03 Dec 22, 23:07 pm


Author 200/55  (Read 2299 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Cheifbeerdrinker   us

    • XR Member  ‐    59
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Cheifbeerdrinker

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 59
    • Personal text
    • Bike: Shake and Bake
    • Town: Back2backWWChamp
    • Country: us
    200/55
    on: June 18, 2022, 12:03:43 am
    June 18, 2022, 12:03:43 am
    Time for another set of tires for the old girl. Has anyone run a 200/55 with any luck?

    I do a lot of track days on my XR and I’m looking for a bit more traction and a little more weight on the front tire without moving the forks.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2326
    • *****
      #1

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2326
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 12:52:11 am
    June 18, 2022, 12:52:11 am
    *Originally Posted by Cheifbeerdrinker [+]
    Time for another set of tires for the old girl. Has anyone run a 200/55 with any luck?

    I do a lot of track days on my XR and I’m looking for a bit more traction and a little more weight on the front tire without moving the forks.

    Don't know how a 200/55 would give you more traction..??
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Cheifbeerdrinker   us

    • XR Member  ‐    59
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Cheifbeerdrinker

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 59
    • Personal text
    • Bike: Shake and Bake
    • Town: Back2backWWChamp
    • Country: us
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 01:02:09 am
    June 18, 2022, 01:02:09 am
    It’s a wider tire. More rubber on the ground………

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1299
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1299
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #3 on: June 18, 2022, 01:40:18 am
    June 18, 2022, 01:40:18 am
    *Originally Posted by Cheifbeerdrinker [+]
    It’s a wider tire. More rubber on the ground………

    More complex than that, but i believe someone mentioned they tried it and it didn't make a significant difference. Apart from that actual width between manufacturers may differ, 190 is just what's stamped on the side, profile and actual width differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2326
    • *****
      #4

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2326
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 02:57:52 am
    June 18, 2022, 02:57:52 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    More complex than that, but i believe someone mentioned they tried it and it didn't make a significant difference. Apart from that actual width between manufacturers may differ, 190 is just what's stamped on the side, profile and actual width differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

    Exactly....l have a 200/55 Michelin RS at home and it is indeed 200mm wide....however, l also currently have a 190/55 Dunlop Roadsmart IV on my XR and it's 203mm wide.. go figure..🤔

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online Deano747   au

    • XR Member  ‐    28
    • **
      #5

    Online Deano747

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 28
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Melbourne
    • Country: au
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 04:14:34 am
    June 18, 2022, 04:14:34 am
    more rubber on the road also equals more drag - more frictional losses - more heat buildup - more unsprung weight -

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
      #6

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 01:43:56 pm
    June 22, 2022, 01:43:56 pm
    My slicks are 200s, definitely more grip on corner exit. Been using them for few track days. Not sure if I'd go back to 190s. Tire pressure should be little higher though. Use around 2.1/1.9 hot.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline Cheifbeerdrinker   us

    • XR Member  ‐    59
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline Cheifbeerdrinker

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 59
    • Personal text
    • Bike: Shake and Bake
    • Town: Back2backWWChamp
    • Country: us
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 01:49:47 pm
    June 22, 2022, 01:49:47 pm
    *Originally Posted by AdzventureXR [+]
    My slicks are 200s, definitely more grip on corner exit. Been using them for few track days. Not sure if I'd go back to 190s. Tire pressure should be little higher though. Use around 2.1/1.9 hot.

    Thank you. Finally. Are you running the 200/60?

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
      #8

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: 200/55
    Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 01:57:38 pm
    June 22, 2022, 01:57:38 pm
    Yes, 200 60. Ran with metzeler k1 and k2. K1 didn't last long on rear.

    I changed my fork height up 12mm. Found the turn in was better.

    Tire warmer just make it under the rear guard so no issues there.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider