Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering to the right cure ?  (Read 2950 times)

Offline XRBumble

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Dorset
Steering to the right cure ?
« on: June 18, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »
This may help some or may be a red herring, but my bike drifted to the right with 'hands off' check. Nothing major, so others may have a different issue. I tried the test with it on the centre stand and front wheel off the ground and noticed as others have mentioned that the bars tended to go left. I've left mine over night for the last couple of nights with the bars on full lock to the right, the steering lock works either side so not a security issue.

I tried it again this morning and drift has gone, it runs straight with 'hands off'. I'll keep leaving it locked up with the steering to the right  for a while longer to see if starts to drift left and maybe alternate. I'm guessing all the wires and cables tend to take a 'set' when left in one position for long periods so hopefully this could help others.  :152:

Offline caniaffordit

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Waltham
Re: Steering to the right cure ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:00:42 PM »
mine is moving right, it shouldn't. The dealer claimed its down to the weight of the exhaust. Right, and I'm a pixie who lives down bottom of garden . If you have enough speed the gyroscopic action of wheels should keep you straight and upright unless something is out. So is there a slight twist in forks ? Or perhaps the damper is doing it , or as you say perhaps the cables get a bit tight and it pulls it over.  I'll give your  bit a go and see what happens, Be a laugh if its actually that but I am going to look at the damper as well.

Offline XRBumble

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Dorset
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 03:25:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by caniaffordit [+]
mine is moving right, it shouldn't. The dealer claimed its down to the weight of the exhaust. Right, and I'm a pixie who lives down bottom of garden . If you have enough speed the gyroscopic action of wheels should keep you straight and upright unless something is out. So is there a slight twist in forks ? Or perhaps the damper is doing it , or as you say perhaps the cables get a bit tight and it pulls it over.  I'll give your  bit a go and see what happens, Be a laugh if its actually that but I am going to look at the damper as well.

Did you find a cure and /or try leaving it on full right lock ?

Offline George72

• XR Junior
  • Greetings from Brazil
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by XRBumble [+]
This may help some or may be a red herring, but my bike drifted to the right with 'hands off' check. Nothing major, so others may have a different issue. I tried the test with it on the centre stand and front wheel off the ground and noticed as others have mentioned that the bars tended to go left. I've left mine over night for the last couple of nights with the bars on full lock to the right, the steering lock works either side so not a security issue.

I tried it again this morning and drift has gone, it runs straight with 'hands off'. I'll keep leaving it locked up with the steering to the right  for a while longer to see if starts to drift left and maybe alternate. I'm guessing all the wires and cables tend to take a 'set' when left in one position for long periods so hopefully this could help others.  :152:

I did the same test. And it worked, no more drifting to the right. :047:

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »
Mine does the same, pulls right.  Seems like a fairly easy, fix.  I will give it a shot and see. 
Thanks

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »
I have parked mine on center stand - with handlebars locked to the right for 3 days and nights - and so far it still wants to wander to the right.  I will re-balance saddle bags as I do have a couple of pounds difference in their daily load (air pump and tool roll along with first aid gear in the right side) and see if that helps. 

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
  • Town: Sunny Surrey
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 02:48:47 PM »
When I first got the bike it ran straight and true. But recently I've noticed it pulling to the left. Had a car jack under the headers the other day to replace the front tyre and noticed that the bars when under no load always swung to the left.

Since then I've been leaving the steering lock to the right and would you believe it the bike runs straight again.

The theory that it's memory in the cables etc is proved in my book. Thank you OP

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 11:15:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by caniaffordit [+]

Just fitted a Mivv Suono end can. Guess what? It flies true and straight, hands off!
How is the Fairy Glen these days?  :001:

dysfunctional