest rider section, the vinyl sits 8mm below. But one can easily move that down to 28mm, so up to 20mm of air under it. Would like to know  if the standard seat is the same

Been looking at options too. I personally don't like the wunderlich logo and design. I think a 3D stitched design is  way nicer.

Saw this and have asked them if it has enough stretch for my higher seat. Comes with a memory foam padding Not cheap either at € 265 but looks great

https://www.tappezzeriaitalia.it/gb/s-1000-xr-20-21/520-seat-cover-for-bmw-s-1000-xr-20-21-djanet-1-comfort-system-model-8374293341389.html

The other one is Luimoto in Canada, they currently only offer a different cover for the M-sport seat, and would cost me even more

• Offline Saint   us

• XR Member  ‐    37

Offline Saint

• XR Member
    • Chris Francis
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Centreville, VA
    Reply #4 on: December 21, 2021, 10:10:14 pm
    December 21, 2021, 10:10:14 pm
    I used a custom motorcycle seat builder in Rockville, MD to build my custom pan-up two-up seat and its perfect.  If you need more information and/or photos, then please send me an email.
    Saint

• Offline taaktavar6r   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Offline taaktavar6r

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles, CA
    Reply #5 on: December 22, 2021, 05:21:09 am
    December 22, 2021, 05:21:09 am
    I rode my buddy's 2016 XR.  He bought it used, it was a low suspenion model with the standard seat I believe.  Most comfortable bike I've ridden to date.  Didn't have to pinch the tank with my knees even.  With the current gen XR the seat is too small to comofrtably fit your whole butt, due to the frame design.  I find it interesting that BMW refined the bike in may ways, except they made the seat and handle bars more agressive.  I had a ground up custom seat built.  It was very comfortable.  To get the amount of room I wanted for my butt, the seat had to be raised 1-2 inches (seat slants backwards, more height you add, the more room you get).  Unfortunately this put me in a lot more wind, but the main issue was the angle I was reaching down to the bars at.  To be fair though, I guess this is supposed to be a slightly lean forward bike, which removes any seat issues for me.  I tend to try and ride it a lot like GS style though, which putss more of your butt in the seat/more pressure.
    Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 05:22:09 am by taaktavar6r

dysfunctional