Author Topic: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements  (Read 656 times)

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online bropane

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
  • Country: us
Hello everyone, after I replaced my right fork seal I noticed my forks were not the same length. I think the right one is the problem but I want to check and confirm. I was wondering if anyone has the correct length of the forks for a Gen 1 S1000XR. I couldn't find the measurement in the manual. Thanks!
Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 06:06:39 PM by bropane

#1

Offline smithy

  • XR God
  • *****
  • Posts: 2142
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
  • Country: au
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 11:33:40 PM
*Originally Posted by bropane [+]
Hello everyone, after I replaced my right fork seal I noticed my forks were not the same length. I think the right one is the problem but I want to check and confirm. I was wondering if anyone has the correct length of the forks for a Gen 1 S1000XR. I couldn't find the measurement in the manual. Thanks!

Do you have the stock length forks or the factory lowered ones..??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

#2

Online bropane

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:28 PM
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
Do you have the stock length forks or the factory lowered ones..??

Smithy.

I have stock length forks.

#3

Online SimonUK

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 922
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 03:13:19 AM
I can tell you this from experience. the fork tubes (inner and outer) are the same for both standard and lowered suspension, the cartridges inside make the difference. If you measure the exposed inner silver tube(obviously with no weight on the front end) you should have the following(with fully extended forks:
Standard - 150mm
lowered - 124mm

2xlowered and 1xstandard(check the difference in inner tube lengths)

#4

Online bropane

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 04:08:00 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I can tell you this from experience. the fork tubes (inner and outer) are the same for both standard and lowered suspension, the cartridges inside make the difference. If you measure the exposed inner silver tube(obviously with no weight on the front end) you should have the following(with fully extended forks:
Standard - 150mm
lowered - 124mm

2xlowered and 1xstandard(check the difference in inner tube lengths)


Thank you so much Simon. This is exactly what I was needed. I'll check mine later today.

#5

Offline Antares

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 991
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 05:49:56 PM
*Originally Posted by bropane [+]
Hello everyone, after I replaced my right fork seal I noticed my forks were not the same length. I think the right one is the problem but I want to check and confirm. I was wondering if anyone has the correct length of the forks for a Gen 1 S1000XR. I couldn't find the measurement in the manual. Thanks!

PRetty sure that's normal since the forks are not the same internally. how big is the difference and where are you measuring from?

#6

Online SimonUK

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 922
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 06:44:51 PM
left and right fork should be the same length for the same ride height.

standard suspenders should show 150mm silver inner tube when fully extended(left and right)
lowered(factory) suspenders should show 124mm silver inner tube when fully extended(left and right)

#7

Offline Antares

  • XR Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 991
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
  • Country: gb
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 07:05:01 PM
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
left and right fork should be the same length for the same ride height.

standard suspenders should show 150mm silver inner tube when fully extended(left and right)
lowered(factory) suspenders should show 124mm silver inner tube when fully extended(left and right)

Check if they are fully extended, maybe something is not seated right after the reassembly

#8

Online bropane

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 08:04:12 PM
I checked lengths of my inner fork tubes and the right one is 145 mm and the left is 150 mm. I'm going to open the right one up this weekend and check my work over. I'll report back with what I find. Thanks guys!

#9

Online bropane

  • XR Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 10
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Los Angeles
  • Country: us
Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 09:01:42 AM
So after I disassembled and reassembled the right fork many many times, I can't find what the problem is. I've made sure that the damper assembly is properly fitted into the groove. I installed the fork cap by threading it all the way onto the damper rod until lightly snug and then tightening the lock nut. I've checked my spacer/washer setup using Mark's book and the dealer material and can't find any discrepancies. The best way I can describe it is the inner fork tube is being pulled too high into the outer fork tube by the damper assembly. After the fork is screwed together, I can pull it apart to at least 150 mm of exposed tube. There's resistance like I'm pulling against a spring at the top of the damper rod. Once I let go, the inner fork tube gets sucked back in and I'm back to approx 145 mm of exposed metal on the inner tube  :157:. Does anyone have any ideas?

 



dysfunctional