Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Screen for better wind protection?  (Read 5489 times)

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
Screen for better wind protection?
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:05:31 AM »
Morning all. I'm sure there has been threads on this before but being a tech moron I searched without success, so humour me please.
I'm 6' 2" with a long back (but beautifully marked), looking for a screen to give more wind protection to head and shoulders.
I'm managing cancer of the spine and need to reduce pressure on head an neck.
Any suggestions please, as their is a plethora of screens available out there, all more or less claiming the same benefits :027:

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Waltham Abbey
Re: Screen for better wind protection?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 04:44:13 PM »
Not a silly question at all, it is a mine field trying to find a screen that suits. There is a company called Skidmarx who will make a screen for you to your specifications, if you know what you want. 01305 780808 should be an answer to your problem. Good on you mate for fighting through. Best regards, Tony.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 07:27:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by Fast Tony [+]
Not a silly question at all, it is a mine field trying to find a screen that suits. There is a company called Skidmarx who will make a screen for you to your specifications, if you know what you want. 01305 780808 should be an answer to your problem. Good on you mate for fighting through. Best regards, Tony.
Thanks for that and kind words. Sounds very pricey. Problem is won't know if it works till you try it. I was wondering if anyone may comment on stock models of screens

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:01:32 AM »
Been looking into this a bit more and Puig seem to have some sensible choices available,one even has an extra filp flap at the top. It's a matter of one man's meat is another man's poison. :084:

Offline spannerman35

• XR Junior
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
  • Town: cheshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 12:00:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by mahseve33 [+]
Morning all. I'm sure there has been threads on this before but being a tech moron I searched without success, so humour me please.
I'm 6' 2" with a long back (but beautifully marked), looking for a screen to give more wind protection to head and shoulders.
I'm managing cancer of the spine and need to reduce pressure on head an neck.
Any suggestions please, as their is a plethora of screens available out there, all more or less claiming the same benefits :027:

I have a brand new Wunderlich touring screen still in its box if your interested. Never used it as I'm only small so find the smaller screen better for me.

Offline Fast Tony

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 04:43:46 PM »
What a gift horse! Snatch his hand off! What a nice jesture  :152:

Offline ME_OX_66

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Ratingen
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 07:41:02 PM »
I have now fitted and tested 4 stock screens, including the standard screen that comes with the bike. Like you I'm 6ft 4" (193cm)

The standard BMW just was not tall enough, even when put in the higher setting. When in the higher setting I got a lot of wind from around the gap in the lower half.

I bought all my screens from Hornig.com a German company who make nothing but spare parts for BMW motorbikes. They ship worldwide and website is in English.

So I first tried a "ZTechnik Windscreen", Article-No. : Z2372 (link below) this cost £212 It was too big and it didn't have the rigidity, it flexed badly at anything over 65mph. It was returned.
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR/Windscreens/ZTechnik-Windscreen.html

Second one I tried was the "Touring screen" Article-No. : 4025066154302 (link below) this cost £88. It virtually the same size as the standard BMW screen, so no better. It was returned.
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR/Windscreens/Touring-screen.html

Third one it tried was the "Puig Touring windshield" Article-No. : 7619W (link below) this cost £75. This is the best by far I have taken this up to 130mph and there is virtually no flex.
https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-S-1000-XR/Windscreens/Touring-windshield.html

In addition I have also fitted an "X-Creen Sport" which is an adjustable small screen which helps reduce the wind completely, as the "Touring windsheild" has a lower center top edge than the sides. Shop around on the net for this as I have seen up to £25 cheaper than I paid for it.
https://www.mrashop.de/com/universal-screens/x-creen-part-xcsa-xcta-/

Hope that is of some help, any questions please ask.....

Regards
Mark

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:20:43 PM by ME_OX_66 »
I might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm riding my bike.

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:39:41 PM »
Fitted the MRA Vario touring screen 500 miles ago and I'm pleased with the improvement.  Like the OP I'm 6' 2" and the air flow goes over, and round, my helmet now.  Screen came from http://www.bikehps.com/ with no hassles.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 04:39:37 PM by scotti »
Regards
Scotti

Offline Bangkok Rider

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR+S1000RR
  • Town: Bangkok
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:28 PM »
Just put on the MRA vario (with the extra flap).  I did a 600 km ride with it last Sunday.

I'm 178 cm (about 5 11?)  and there is no longer air being shot right into my forehead as was stock.  Now it goes over my helmet.  Less wind on the shoulders as well - it all goes around you.  Easily better and quieter than stock.  I took a phone call at 200 km/h and they had no clue I was on the bike (Sena 20s with ear buds).  I shut my helmet visor to take the call.

I could keep my helmet open up to about 180 comfortably with only my integrated sun visor down.  I should think anything at legal UK speeds it would be fantastic.  Only negative is I get too hot in the heat here so have to stand up occasionally to get a bit of air flow and cool down.

Looks very nice, excellent quality.  Easy to fit (although it has a bracket that mounts to the stock bracket.)  The instructions were terrible but they have a great video instruction that I loaded on the phone and watched as I went along.  No issues.  The problem I faced was the rubber grommets can go either way and there's no picture showing the right way, but the video is perfect.

Extremely happy with the purchase.
2004 R1 (sold)
2015 S1000RR - track bike
2016 S1000XR - street bike

Offline Alpinescars

• Ex Member
  • XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
All my questions are silly so you're in good company :-)

I've only just got a S1000XR after trading in my S1000R to get something more comfortable.

Just swapped the standard screen for the Puig Touring screen. A mate of mine has one on his KTM 1190 Adventure. I think it's just over 10cm taller than the standard and it's wider. We jokingly say to my KTM chum that he's fitted a patio door to his bike. We've even put a small Everest (double-glazing) sticker on it and he hasn't seen it yet. As I've now got the same screen I can't take the p any more.

Vast improvement over the standard - I'm 6'1'' and come in the longer body/shorter legs variety (makes me sound like some sort of mutant - but hopefully you know what I mean).

Paid £68 for it on eBay, brand new and delivered.

Cheers,
Jon.

dysfunctional