Author Front ESA Suspension Damping Adjustment Short Circuit - 0x480B8F  (Read 1397 times)

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 18 & 21 S1000XR
    Front ESA Suspension Damping Adjustment Short Circuit - 0x480B8F
    on: June 26, 2022, 01:39:37 am
    June 26, 2022, 01:39:37 am
    Curious if anybody has seen this one before or has any pointers.  Dash display and GS911 codes are below.  Thanks in advance for any advice!

You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1299

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Re: Front ESA Suspension Damping Adjustment Short Circuit - 0x480B8F
    Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 01:47:02 am
    June 26, 2022, 01:47:02 am
    Haven't had it but the description seems pretty straight forward, probably damaged/pinched/rubbed the ESA wiring and it's having a short either in or just outside the fork leg, check the wiring for any obvious damage.

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 03:40:54 am
    June 26, 2022, 03:40:54 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Haven't had it but the description seems pretty straight forward, probably damaged/pinched/rubbed the ESA wiring and it's having a short either in or just outside the fork leg, check the wiring for any obvious damage.
    Thanks.  That's the path I am starting down.  So far I have only examined it from the top of the left fork cap to the connector on the clutch side forward of the tank.  Will start pulling panels and follow that connector back and see where it takes me before thinking about getting inside that fork leg.

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:33:27 pm
    June 26, 2022, 06:33:27 pm
    Ok, fairings removed and nothing obvious as far as the connector or any wire damage goes so I figured the easiest thing to do first would be to rule out the fork itself.  I have continuity when I test the two pins in the fork connector and am getting 2.3 ohms.  I am rubbish with electronics, but hoping someone call tell me if that rules out the fork.  Thanks!
    Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:34:56 pm by capt cf

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2326

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 08:26:03 pm
    June 26, 2022, 08:26:03 pm
    *Originally Posted by capt cf [+]
    Ok, fairings removed and nothing obvious as far as the connector or any wire damage goes so I figured the easiest thing to do first would be to rule out the fork itself.  I have continuity when I test the two pins in the fork connector and am getting 2.3 ohms.  I am rubbish with electronics, but hoping someone call tell me if that rules out the fork.  Thanks!

Do you get the same result/fault code with the fork wiring disconnected..?? If so it may not be the fork internals causing the grief.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 08:48:46 pm
    June 26, 2022, 08:48:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    Do you get the same result/fault code with the fork wiring disconnected..?? If so it may not be the fork internals causing the grief.

Smithy.
    Yup.  With the fork connector disconnected I get the same fault.  I also get a weird high resistance value hitting the blue (with thin yellow stripe) wire on the bike side of the fork connector (at least compared to the other connectors I tested).  I am going to try to hit it with a Power Probe/ECT3000 and see if I can narrow it down before I go too nuts removing tape, etc.
    Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 08:50:04 pm by capt cf

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 11:13:45 pm
    June 26, 2022, 11:13:45 pm
    Ugh...it gets worse...er, wait.. better?  While waiting for the power probe I have been crawling around under the bike with a head torch trying to feel/look for any worn bits or anything that appears out of place.  So far nothing, but I moved a bunch of stuff around in my fiddling, unhooked and rehooked connectors and so forth so I decided to rescan with my GS911.  This time I got an open circuit instead of a short circuit.  Kind of did a double take so cleared the codes, switched the bike off, hooked the fork back up and powered it back on and scanned again.  No faults.

So now my dilemma is that I wonder if I have a crummy wire/connection somewhere that I nudged back into position in all my ham-fisted troubleshooting that is going to throw a fault again the minute I button her back up and go riding again.  What would you guys do?  I should be able to put my hands on a power probe in a couple days so I can leave it apart until then and see if I can glean any new info from that.  Option B would be to just throw everything back on sans non-essential plastics and hope for the best.

Either way, if nothing else I think this rules out the fork which I guess is good news given the cost of a fork.
    Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:14:26 pm by capt cf

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1299

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 11:53:50 pm
    June 26, 2022, 11:53:50 pm
    Ugh...it gets worse...er, wait.. better?  While waiting for the power probe I have been crawling around under the bike with a head torch trying to feel/look for any worn bits or anything that appears out of place.  So far nothing, but I moved a bunch of stuff around in my fiddling, unhooked and rehooked connectors and so forth so I decided to rescan with my GS911.  This time I got an open circuit instead of a short circuit.  Kind of did a double take so cleared the codes, switched the bike off, hooked the fork back up and powered it back on and scanned again.  No faults.

So now my dilemma is that I wonder if I have a crummy wire/connection somewhere that I nudged back into position in all my ham-fisted troubleshooting that is going to throw a fault again the minute I button her back up and go riding again.  What would you guys do?  I should be able to put my hands on a power probe in a couple days so I can leave it apart until then and see if I can glean any new info from that.  Option B would be to just throw everything back on sans non-essential plastics and hope for the best.

Either way, if nothing else I think this rules out the fork which I guess is good news given the cost of a fork.

If you're not in a hurry, leave it hooked up but disassembled, try to see if you can change the damping modes and maybe compress the fork by hand to see if the error reappears.

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    130
    • Topic Author

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 12:21:38 am
    June 27, 2022, 12:21:38 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    If you're not in a hurry, leave it hooked up but disassembled, try to see if you can change the damping modes and maybe compress the fork by hand to see if the error reappears.
    I gave that a shot.  Switched between road and dynamic, bounced around on the forks, switched to one plus luggage, bounced around, pillion, bounced around, back to solo, etc.  I can feel the changes in the forks between the modes and the error has not come back yet.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1299

Offline Antares

• XR God
    Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 12:54:11 am
    June 27, 2022, 12:54:11 am
    I gave that a shot.  Switched between road and dynamic, bounced around on the forks, switched to one plus luggage, bounced around, pillion, bounced around, back to solo, etc.  I can feel the changes in the forks between the modes and the error has not come back yet.

Might just be it then, I'd spray some contact cleaner in all the relevant plugs, then button it back up, when my cruise control switch was having hiccups, that's all i did and it's been rock solid since.

dysfunctional