Author Production delayed  (Read 1426 times)

• Offline jaythedreamer   us

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jaythedreamer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2022 XR MSport
    • Town: Chicago
    Production delayed
    on: March 30, 2022, 05:33:38 pm
    March 30, 2022, 05:33:38 pm
    I heard from few sources that BMW production is paused. There is a thread in the RR forum that some dealers confirmed it and new bikes are not coming soon. Unfortunately I think I am hit (no change in status 150 after 4 weeks).

https://paultan.org/2022/03/04/bmw-forced-to-pause-production-at-european-plants-ukraine-crisis-disrupts-supply-of-wiring-harnesses/
    Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:34:31 pm by jaythedreamer
    Thanks
    Jay

• Offline garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    164

Offline garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Re: Production delayed
    Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 06:53:01 pm
    March 30, 2022, 06:53:01 pm
    jaythedreamer,

Yep, you are absolutely correct. Our BMW Motorrad Dealer here in SC/USA had to return over a dozen deposites for new BMW Motorcycles, was informed not to expect any new bikes indefinitely and if a BMW motorcycle is not already in the USA or on a boat then, it most likely will not be coming. Feel sorry for motorcycle the dealerships that are only BMW. On a good note D2 Powersports in Greer, SC has 2022 Triple Black in the Showroom.

Best,

Doc :012:
    2021 XR Sport

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jaythedreamer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 06:58:47 pm
    March 30, 2022, 06:58:47 pm
    Hi Doc, thanks for confirming. BTW what about the bikes for which production started? Wouldn't BMW make sure enough parts are available to complete them? Mine, as per BMW was scheduled to start on 1st week of March and still says in production. I wouldn't think they will stop during a cycle. Anyway fingers crossed.
    Thanks
    Jay

• Offline garyculb   us

• XR Pro  ‐    164

Offline garyculb

• XR Pro
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 07:06:48 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:06:48 pm
    *Originally Posted by jaythedreamer [+]
    Hi Doc, thanks for confirming. BTW what about the bikes for which production started? Wouldn't BMW make sure enough parts are available to complete them? Mine, as per BMW was scheduled to start on 1st week of March and still says in production. I wouldn't think they will stop during a cycle. Anyway fingers crossed.

jaythedreamer,

That is good question for your BMW Motorrad Dealer. Personally, I know they do not have the parts to complete builds. The parts they are getting out of the Ukraine are sub-par. Bet your BMW dealer will give your deposit back. I would track down a 2022 XR already in the USA!

Best,

Doc :084:
    Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 07:07:26 pm by garyculb
    2021 XR Sport

• Online Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3546

Online Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 07:13:31 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:13:31 pm
    Exactly the same problem with electric mountain production with various manufactures for the same reason.

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jaythedreamer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 07:16:52 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:16:52 pm
    I am going to wait a week and ask the dealer to get me a bike from another dealer or give my deposit back.
    Thanks
    Jay

• Offline wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    622

Offline wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 07:28:45 pm
    March 30, 2022, 07:28:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by jaythedreamer [+]

All depends on what part is in short supply.

It is common practice to assemble products where possible and retrofit parts when they are available. This was easy for BMW to do when the shortage was due to the flood in the ZF suspension factory. Retrofitting a rear shock is easy.

It is a much different proposition with the main wiring harness which is one of the first things attached to a frame and the rest of the bike is built around it. If there is no stock of the main harness then a bike cannot start assembly as you will not retrofit something surrounded by other parts. Of course, the harness shortage might just be a small one linking a sub assembly into the main harness. If this is the case the bikes will be built and tested using a slave part and completed when stock arrives.

• Offline orbits   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    133

Offline orbits

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cotswolds
    Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 06:00:23 am
    March 31, 2022, 06:00:23 am
    For the car side of the industry ’just in time’ is certainly a concept, and plants often only keep a few days worth of components available to supply the build line. If the same is true of the bike industry, then if your harness was in stock and on the bike already, it may be other supply chain stuff delaying the build. If it was the harness the build line was waiting on then you may be stuck.

I spoke to a BMW car dealer a week or two back and the chip shortage was prompting BMW to ship cars without some paid-for options being fitted. Certain stereo and power-seat upgrades were mentioned. BMW simply ship your car with something else and send you a partial refund. Dealers view, not mine.
    Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 06:00:55 am by orbits

• Offline Becksy   gb

• XR Master  ‐    505

Offline Becksy

• XR Master
    • Town: Warwickshire
    Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 07:54:33 am
    March 31, 2022, 07:54:33 am
    This should only be temporary as Leoni will move their production, though I suspect that BMW will prioritise their car manufacturing as production ramps back up elsewhere.

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jaythedreamer

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 04:18:51 pm
    April 07, 2022, 04:18:51 pm
    My bike finally completed production after almost 6 weeks and in status 190 now. So now fell into the shipping delays, but at least I am relieved that the parts / production delay phase is over and she will be here at some point next month, hopefully!
    Thanks
    Jay

dysfunctional