Author Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?  (Read 4835 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

  • Offline chip0704   us

    • XR Member  ‐    44
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline chip0704

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 44
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Arizona
    • Country: us
    Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    on: July 01, 2022, 05:36:55 am
    July 01, 2022, 05:36:55 am
    You guessed it, looking for advice on tires.  I've pretty much exhausted all efforts in reviewing prior posts on this forum, external reviews and local bike shops.  The more I read, the less I know.  This is my last attempt before settling on a selection.

    About me:  I have 10,000 miles on the stock Bridgestone T30s on my 2018 XR.  I guess that tells you my riding style is not very aggressive and I don't change tires often.  I mainly ride solo with no luggage or gear.  I live in Arizona and have no desire to ride in the rain, even though it seems most manufacturers continue to focus on wet riding performance.  My rides are typically 2 hours and I'd prefer more of a sport based tire than touring as longevity is not a goal, but don't need an extreme sport tire.  Here's what I got:

    1)  Michelin Road series:  Gets great feedback on this forum, although I find the tread pattern a bit odd with the focus on moving water.  My local BMW dealer recommends the GT version with the stiffer sidewall and that's all they stock, while members on this forum suggest NOT to get the GT version.  Who's right?  I have not seen the Road 4, 5 or 6 in person to compare the profiles.  Michelin is also offering a $50 rebate.
    2)  Metzler Roadtec 01 SE:  Top choice in MCN review from 2020 with comments that it made their test bike feel lighter and sportier.  That's sounds good to me, but some say it has a very thin carcass and flatter profile.  Local BMW dealer had no opinion.
    3)  Metzler Sportec M9RR:  Sportiest of the bunch but haven't found much input on this site, since it's probably not the typical tire for the XR.
    4)  Dunlop Roadsmart IV:  I've seen mostly positive reviews, but some reports that it's stiff.
    5)  My local BMW dealer.  They only stock Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Road series.  They'll order others, but won't install tires I buy elsewhere.  I'm also confused by the input they provided.  They suggested Michelin is a softer tire and more aggressive than the Roadsmart, with the Roadsmart having more longevity.  Called another dealer and they said the opposite.

    I realize tire choice is very subjective and depends on riding style etc. and just about any sport touring tire will work fine for me, but appreciate any input from the experts!

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2326
    • *****
      #1

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2326
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:50:57 am
    July 01, 2022, 05:50:57 am
    You'll get as many suggestions as there are tyres. Go with what "you" want, not what everyone else thinks you want.

    If you like sporty tyres go the M9RR, l had them and they are indeed impressive.

    TBH, any of the major brands are very good and it all comes down to personal preference.

    Smithy. 
    Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 05:52:10 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline serge1966   au

    • XR Pro  ‐    331
    • ***
      #2

    Offline serge1966

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 331
    • It's all good...
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Melbourne
    • Country: au
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 07:59:05 am
    July 01, 2022, 07:59:05 am
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    You'll get as many suggestions as there are tyres. Go with what "you" want, not what everyone else thinks you want.

    If you like sporty tyres go the M9RR, l had them and they are indeed impressive.

    TBH, any of the major brands are very good and it all comes down to personal preference.

    Smithy.

    What he said...  :038:
    Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

  • Online wessie   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    636
    • ****
      #3

    Online wessie

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 636
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 01:17:59 pm
    July 01, 2022, 01:17:59 pm
    You seem to have ignored the Bridgestone sporty offering. S22 is the current version and many, including me, have used the older S21. The latter work well and will be significantly cheaper.

    In the UK, BMW dealer prices are rarely competitive with specialist bike tyre fitters like the two local ones I have.

  • Online Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1602
    • *****
      #4

    Online Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1602
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 02:08:01 pm
    July 01, 2022, 02:08:01 pm
    If you got 10,000miles out of a pair of T30, I think ‘sporty’ tyres are going to be a bit of a waste.

    Sports touring - of either Road5, Conti Road attack, or Dunlop roadsmart flavors.

    If you can find a pair of T30s cheap enough - go for the same again!

  • Offline bropane   us

    • XR Member  ‐    25
    • **
      #5

    Offline bropane

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 25
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles
    • Country: us
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 04:54:30 pm
    July 01, 2022, 04:54:30 pm
    I’ve been running the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 plus on my bike. They’re multi compound tires and I like them. A coworker that raced on track often told me that they were great street tires. He told me about a place called Wheels In Motion in Chatsworth, CA that sells them cheap. I got both the front and back mounted there for like $300 total. Don’t know if a place like that exist in Arizona, but it’s worth it to check.

  • Offline Crosshairs   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    244
    • ***
      #6

    Offline Crosshairs

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 244
    • Town: Oceanport
    • Country: us
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 01:30:39 am
    July 02, 2022, 01:30:39 am
    *Originally Posted by bropane [+]
    I’ve been running the Dunlop Sportmax Q3 plus on my bike. They’re multi compound tires and I like them. A coworker that raced on track often told me that they were great street tires. He told me about a place called Wheels In Motion in Chatsworth, CA that sells them cheap. I got both the front and back mounted there for like $300 total. Don’t know if a place like that exist in Arizona, but it’s worth it to check.

    I ran a few sets of Q3s on my FZ-09..never got more than 2500 miles out of them..I cant imagine they will last too long on an XR...let us know how they hold up 
    Proud member of the 10/40 club

  • Offline bropane   us

    • XR Member  ‐    25
    • **
      #7

    Offline bropane

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 25
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles
    • Country: us
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 03:47:46 am
    July 02, 2022, 03:47:46 am
    *Originally Posted by Crosshairs [+]
    I ran a few sets of Q3s on my FZ-09..never got more than 2500 miles out of them..I cant imagine they will last too long on an XR...let us know how they hold up 

    I must be too slow :008: because I’m on my first set and I’ve definitely got more mileage than that. I can’t say for sure but I want to say minimum 4-5k miles. I’m getting close to the wear bars now though. I will say most of my riding on them was commuting with some canyon roads here and there. I wouldn’t classify myself as a fast rider by any means. I check my tire pressure religiously too. If that place I bought them from is still selling them cheap, I’ll mount another set. If not, I’m going to go with a sport touring tire.

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1298
    • *****
      #8

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1298
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 04:04:54 am
    July 02, 2022, 04:04:54 am
    I'll put my usual piece here,

    Road 5 is my go to
    The dealer is talking smack about the GT being for the XR and is trying to shift a tyre they have on stock, reason is 2 fold, michelin themselves suggest that tyre is for 250kg+ and 2nd, the XR takes stock 190/55, the GT variants only come in 190/50.

    The Conti Road Attack 3 is a close runner up for me and would be the better choice imo if you don't do aggressive riding as it has a less aggressive profile and slightly better wear pattern.

    That said the Road 6 moved towards being less aggressive too so might be in for a shout, as would the new Conti Road Attack 4s

  • Offline Versatile1   us

    • XR Member  ‐    62
    • **
      #9

    Offline Versatile1

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Posts: 62
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Apison
    • Country: us
    Re: Another Tyre Thread- What To Get?
    Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 03:09:18 pm
    July 02, 2022, 03:09:18 pm
    *Originally Posted by chip0704 [+]
    You guessed it, looking for advice on tires.  I've pretty much exhausted all efforts in reviewing prior posts on this forum, external reviews and local bike shops.  The more I read, the less I know.  This is my last attempt before settling on a selection.

    About me:  I have 10,000 miles on the stock Bridgestone T30s on my 2018 XR.  I guess that tells you my riding style is not very aggressive and I don't change tires often.  I mainly ride solo with no luggage or gear.  I live in Arizona and have no desire to ride in the rain, even though it seems most manufacturers continue to focus on wet riding performance.  My rides are typically 2 hours and I'd prefer more of a sport based tire than touring as longevity is not a goal, but don't need an extreme sport tire.  Here's what I got:

    1)  Michelin Road series:  Gets great feedback on this forum, although I find the tread pattern a bit odd with the focus on moving water.  My local BMW dealer recommends the GT version with the stiffer sidewall and that's all they stock, while members on this forum suggest NOT to get the GT version.  Who's right?  I have not seen the Road 4, 5 or 6 in person to compare the profiles.  Michelin is also offering a $50 rebate.
    2)  Metzler Roadtec 01 SE:  Top choice in MCN review from 2020 with comments that it made their test bike feel lighter and sportier.  That's sounds good to me, but some say it has a very thin carcass and flatter profile.  Local BMW dealer had no opinion.
    3)  Metzler Sportec M9RR:  Sportiest of the bunch but haven't found much input on this site, since it's probably not the typical tire for the XR.
    4)  Dunlop Roadsmart IV:  I've seen mostly positive reviews, but some reports that it's stiff.
    5)  My local BMW dealer.  They only stock Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Road series.  They'll order others, but won't install tires I buy elsewhere.  I'm also confused by the input they provided.  They suggested Michelin is a softer tire and more aggressive than the Roadsmart, with the Roadsmart having more longevity.  Called another dealer and they said the opposite.

    I realize tire choice is very subjective and depends on riding style etc. and just about any sport touring tire will work fine for me, but appreciate any input from the experts!




    They don't make a 55 only a 50 (big deal)


    Amazon sells the rear for $108.96
    Front $74.96
    They are single compound and handle great!
    Why everyone wants to drop $500/set +  on tires is beyond me.  LOVE these Kendas, they are sticky.
    I've had the following:
    Bridgestones Battalax (OEM on XR's)
    Shinkos (also excellent and cheap)
    Pirelli ANGEL'S, ST, GT
    Metzler M5
    Michelin Road 4, Road 5
    Conti Sport Attack,  Conti Road (excellent grip)
    My 2 cents worth...


    Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 03:22:25 pm by Versatile1