Author Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements  (Read 1244 times)

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Uneven Fork Length, Need Correct Measurements
    Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 09:15:54 am
    June 25, 2022, 09:15:54 am
    *Originally Posted by bropane [+]
    So after I disassembled and reassembled the right fork many many times, I can't find what the problem is. I've made sure that the damper assembly is properly fitted into the groove. I installed the fork cap by threading it all the way onto the damper rod until lightly snug and then tightening the lock nut. I've checked my spacer/washer setup using Mark's book and the dealer material and can't find any discrepancies. The best way I can describe it is the inner fork tube is being pulled too high into the outer fork tube by the damper assembly. After the fork is screwed together, I can pull it apart to at least 150 mm of exposed tube. There's resistance like I'm pulling against a spring at the top of the damper rod. Once I let go, the inner fork tube gets sucked back in and I'm back to approx 145 mm of exposed metal on the inner tube  :157:. Does anyone have any ideas?

Are you sure the damper is properly seated in the fork tube? It has a shaped recess thats probably about that 5mm, the springy resistance you feel is the rubber bumpstop inside the damper.

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles
    Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 11:32:30 pm
    June 27, 2022, 11:32:30 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Are you sure the damper is properly seated in the fork tube? It has a shaped recess thats probably about that 5mm, the springy resistance you feel is the rubber bumpstop inside the damper.

Thanks for the help guys and yes. I messed around with it again last night and I confirmed that it's getting properly seated. What I've been doing is putting the screw in the bottom then maneuvering the damper rod and the screw until I feel it slot in. When I'm doing this I can feel it "drop" in to the recess. I also measured the top of the damper and I have approximately 7 mm of the rod sticking out. The BMW DVD says 6.6 mm. I'm pretty confident that everything from damper rod down is installed correctly because of the measurement.

Now a question I have is can having air somewhere it's not supposed to be or an out of spec oil level cause the inner fork stanchion to not extend all the way? Is it possible that the damper assembly has an issue where it's not able to extend all the way? Just asking because I'm really at a loss here.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 01:29:18 am
    June 28, 2022, 01:29:18 am
    Thanks for the help guys and yes. I messed around with it again last night and I confirmed that it's getting properly seated. What I've been doing is putting the screw in the bottom then maneuvering the damper rod and the screw until I feel it slot in. When I'm doing this I can feel it "drop" in to the recess. I also measured the top of the damper and I have approximately 7 mm of the rod sticking out. The BMW DVD says 6.6 mm. I'm pretty confident that everything from damper rod down is installed correctly because of the measurement.

Now a question I have is can having air somewhere it's not supposed to be or an out of spec oil level cause the inner fork stanchion to not extend all the way? Is it possible that the damper assembly has an issue where it's not able to extend all the way? Just asking because I'm really at a loss here.

I assume you cycled the fork as you were adding oil? Made sure no spacers are missing? The damper assembly itself is not really serviceable and nothing but oil should be able to get in and out. Assuming you followed the manual and added the correct amount of oil etc, i can't think of much...

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 06:25:36 pm
    June 28, 2022, 06:25:36 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    I assume you cycled the fork as you were adding oil? Made sure no spacers are missing? The damper assembly itself is not really serviceable and nothing but oil should be able to get in and out. Assuming you followed the manual and added the correct amount of oil etc, i can't think of much...

Yes I was pumping the damper rod while I was filling it. I'm pretty sure I have all the spacers because they match what's listed in Mark's service book. The BMW DVD shows a plethora of different spacers on their diagrams. It's a bit confusing but I think they're like that because of the different configurations such as with/without ESA and low suspension. Mark's book shows what appears to be the same setup that I have. Only thing I can think of at this point is that I have an air pocket somewhere it's not supposed to be or the spacers are not the right ones.

I first noticed a symptom of the problem a couple months ago when I took off my front wheel. The axle was extremely tight but I didn't think much of it. The bike did pull to the right which make sense now because the right fork leg was shorter. I've had the 18,000 mile service which includes fork oil done at my old BMW dealer which should be the only other time the forks have been opened besides myself. It could be possible that the parts that are in the fork are not what's supposed to be inside it. Maybe they broke something and swapped the part with a spacer from a different trim? There are 3 different part numbers for the set compression spring on Real OEM https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0D13-USA-07-2016-K49-BMW-S_1000_XR_0D03,_0D13_&diagId=31_1215. They did mess up installing the valve cover gasket on that service on that job so I'm not ruling it out (not fun seeing an oil leak straight from the dealer).

I'm going to throw in the towel on this one and take the fork to my current dealer. They're good people and I just want to get my bike up and running. I don't want to keep chasing my tail on something that should be simple. I feel like there's something stupid that I'm overlooking or I do not have the correct parts in the fork. Thanks for the help Antares. I'll post an update after I get my fork back.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 06:29:49 pm
    June 28, 2022, 06:29:49 pm
    Yes I was pumping the damper rod while I was filling it. I'm pretty sure I have all the spacers because they match what's listed in Mark's service book. The BMW DVD shows a plethora of different spacers on their diagrams. It's a bit confusing but I think they're like that because of the different configurations such as with/without ESA and low suspension. Mark's book shows what appears to be the same setup that I have. Only thing I can think of at this point is that I have an air pocket somewhere it's not supposed to be or the spacers are not the right ones.

I first noticed a symptom of the problem a couple months ago when I took off my front wheel. The axle was extremely tight but I didn't think much of it. The bike did pull to the right which make sense now because the right fork leg was shorter. I've had the 18,000 mile service which includes fork oil done at my old BMW dealer which should be the only other time the forks have been opened besides myself. It could be possible that the parts that are in the fork are not what's supposed to be inside it. Maybe they broke something and swapped the part with a spacer from a different trim? There are 3 different part numbers for the set compression spring on Real OEM https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0D13-USA-07-2016-K49-BMW-S_1000_XR_0D03,_0D13_&diagId=31_1215. They did mess up installing the valve cover gasket on that service on that job so I'm not ruling it out (not fun seeing an oil leak straight from the dealer).

I'm going to throw in the towel on this one and take the fork to my current dealer. They're good people and I just want to get my bike up and running. I don't want to keep chasing my tail on something that should be simple. I feel like there's something stupid that I'm overlooking or I do not have the correct parts in the fork. Thanks for the help Antares. I'll post an update after I get my fork back.

Yea if they replaced a wrong part or damaged the damper this could cause the issues.

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 02:14:14 am
    June 30, 2022, 02:14:14 am
    So I dropped both forks off at the dealer yesterday and asked them to reassemble the right one that I was having issues with. I gave them both so that when they reassemble it should line up with the left one length wise. I just heard back from the service manager and he said that the right fork lug (the part at the end of the inner shiny tube that holds the axle) is messed up. The bottom groove is boogered so the damper rod is only seating partially in the inner tube. We made a plan to remove the fork lug and try and file out the excess which is causing the damper to get stuck prematurely. If that doesn't work but the lug gets removed properly, then I'm going to buy a bent fork on eBay and swap the lugs. If the lug cannot be removed then we're ordering new one from BMW for $800 dollars.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 02:27:01 am
    June 30, 2022, 02:27:01 am
    So I dropped both forks off at the dealer yesterday and asked them to reassemble the right one that I was having issues with. I gave them both so that when they reassemble it should line up with the left one length wise. I just heard back from the service manager and he said that the right fork lug (the part at the end of the inner shiny tube that holds the axle) is messed up. The bottom groove is boogered so the damper rod is only seating partially in the inner tube. We made a plan to remove the fork lug and try and file out the excess which is causing the damper to get stuck prematurely. If that doesn't work but the lug gets removed properly, then I'm going to buy a bent fork on eBay and swap the lugs. If the lug cannot be removed then we're ordering new one from BMW for $800 dollars.

Ouch... if it doesn't work, don't even bother eith BMW just get a straight cartridge kit from tractive or one of the other manufacturers and a used non functional fork.

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 03:02:10 am
    June 30, 2022, 03:02:10 am
    Yeah I think that's the route I'm going to go besides paying $800 for a single fork stanchion  :112:. You can buy set of completed forks for an R6 for $300. Thanks for the tip! I'll post an update when I hear back the results.

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #18 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:34 am
    July 02, 2022, 03:35:34 am
    So my dealer tried to remove the right side fork lug and they said it did one rotation and got stuck. If anyone does this job, there is a set screw underneath the Sachs sticker. I picked the fork up today and they didn’t charge me for anything. They recommended I take it to Racetech as they specialize in suspension work. I dropped the fork off there today and they said there is a 50/50 chance they can get the fork lug off because it might be seized. The ideal outcome right now is they get the fork lug off and clean up the groove so the damper fits. I’ll know the outcome next week and post an update.