Author Battery charging  (Read 1736 times)

• Offline Ed.   gb

• XR Member  ‐    42
    • Topic Author

Offline Ed.

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: Hastings
    Battery charging
    on: March 28, 2022, 06:59:02 am
    March 28, 2022, 06:59:02 am
    I ride at least every other weekend, more if I can. What level of inactivity do you think requires popping the bike on a trickle charger? I'm getting various answers from my riding friends.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3580

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Battery charging
    Reply #1 on: March 28, 2022, 09:55:08 am
    March 28, 2022, 09:55:08 am
    You missed out the punch line....how far do you ride, if it’s a decent distance I wouldn’t bother period, I currently run 6 bikes so there always something left standing and they’ll stand for months and still start, but if I haven’t been using a bike will put it on charge after 6/8 weeks, but i’ve Also missed out the punch line run everything on lithium.

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    637

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 10:38:08 am
    March 28, 2022, 10:38:08 am
    *Originally Posted by Ed. [+]
    I ride at least every other weekend, more if I can. What level of inactivity do you think requires popping the bike on a trickle charger? I'm getting various answers from my riding friends.

We will all have different experiences so you will get multiple "solutions" from different people.

You need to experiment as there are so many variables such as the length of your journey each fortnight and how frequently you stop and start the bike. Does the bike have any security kit consuming power when the bike is parked? How big is the battery? A mate with a BMW R-GS or RT will have a 20Ah battery which will power an alarm a lot longer than the tiddler on the XR. The mate's advice might not be relevant to the XR.

Start by charging the battery to full capacity. Go for a ride. Do not use the charger until you ride the bike in 14 days. If the bike starts then happy days. if this cycle repeats over subsequent 14 day periods then you are adding enough charge on your rides. if you find that bike starting becomes sluggish then perhaps your fortnightly rides are too short to replace the power used when starting, or you have a weak battery. As the battery ages, your experience might change. If this causes you anxiety then carry a jump start pack and learn how to use it at home.

• Offline Salem   nl

• XR Pro  ‐    380

Offline Salem

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 04:36:05 pm
    March 28, 2022, 04:36:05 pm
    Without alarm and keyless a good lead acid battery should last weeks, if not months. Only the clock is using a milliamp max

With alarm and/or keyless the drain on the battery will increase significantly. Assume it's 30 mA with both (just a wild guess). Then during a week (7*24 hrs) it will drain 5.04 Ah. That's way more than a whole Li-ion battery, and enough to put a serious dent in a lead acid performance. So likely it's not 30 mA, but 10 mA. Would like to check it but the fuses in my Fluke are gone. Difficult to find...

• Offline runnerhiker   us

• XR Pro  ‐    229

Offline runnerhiker

• XR Pro
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: Niwot CO USA
    Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 06:53:50 am
    March 29, 2022, 06:53:50 am
    I leave my bikes hooked up to a Battery Tender all the time, I've been doing this for years with great results.

A battery tender is NOT a trickle charger, you cannot do what I do with a trickle charger, it would ruin the battery eventually.  The brand name Battery Tender is not the only battery tender available.

What's the difference?  A trickle charger reduces the charging amperage to a trickle but it never reduces it to zero.  A battery tender looks at the voltage and it will reduce the amperage to zero, thus it can be left connected to the battery all the time.
    '19 S1000XR
    '20 R1250 RS
    '22 Kawasaki ZH2

• Offline MyzTied   us

• XR Member  ‐    51

Offline MyzTied

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Virginia USA
    Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 12:49:57 am
    June 29, 2022, 12:49:57 am

*Originally Posted by runnerhiker [+]
    I leave my bikes hooked up to a Battery Tender all the time, I've been doing this for years with great results.

A battery tender is NOT a trickle charger, you cannot do what I do with a trickle charger, it would ruin the battery eventually.  The brand name Battery Tender is not the only battery tender available.

What's the difference?  A trickle charger reduces the charging amperage to a trickle but it never reduces it to zero.  A battery tender looks at the voltage and it will reduce the amperage to zero, thus it can be left connected to the battery all the time.

:0461:
    Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 12:51:06 am by MyzTied