Author Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69  (Read 3087 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Warree   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    245
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline Warree

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 245
    • Town: Pembury
    • Country: gb
    Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    on: February 16, 2022, 08:51:54 pm
    February 16, 2022, 08:51:54 pm
    As I have asked some questions of you about this Bren Tune Flash I thought that I would share my first days with it.

    I sent in the file and questionnaire on Saturday and received the map Monday morning; which they must have done on Sunday :)

    I installed the map without any major issues and the result is fantastic:

    Start-up is snappier and punchy before settling immediately into a steady, throaty idle
    Throttle response is stronger, smoother and feels more linear with no discernible flat spots
    Engine sounds much better and more “solid” throughout the rev range.
    I haven’t tested maximum revs yet but it is said to be 12500rpm now
    There are satisfying (but not overdone) pops on strong deceleration/overrun in Dynamic and Dynamic Pro. Not as much as the gen1 XR (which I missed sometimes) but the Gen1 pops could be a bit excessive for some tastes.

    I always really liked this bike but I like it a lot more now. Some of the improvements are difficult to describe effectively but engine seems more sorted, satisfying and “connected”


  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    203
    • ***
      #1

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 203
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 08:21:36 am
    February 17, 2022, 08:21:36 am
    I don't know about the rules in UK, but in EU flashing your ECU voids your warranty.
    A guy from Italy recently blew the engine on his brand new XR, fitted with Akra headers and remapped, and BMW voided his warranty when they discovered that the ECU had been tampered with. He had to replace the engine at his own cost
    Even though the owner restored the bike back to stock map/exhaust before taking it to the dealer, BMW was still able to see everything in the ECU logs
    Here's the video where he explains what happened (you can use subtitles to translate to english)


  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1602
    • *****
      #2

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1602
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #2 on: February 17, 2022, 10:29:01 am
    February 17, 2022, 10:29:01 am
    I think the voiding of warranty for any engine-related damage - would apply worldwide.     

    On the map-creation on a Sunday - since Bren don't dyno your bike, it is likely that the map is generic in as much as it is one of perhaps 20 versions they have sold and resold.  Pick the closest and send out.

    The results are interesting, though.  :028:


  • Offline Warree   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    245
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Warree

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 245
    • Town: Pembury
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #3 on: February 17, 2022, 08:51:30 pm
    February 17, 2022, 08:51:30 pm
    I am sure that you are correct but I was still pleased to get it on the weekend  :028:

  • Offline the bartender   ca

    • XR Pro  ‐    151
    • ***
      #4

    Offline the bartender

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 151
    • Town: Vancouver
    • Country: ca
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #4 on: February 17, 2022, 11:12:45 pm
    February 17, 2022, 11:12:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
    it is likely that the map is generic in as much as it is one of perhaps 20 versions they have sold and resold.  Pick the closest and send out.


    the beauty of bikes/engines that have a wideband.

  • Offline BNAHOSS   us

    • XR Member  ‐    56
    • **
      #5

    Offline BNAHOSS

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 56
    • Bike: ‘21 XR
    • Town: Nashville, TN
    • Country: us
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #5 on: February 18, 2022, 01:41:39 am
    February 18, 2022, 01:41:39 am
    *Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
    I don't know about the rules in UK, but in EU flashing your ECU voids your warranty.
    A guy from Italy recently blew the engine on his brand new XR, fitted with Akra headers and remapped, and BMW voided his warranty when they discovered that the ECU had been tampered with. He had to replace the engine at his own cost
    Even though the owner restored the bike back to stock map/exhaust before taking it to the dealer, BMW was still able to see everything in the ECU logs
    Here's the video where he explains what happened (you can use subtitles to translate to english)

    For BMW to void a warranty the failure would have to point to the modification. Certainly putting a set of headers on wouldn’t cause engine failure. Does my Sprint race air filter void the warranty?

    Taking a deep dive into and remapping the ECU would. The BT makes relatively minor tweaks, most of which have all to do with emissions, effectively clearing its throat and giving it a suppository!

    Either way, he owns the handheld. Blow up the engine and flash it back to OEM! Bam! :745:
    stupidity has a knack of getting its way ~ Albert Camus

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    203
    • ***
      #6

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 203
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #6 on: February 18, 2022, 08:02:02 am
    February 18, 2022, 08:02:02 am
    *Originally Posted by BNAHOSS [+]
    For BMW to void a warranty the failure would have to point to the modification. Certainly putting a set of headers on wouldn’t cause engine failure. Does my Sprint race air filter void the warranty?

    Taking a deep dive into and remapping the ECU would. The BT makes relatively minor tweaks, most of which have all to do with emissions, effectively clearing its throat and giving it a suppository!

    Either way, he owns the handheld. Blow up the engine and flash it back to OEM! Bam! :745:

    From the experience of this guy from Italy, BMW obviously has a zero tolerance when it comes to remapping the ecu.
    He restored the stock map back before he claimed the warranty but BMW still managed to detect that the ECU was modified. They obviously have a flash counter ans mileage sync hidden somewhere in the software…
    Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 08:04:13 am by esso_sa

  • Offline Belco100   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    329
    • ***
      #7

    Offline Belco100

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 329
    • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
    • Town: Essex
    • Country: gb
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 01:08:24 pm
    February 18, 2022, 01:08:24 pm
    *Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
    A guy from Italy recently blew the engine on his brand new XR, fitted with Akra headers and remapped ...

    That must have been one terrible remap  :005: or that engine was going to blow anyway. There are literally hundreds of S1000RR/R/XRs that have Akras and a remap of some kind and they all run trouble free. The engines on these bikes are pretty strong.

    I have the Bren Tune on mine and love it, really adds to the bikes rideability, slightly nosier and removes the high rev start-up. I had the same on my Gen1 and if you reset the bike back to standard you can re-use the handheld flasher on your next bike.

  • Offline runnerhiker   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    229
    • ***
      #8

    Offline runnerhiker

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 229
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    • Country: us
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #8 on: February 18, 2022, 04:38:42 pm
    February 18, 2022, 04:38:42 pm
    I watched the whole video, with English sub titles.  The guy sounds like a used car salesman, how can he talk for so long without stopping?  My only undisputed takeaway from the video is - when you flash the ECU, it will leave evidence that you flashed the ECU.  It didn't take me 16 minutes to say that!
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    203
    • ***
      #9

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 203
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Bren Tune Handheld Flash Stage 1 on K69
    Reply #9 on: February 18, 2022, 05:00:22 pm
    February 18, 2022, 05:00:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
    That must have been one terrible remap  :005: or that engine was going to blow anyway. There are literally hundreds of S1000RR/R/XRs that have Akras and a remap of some kind and they all run trouble free. The engines on these bikes are pretty strong.

    He made a separate video where he opened up the destroyed engine, to see was the failure caused by a remap or something else.
    Looks like remap was not the cause (no typical signs of detonation or lean mixture). It appears that one of the intake valves broke at high rpm's, which then led to a chain reaction (piston slammed into it until the connecting rod broke). BMW would probably replace the engine under warranty had he not re-flashed the ECU...
    Here's that video



    What my point is - if your bike is under warranty, why risk voiding it for a slightly better throttle response ? Yes, these engines run strong, but there are also cases where they've decided to let go, such as this one. And in case it fails, it's obviously better to have it covered by a warranty instead of paying it from your own pocket
    Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 06:37:34 pm by esso_sa