Author ESA suspension servicing  (Read 1424 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Paganman   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Paganman

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: gb
    ESA suspension servicing
    on: March 30, 2022, 12:18:20 pm
    March 30, 2022, 12:18:20 pm
    My 2015 S1000XR was in need of a suspension overhaul, so I spoke to a few companies who all said the shock and forks were unserviceable.
    So confronted with the possibility of having to spend around £2000 for a non ESA shock, fork cartridge kit and ESA blanking plugs I had a look on the UKGSER forum and was directed to Lukas at T-Tech suspension in Croydon, who's highly rated for servicing and upgrading ESA stuff at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    He's stripped and rebuilt my suspension, re-sprung for my weight and damping modified to suit.
    The results are fantastic, the fork was sitting deeply into it's travel and the damping had virtually gone from the shock originally. It's like a different bike now, much more stable and balanced. 
    To say I'm happy with his service is an understatement, he's a top man to deal with and kept me updated throughout the process. highly recommended  :001:

    https://ttechsuspension.com/

  • Online af1-windy   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    378
    • ***
      #1

    Online af1-windy

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 378
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: Leeds
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 12:39:53 pm
    March 30, 2022, 12:39:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    My 2015 S1000XR was in need of a suspension overhaul, so I spoke to a few companies who all said the shock and forks were unserviceable.
    So confronted with the possibility of having to spend around £2000 for a non ESA shock, fork cartridge kit and ESA blanking plugs I had a look on the UKGSER forum and was directed to Lukas at T-Tech suspension in Croydon, who's highly rated for servicing and upgrading ESA stuff at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    He's stripped and rebuilt my suspension, re-sprung for my weight and damping modified to suit.
    The results are fantastic, the fork was sitting deeply into it's travel and the damping had virtually gone from the shock originally. It's like a different bike now, much more stable and balanced. 
    To say I'm happy with his service is an understatement, he's a top man to deal with and kept me updated throughout the process. highly recommended  :001:

    https://ttechsuspension.com/

     :460: Handy to know, thanks.

    What mileage was you shock at when it needed sorting?  :084:

     :821: windy
    "When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

  • Offline Paganman   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Paganman

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 12:55:00 pm
    March 30, 2022, 12:55:00 pm
    It was at 30,000 miles. Probably could have done with being sorted earlier as the damping was fading badly when loaded up touring after a few hours of riding.

  • Online af1-windy   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    378
    • ***
      #3

    Online af1-windy

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 378
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: Leeds
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 01:06:23 pm
    March 30, 2022, 01:06:23 pm
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    It was at 30,000 miles. Probably could have done with being sorted earlier as the damping was fading badly when loaded up touring after a few hours of riding.

     :028: Cheers, I'm good for a while then. I purchased a low mileage 2017 last November with 7k miles on the clock..
    "When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1206
    • *****
      #4

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1206
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 05:04:47 pm
    March 30, 2022, 05:04:47 pm
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    My 2015 S1000XR was in need of a suspension overhaul, so I spoke to a few companies who all said the shock and forks were unserviceable.
    So confronted with the possibility of having to spend around £2000 for a non ESA shock, fork cartridge kit and ESA blanking plugs I had a look on the UKGSER forum and was directed to Lukas at T-Tech suspension in Croydon, who's highly rated for servicing and upgrading ESA stuff at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    He's stripped and rebuilt my suspension, re-sprung for my weight and damping modified to suit.
    The results are fantastic, the fork was sitting deeply into it's travel and the damping had virtually gone from the shock originally. It's like a different bike now, much more stable and balanced. 
    To say I'm happy with his service is an understatement, he's a top man to deal with and kept me updated throughout the process. highly recommended  :001:

    https://ttechsuspension.com/

    Sounds good but you didn't mention how much this cost? I'm currently thinking that whenever my shock lets go i'll just replace it with a Wilbers or Tractive shock that retains ESA

  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1558
    • *****
      #5

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1558
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 07:05:58 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:05:58 pm
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    My 2015 S1000XR was in need of a suspension overhaul, so I spoke to a few companies who all said the shock and forks were unserviceable.
    So confronted with the possibility of having to spend around £2000 for a non ESA shock, fork cartridge kit and ESA blanking plugs I had a look on the UKGSER forum and was directed to Lukas at T-Tech suspension in Croydon, who's highly rated for servicing and upgrading ESA stuff at a fraction of the replacement cost.
    He's stripped and rebuilt my suspension, re-sprung for my weight and damping modified to suit.
    The results are fantastic, the fork was sitting deeply into it's travel and the damping had virtually gone from the shock originally. It's like a different bike now, much more stable and balanced. 
    To say I'm happy with his service is an understatement, he's a top man to deal with and kept me updated throughout the process. highly recommended  :001:

    https://ttechsuspension.com/

    Very interesting, and might be something to consider for this winter.    I might struggle to justify the Tractive solution - so this could be a good option.

  • Online Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3546
    • *****
      #6

    Online Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3546
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 07:21:13 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:21:13 pm
    I managed to side step electric Sus on both my K1200 and X/R but bumped into the same problem with a KTM GT, to say it’s an evolving situation is an understatement as aftermarket folk realise theirs an evolving market to be had, from not only wear and tear, but a step up in quality as well.

    Where things get complicated, will suppliers do a straight replacement, or conventional aftermarket and shut the system up with dongles???
    Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 08:00:44 pm by Winger

  • Offline Paganman   gb

    • XR Junior  ‐    12
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline Paganman

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 12
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 06:44:59 am
    March 31, 2022, 06:44:59 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Sounds good but you didn't mention how much this cost? I'm currently thinking that whenever my shock lets go i'll just replace it with a Wilbers or Tractive shock that retains ESA

    It cost me £562 to have the shock & forks serviced, inc new springs/seals/bushes etc. & damping adjusted to suit my needs. That also included return postage via UPS.
    If you didn’t need springs it’d be less.
    I’d costed up K-Tech shock & cartridge kit for forks at £2200. Nitron shock & Andreani cartridges still came in at around £1600 & you’d need the ESA blanking plugs too.
    So I’m extremely happy with the saving & also the quality of his work too .
    Hope this helps.

  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1558
    • *****
      #8

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1558
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 11:07:16 am
    March 31, 2022, 11:07:16 am
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    It cost me £562 to have the shock & forks serviced, inc new springs/seals/bushes etc. & damping adjusted to suit my needs. That also included return postage via UPS.
    If you didn’t need springs it’d be less.
    I’d costed up K-Tech shock & cartridge kit for forks at £2200. Nitron shock & Andreani cartridges still came in at around £1600 & you’d need the ESA blanking plugs too.
    So I’m extremely happy with the saving & also the quality of his work too .
    Hope this helps.

    VERY interesting.   :028:

    The £562 cost is eminently affordable, but I think the K-Tech treatment is best suited to spending on a bike with low miles/best condition original set-up.

    If you aren't in the 'fortunate' position to have a manual suspension set up, and plan on keeping the bike - it could be a pill worth swallowing.

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1206
    • *****
      #9

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1206
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: ESA suspension servicing
    Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 05:50:26 pm
    March 31, 2022, 05:50:26 pm
    *Originally Posted by Paganman [+]
    It cost me £562 to have the shock & forks serviced, inc new springs/seals/bushes etc. & damping adjusted to suit my needs. That also included return postage via UPS.
    If you didn’t need springs it’d be less.
    I’d costed up K-Tech shock & cartridge kit for forks at £2200. Nitron shock & Andreani cartridges still came in at around £1600 & you’d need the ESA blanking plugs too.
    So I’m extremely happy with the saving & also the quality of his work too .
    Hope this helps.

    Thanks for the update, as I said I was looking at the exchange options, the forks don't tend to go bad anywhere near as much as the shocks seemingly, although can benefit from an upgrade, in my case I want ESA and Wilbers and tractive both offer ESA replacement shock, that's better too, both for 750 quid, so once again, depends on your situation, but it's good to have options

     



    dysfunctional