Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing side panels  (Read 2716 times)

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
Removing side panels
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
I just took apart the beak on my bike and thought I would tell everyone how it comes apart.  The side panels on the bike (where the S1000xr decals are) are held on by one screw (accessed from the inside below the beak) and 5 or 6 clips.  Simply pull the panel straight out, releasing it from the clips.  You will have to hold the black trim part (that runs along to the seat) and work your way back, releasing each clip as you go.  Nothing real fancy, just be careful as you pull.
I also had to dismantle the beak to re-wire my Nav V to the correct plug, and every screw that holds it together is a torx bit, t-25.  You do not have to remove the windshield, as the screw below it does not need to come off.
Please do note the depth of the shoulder of each screw.  There are maybe 3 different shoulder lengths for the depth of the bodywork that it goes into - don't ask how I know, as you can easily put the wrong one in, and it doesn't bottom out.  In particular, the 2 screws  on the black trim at the top of the rad.  Very tall shoulder that gets screwed into a rubber grommet.  Hope this helps.

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
  • Bike: Fast White One
  • Town: Dyserth, N Wales
Re: Removing side panels
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:33:14 PM »
Cheers Stinky. I am thinking of installing some HID lights and may need to remove the side panels to house the ballasts so your post has come in handy.  :002:

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 01:12:08 PM »
Don't suppose you removed the ignition surround too ? I need to do this soon to run the cable from my powered tank bag.

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »
Nope, I didn't get into it that far.  Just take your time and poke around a bit.  The plastics seem quite flexible when looking for the clips that hold it all together.  Good luck with it and please tell when you figure it out.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 02:42:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Don't suppose you removed the ignition surround too ? I need to do this soon to run the cable from my powered tank bag.

I tapped into the power supply on the left hand side where the Jack plug goes for the BMW charger the supply stays live for about a minute or so after you switch the ignition off and it fused.
Hope this helps

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:45:54 PM »
Hi

I am fitting a PDM60 so really need to run it back under the tank etc.