Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine 'rough' at low revs?  (Read 3589 times)

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
Engine 'rough' at low revs?
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:38:33 PM »
Hi. Just bought a 12 month old R1000XR, (6000 on the clock), found that between 1000 and 3000 revs, in slow traffic clutch out, the engine seems be hunting, almost missing, causing jerkiness belong what I would expect. So bad occasionally snatches the chain.
Is this a general characteristic. Anybody else got the problem?
Cheers. 

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Engine 'rough' at low revs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:52:22 PM »
Yeah, I think quite a few do that. Ride faster! :008:

Oh, and it's an S1000XR, not an R1000XR! :038:

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:23:55 PM »
Cheers Rich. It will take a while to re-adjust from my (recently departed) R1200GSA. In more ways than one.
Many a true word etc..... thought about that, riding faster, especially coming from a twin to a 'multi', but 4000 in 1st in traffic
doesn't feel right. Sure its not. Be interesting if any body else has the 'problem'.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:17:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by mahseve33 [+]
Cheers Rich. It will take a while to re-adjust from my (recently departed) R1200GSA. In more ways than one.
Many a true word etc..... thought about that, riding faster, especially coming from a twin to a 'multi', but 4000 in 1st in traffic
doesn't feel right. Sure its not. Be interesting if any body else has the 'problem'.

It's very different to a GSA! I sold mine a few weeks ago, and am waiting to order a 2017 bike. The XR puts a smile on my face like no other bike!

With the rough running at slow speeds, you get used to it, and adjust the revs to smooth it out. It's just a "characteristic" of the bike.

Online philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 10:41:04 PM »
It is fighting to get going and not be restrained to low speeds. What I do when I know I'm going to be filtering or anything else that means I'm not using the throttle in the way it was intended, is to just flick it into rain mode, and have a much softer throttle response. Just makes it easier for me, especially if I'm stuck fighting through traffic on the M25 near Heathrow. Once clear, flick it back into Dynamic mode.

Offline damodici

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport
  • Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:46:05 AM »
To be honest mine doesn't hunt at low revs and nor would I consider it particularly rough.

Maybe the tps needs resetting which I presume a dealer can do under warranty?

there may also be some kind of ecu reset function whereby it'll be something like ride along under 20mph in a particular gear for 2 miles, not saying that's how you do it, but it's been similar on a couple of bikes in the past when the ecu and electronics system need to recognise new sized tyres etc (Aprilia Aprc for example)

Either way it's not going to hurt having a dealer reset everything to factory standard

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:58 AM »
My "tall" XR was dreadful at low rev's and hunted with the rev counter bouncing and deflecting 1,000 rpm on idle which made filtering and slow maneovers challenging to say the least. My new "low" XR will trickle along if required perfectly well behaved, i began to think it was me loosing the plot! Why so different? Most high performance engines you can't have your cake and eat it so one end suffers. Get it checked out.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
After coming from boxers (several 12 GSA's) I was expecting a high performance engine to be 'snatchy' and crap to ride around town & on small roads but I have to say I find the fuelling perfect in all situations.

Get the dealer to have a look at it....

Offline harryp

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1XRTE
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:06:52 PM »
I went to the Alps, 2 up, and several times when filtering was impossible, the bike got very hot in traffic. I saw 106c a few times. The engine and clutch were a little rougher than usual and it was harder to go up and down the box using the quick shifter. Strangest thing was Lamp F appeared when things were really hot and disappeared when cool, and has been ok since. This is possibly related to the LEDs I have fitted to both front lights.It's a great wee bike tho' herself says not as comfortable as a GS.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »
Thanks all, I appreciate that in having a high performance engine often some compromises have to be may made, thus the question re 'is this a characteristic of the bike'. It seems it isn't totally and I think a visit to the dealers is in order. Thanks again all.