Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Took the XR on the first long distance to the Nordschleife  (Read 2511 times)

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
Just come back from another one of our twice yearly trips to the Nurburgring on the XR

Have to say she performed brilliantly  :001:

We were a little late in going this year, normally head out for the first trip to Germany in May, then again August, but what with the weather we held off......... that was pointless  :015:

Between Nottingham and Hull to catch the ferry to Zebrugge i managed to stay dry, Zebrugge to the Eifel region of Germany however it was torrential........... no, actually it was biblical levels of rain

Never mind, the Sunday started a little grey and overcast but come 1.30pm the sun was out and the car park starting to fill up:

images no longer available

Now I'm not going to sit here a profess that I'm some 'king of the ring' but I've done this trip for at least the last 8 years on a wide range of bikes, Ducati's, KTM RC8's, Blades, Tuono V4's, S1000r...I'm sure there are more.

That said the XR was brilliant.

Even in the rain riding over it was bearable and i hate wet weather riding, everything just felt sure footed and progressive.

Having the sport model it gave me the options of tweaking the suspension a little throughout the first day , i must say that for what is effectively a big bike, i could happily run with the lads on the 1000cc superbikes in most part.

So Sunday ended up being a really good day and all were impressed with the XR:

Now the Monday started off hot and just got hotter,so whilst we waited for the evening session to start at 5pm we headed off for one of our ride outs on the frankly amazing roads throughout the Eiffel region. If you've never been i can't recommend it enough, everywhere is biking heaven so whether you just fancy a couple of laps on the Ring its still worth going for the roads throughout all the forest regions.

Spent a day in Cochem which was really hot, river was high this year so they've had loads of rain but its such a nice place so recommend a visit or two:

Anyway......not to worry, it was still a good trip and we're looking to go back again end of July/August, hopefully we'll get a full weekend of dry weather.

If you've never been, and want to go, then maybe we can set up a few of us for a trip some point before the year is out.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Re: Took the XR on the first long distance to the Nordschleife
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
damodici looks like a great trip, great photos  :047: looks like you got a bit of a mixed bag with the weather but at least you got some dry tack time.
I've only done the Ring once on a K1200s in the damp  :005: good fun I'm not sure I'd trust myself in dry!

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Never done the 'Ring, I'd be sh1t scared of the loons in cars   :156:

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 04:37:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jockser [+]
Never done the 'Ring, I'd be sh1t scared of the loons in cars   :156:

Same here! The roads around the ring look more appealing than the ring itself!

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
Honestly chaps, I can understand the apprehension but it's such an exhilarating bit of road

That's what it is, a toll road and you ride it like a superb set of bends on your favorite local hoon around.

It's too long to treat like a track, you just get on, keep an eye in your mirrors, stay to the right if a fast approaching car is coming then get back out to the correct line.

The roads around the Eifel region are phenomenal, but I'd still recommend a lap or two before you write it off as I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy yourselves.

Having said that my first couple of laps I followed a few mates that knew the track, but it's still easy to just trundle around if you just want the experience.

I'll let people know when I'm heading there again, more than happy to just ride over with you if you want, I'm sure everyone would like the experience whether they ventured on the Nordschleife or not.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:15:29 PM »
Guess we have been half a dozen times to watch WSB rounds next door on the new track and then nip round the corner to see the carryings on the old circuit never held any interest for me,on occasion you'll get get the odd guy on a bike that doesn't look to bad but compared to the quick guys in the cars look very slow.

You'll see all the big bucks cars potter round and then the local guy in his trick 3 series Beemer saloon comes round at warp speed and its a real eye opener,oh and the Ring taxi with the the driver and 3 punters in being drifted sideways. :005:

And yes the roads round there are very special when it's not raining!!!.

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:54 AM »
Did the pilgrimage in 1997 on a tuned up Yamaha TDM 850,  i am not faint hearted but 2 laps were enough for me. Heard the start / finish line and the back straight have altered but the memory of a powder blue porsche 911 track day car screeching up behind me just missing me and the 52 seater coach full of old ladies with blue rinses doing 25 mph, and the idiot sitting on a bike being towed around on a trailer by a Ford Taunus estate summed it all up.The BMW museum in the d you enjoyed itbasement of the main building and Go Kart track were good value.. As Rich said the roads around there are superb, but watch out for Das Politzei .especially on track days. Glad you enjoyed it  :152: