Author Engine Emissions warning light staying on  (Read 1317 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline stuggyzx10   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    9
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline stuggyzx10

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 9
    • Bike: BMW 1000XR SE
    • Town: GLASGOW
    • Country: gb
    Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    on: March 21, 2022, 02:28:54 pm
    March 21, 2022, 02:28:54 pm
    Afternoon seeking some advice if possible....had a run today on my 2018 Xr and according to the owners manual that came with the bike the emissions warning light has decided to turn itself on..bike runs as normal no other dashboard warning light or warning text in dash...just the light stays on it is not flashing just stays on...i have  a MIVV end can would this be the issue and can it be deleted through Motoscan app or is it a case of a trip to the dealers who will rob me of my cash??....
    Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:43:36 pm by stuggyzx10

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #1

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 07:07:19 pm
    March 21, 2022, 07:07:19 pm
    *Originally Posted by stuggyzx10 [+]
    Afternoon seeking some advice if possible....had a run today on my 2018 Xr and according to the owners manual that came with the bike the emissions warning light has decided to turn itself on..bike runs as normal no other dashboard warning light or warning text in dash...just the light stays on it is not flashing just stays on...i have  a MIVV end can would this be the issue and can it be deleted through Motoscan app or is it a case of a trip to the dealers who will rob me of my cash??....

    Emissions warning light..?? Didn't know we had one.. :027: Do you mean the little triangle shaped orange warning light between the indicator arrows..?? If it has come on there will be an error message below in the LCD. There will also be a fault code stored....you'll need to get the codes read using a GS-911 or Motoscan, they'll tell you exactly what the issue is.

    Edit: The pic you've now shown is the engine malfunction light...you need to get that looked at pronto.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 11:57:07 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline stuggyzx10   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    9
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline stuggyzx10

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 9
    • Bike: BMW 1000XR SE
    • Town: GLASGOW
    • Country: gb
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 07:41:56 pm
    March 21, 2022, 07:41:56 pm
    Hi Smithy its not that light but the small orange one light bottom left on the dash has an engine shape on it in the manual it is an emissions light apparently it has decided to turn itself on and wont go out.......have also used my motoscan and it has no error codes stored :187:
    Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 07:46:27 pm by stuggyzx10

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #3

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:01:15 am
    March 22, 2022, 12:01:15 am
    *Originally Posted by stuggyzx10 [+]
    Hi Smithy its not that light but the small orange one light bottom left on the dash has an engine shape on it in the manual it is an emissions light apparently it has decided to turn itself on and wont go out.......have also used my motoscan and it has no error codes stored :187:

    If the light has come on...there "WILL" be fault codes stored. What version of Motoscan and interface did you use...?? A GS-911 will definitely pick up the fault. Could be something simple like a sticking exhaust flap/valve....or something more serious.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:36:01 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1073
    • *****
      #4

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1073
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:34:03 am
    March 22, 2022, 02:34:03 am
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    Ok, it's actually an "engine malfunction warning light". I don't know where they get "emissions light" from.??...If the light has come on...there "WILL" be fault codes stored. What version of Motoscan and interface did you use...?? A GS-911 will definitely pick up the fault. Could be something simple like a sticking exhaust flap/valve....or something more serious.

    Smithy.

    Yellow engine is emissions only, all serious faults are handled by the warning triangle and error message display. It's fine to continue riding the bike if you have to but it's likely some issue with either O2s, cat or exhaust valve,  should get it checked out either way, and yes, motoscan or gs911 should be able to tell exactly what the issue is and clear it once it's fixed. With motoscan make sure you're looking in the correct module. Some error codes only come up in KOMBI, some are part of MOT, some are in the BCO, not sure which one this would fall under
    Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:36:22 am by Antares

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #5

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 02:41:43 am
    March 22, 2022, 02:41:43 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Yellow engine is emissions only, all serious faults are handled by the warning triangle and error message display. It's fine to continue riding the bike if you have to but it's likely some issue with either O2s, cat or exhaust valve,  should get it checked out either way, and yes, motoscan or gs911 should be able to tell exactly what the issue is and clear it once it's fixed. With motoscan make sure you're looking in the correct module. Some error codes only come up in KOMBI, some are part of MOT, some are in the BCO, not sure which one this would fall under

    Hmmm...my owners manual says nothing about "emissions" for the little orange engine light. It does say engine "electronics" though.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 02:44:59 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1073
    • *****
      #6

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1073
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 05:34:21 am
    March 22, 2022, 05:34:21 am
    Odd... is that for a Gen 1? Maybe Euro 4s changed some of the meanings compared to Euro 3s like how they have a different diagnostic port. Honestly not sure.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2206
    • *****
      #7

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2206
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 07:37:23 pm
    March 22, 2022, 07:37:23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Odd... is that for a Gen 1? Maybe Euro 4s changed some of the meanings compared to Euro 3s like how they have a different diagnostic port. Honestly not sure.

    Yes, mine is a Gen-1 '17 model Euro-4. When I fitted headers and removed the exhaust flapper motor, it threw a fault code but no fault light. I fitted a "servo buddy", deleted the fault code and it's been fine ever since...this was over 4 years ago.

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline stuggyzx10   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    9
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline stuggyzx10

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 9
    • Bike: BMW 1000XR SE
    • Town: GLASGOW
    • Country: gb
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 08:53:54 pm
    March 22, 2022, 08:53:54 pm
    Thanks for info will have another look in the different
     motoscan modules see if any code is registered mine is 2018 and defo states emission light and safe to ride but will increase pollutant emissions............ mine has the obd port as in the cars not the round stye port...i have version 1.83 of motoscan
    Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 09:01:29 pm by stuggyzx10

  • Offline Benhur   mt

    • XR Member  ‐    20
    • **
      #9

    Offline Benhur

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 20
    • Bike: S1000xr
    • Town: Birkirkara
    • Country: mt
    Re: Engine Emissions warning light staying on
    Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 09:17:01 pm
    March 22, 2022, 09:17:01 pm
    mine is a 17 with an euro 4 OBD II connector....it also says the engine symbol is related to emissions...i did have this light come on, when i added petrol additive to the fuel (injector cleaner as part of my servicing routine)....it cleared on its own after riding well over 30 minutes at a stretch...

    R