Author Topic: Need Side Stand Measurements  (Read 3229 times)

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Re: Need Side Stand Measurements
Reply #60 on: May 13, 2022, 04:31:33 PM
*Originally Posted by profpatpending [+]
At the risk of sounding like a scratched record (showing my age there)all this discussion of side stand angles is a little redundant, when a simple solution exists. I offer in evidence a picture of my modified stand doing sterling service on a muddy spot

That looks like a Cymarc foot. The thing I'm trying to find out is if replacing my lowered side stand with a standard length one would give the desired lean angle. In my mind, this is a better solution than adding something onto the end of the stand...

Offline Antares

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #61 on: May 13, 2022, 04:36:10 PM
*Originally Posted by rs87 [+]
That looks like a Cymarc foot. The thing I'm trying to find out is if replacing my lowered side stand with a standard length one would give the desired lean angle. In my mind, this is a better solution than adding something onto the end of the stand...

No, that's his custom made one from this post:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,6261.msg54077.html#msg54077

I do favour OEM looking solutions though so I'm on the same page, obviously not an option for me on my full height XR

Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 04:36:47 PM by Antares

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
  • Town: Hendersonville
Reply #62 on: May 15, 2022, 12:17:49 AM
In lieu of the summary I promised, I'm relating the next chapter in correcting my bent side stand and getting a reasonable lean angle. When my dealer said my side stand was bent, I told them to order the parts to correct it. This was before this thread and was focused on simply replacing the low side stand. Well, I picked up my new low side stand yesterday along with a new mounting bolt. My intent was to mount the low side stand, add a 1.5" block of wood and then decide whether or not I should order a standard side stand. Unfortunately, when I disassembled the side stand, I found that both of the collar bushings were cracked and spilt (see pic); these bushings minimize lateral movement of the bolt when the side stand is under load. I've ordered two new bushings and will have them this Tuesday. While I was at it, I decided to order a standard side stand at the same time. This way, come Tuesday, I'll try both side stands; decide which lean angle I like; measure both for reporting here; and return the side stand that I don't need (I have an understanding dealer on things like this). Knock on wood the timing works because I have a local club ride Wednesday and I'm supposed to leave Friday for a quick trip to lower Michigan to see family.

Observations: The side of old side stand that bent was only 7mm thick. The same side on the new side stand is 10mm thick (see pics). Any after market side stand would have to have a correctly positioned hole for the the side stand sensor post (visible below in the "Old side stand straight on" pic). The mounting bolt is actually just a post; it does not have a bolt head/flange; such a flange would reduce the likelihood of a bend failure.

Pictures:

Side stand bushings cracked and split; the upper one has the v-shaped split and the lower one, seen through the hole, is cracked all the way through...

New side stand vs Old Side Stand...

Old side stand straight on (also note the small hole in the new side stand; that's for the side stand sensor post)...

New side stand straight on...

Mounting Bolt that actually just a Post...

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #63 on: May 20, 2022, 12:56:29 AM
Well, I got the new bushings and it turned out that the v-shaped crack and the split in my current bushings (visible in the last post's picture) were also present on the new bushings. Evidently, they are deliberate, so I'll use my current bushings and return the new ones for a refund.

I now had on-hand a new standard length side stand and a new low length side stand for my 2021 low S1000XR. I installed each one and used my WunderLINQ to get the XR's computer reported lean angle. To baseline, I first confirmed I was getting zero degrees with the XR on it's center stand. To make sure I didn't mar up the new side stands so I could return the one I didn't want, I put a 1/8" thick piece of plywood under the foot of the side stands during the comparison. With the standard length side stand on the 1/8" plywood, my XR reported an 18 degree lean angle. With the low length side stand on the 1/8" plywood, my XR reported a 22 degree lean angle. I decided to keep the standard length side stand and return the low length side stand. With the standard length side stand and no plywood to protect the bottom of the foot for return purposes, my XR reported a 19 degree lean angle. Pictures:

Standard vs Low Side Stand, full size...

Standard vs Low Side Stand, close-up...

Standard Side stand on Low XR yielding 19 degree lean angle...

I examined using my Cymarc Side Stand Extension Plate and decided to pass on reinstalling it for now. This would add 10mm of length to the side stand but the plate would hit the center stand and cause the side stand to stick out some when stored for riding. Since I have already ground a bit off my Cymarc plate while mounted on the low stand, I don't think I want it sticking further out than it was with my low side stand. If I change my mind and do reinstall it, I'll post the resulting lean angle here.

Thanks everyone for your help and input on this thread. S/ JerryG
Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 12:57:10 AM by JerryG

Offline JerryG

• XR Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #64 on: May 20, 2022, 01:02:44 AM
I realized the last picture lacked any horizontal and vertical references. This picture provides such references; this is a 2021 low XR with a standard length side stand yielding a 19 degree lean angle...

Offline rs87

• XR Member
  • Bike: '19 Triple Black
Reply #65 on: May 20, 2022, 08:31:37 PM
*Originally Posted by JerryG [+]
this is a 2021 low XR with a standard length side stand yielding a 19 degree lean angle...

Thanks so much for posting the detailed update. It looks like I'll be switching to a standard length side stand