Author Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR  (Read 633 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline BravoMike   us

    • XR Member  ‐    15
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline BravoMike

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 15
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Indianapolis
    • Country: us
    Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    on: May 07, 2022, 05:36:06 pm
    May 07, 2022, 05:36:06 pm
    Hello all, I’m in need of a little help.

    I need to remove the front wheel of my Gen2 S1000XR. The owners manual states remove the quick release axel, but nothing looks quick release to me, it just looks threaded. Is this just the nomenclature they are using in the Owners Manual or am I missing something here?

    Also, does anyone happen to know what size hex bit I will need to fit to remove the front axle? It measures about 24mm, but it’s hard to measure and wanted confirmation.

    Thanks!

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    196
    • ***
      #1

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 196
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 06:20:55 pm
    May 07, 2022, 06:20:55 pm
    Release the 2 pinch bolts at the right side clamp and unscrew the axle (counter clockwise) using the 24mm hex socket. When it’s free just pull it out. Dont touch the left side clamp pinch bolts - that one holds the threaded bushing for the axle and should not be removed.
    Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 06:24:27 pm by esso_sa

  • Offline BravoMike   us

    • XR Member  ‐    15
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline BravoMike

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 15
    • Bike: 2021 S1000XR
    • Town: Indianapolis
    • Country: us
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 06:31:52 pm
    May 07, 2022, 06:31:52 pm
    Excellent thank you!

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1085
    • *****
      #3

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1085
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 08:07:46 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:07:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
    Release the 2 pinch bolts at the right side clamp and unscrew the axle (counter clockwise) using the 24mm hex socket. When it’s free just pull it out. Dont touch the left side clamp pinch bolts - that one holds the threaded bushing for the axle and should not be removed.

    Curious... Is that different from the Gen 1? I always thought you just remove that nut and pull the axle straight out. Torque setting refers to 50Nm on the nut specifically too not the axle.

  • Offline Salem   nl

    • XR Pro  ‐    350
    • ***
      #4

    Offline Salem

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 350
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: nl
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 08:16:15 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:16:15 pm
    as stated, don't undo the bolts on the (gen2) ABS ring side. It's not the end of the world if you do, I did. Get front wheel free, set 1mm clearance sensor to ABS ring, and ensure discs sit nicely centered in calipers, and clamp that side up first. If the ABS spacing is beyond 2mm it's too much, a worthwhile check.
    Edit: you need to first move the brake pistons inwards for that check...
    Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:22:20 pm by Salem

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    196
    • ***
      #5

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 196
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 08:31:07 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:31:07 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Curious... Is that different from the Gen 1? I always thought you just remove that nut and pull the axle straight out. Torque setting refers to 50Nm on the nut specifically too not the axle.

    It is. On Gen 1 you undo the bolt on the left side clamp and pull the axle out. When you reinstall the wheel, you tighten that bolt to 50 nm.
    On Gen 2, that bolt is replaced by a threaded bushing so now the axle is tightened to 50 nm INTO  that bushing.
    Left side of the Gen 1 axle is threaded on the inside, while on Gen 2 it is the opposite.

    So it takes one step less on Gen 2 in order to remove the front wheel, because you don’t touch the left side at all.
    Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 08:42:51 pm by esso_sa

  • Offline Gothrick   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    50
    • **
      #6

    Offline Gothrick

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 50
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    • Country: gb
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 08:42:50 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:42:50 pm
    When I tightened the ABS sensor to the manufacturer recommended 8Nm it was touching the sensor ring. As advised above check the gap a feeler gauge.

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1085
    • *****
      #7

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1085
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #7 on: May 07, 2022, 08:44:22 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:44:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
    It is. On Gen 1 you undo the bolt on the left side clamp and pull the axle out. When you reinstall the wheel, you tighten that bolt to 50 nm.
    On Gen 2, that bolt is replaced by a threaded bushing so now the axle is tightened to 50 nm INTO  that bushing.
    Left side of the Gen 1 axle is threaded on the inside, while on Gen 2 it is the opposite.

    So it takes one step less on Gen 2 in order to remove the front wheel, because you don’t touch the left side at all.

    Does that bushing not a have a shoulder then to locate it? Why even make it pinched in then? Why not just a regular threaded bottom end like any jap bike? Sounds like dumb design lol

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    196
    • ***
      #8

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 196
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Removing front wheel Gen2 S1000XR
    Reply #8 on: May 07, 2022, 08:54:25 pm
    May 07, 2022, 08:54:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by Gothrick [+]
    When I tightened the ABS sensor to the manufacturer recommended 8Nm it was touching the sensor ring. As advised above check the gap a feeler gauge.

    That is strange and should not happen. You cant get the sensor too close to the ring just by tightening it.
    Sensor/ring clearance can be messed and require adjustment only if you remove the bushing from the left side clamp. Provided that we are talking about the Gen 2

     



    dysfunctional