Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Baglux tank cover. HELP!!!  (Read 3811 times)

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
Baglux tank cover. HELP!!!
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »
Lo all. Received my Baglux tank cover today, have had same brand covers for all my previous bikes all of which were logical in their fitting, straps etc..
This one, Whoa!!, some of the straps really don't make sense.
Anybody fitted one?? No help on Baglux site or suppliers.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Baglux tank cover. HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 10:04:24 PM »
images no longer avalable

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:21:41 PM »
Thanks winger. Have figured out the headstock strap (not a lot room down there) and the rear (long) straps down to the retaining bolt.
The side straps:- the nearside 'hook' lies flush due to a narrowing of the trim, the offside sticks out at right angles to the trim due the thickness of the trim lip, which is what your photo suggests. Not good in my previous experience of Baglux quality. The two on the front 'wings', adjacent to the headstock strap, mystify me. Your photo suggests that they just wrap around/under the plastic trim so no tension can really be applied. Considered that, but not happy. Is that what the photo shows?
It seems Baglux have thrown these together without concern for aesthetics, great research or modifying to suit the bike or trim.   

Offline Stairliftman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Red
  • Town: Ammanford
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:31:48 PM »
Beware of the 2 side straps, make sure they are tight and tied to something else :084:
Both of mine have gone walkabout and will not be returning in a hurry :110:
The first one went when I was bringing the bike back from a service at my local dealer, :232: the second during my recent tour of the Alps :138:
The design is not very good, and having used Baglux on pretty much all of my bikes in the last 10 years, I have to say that this is well below there usual standard in terms of design. I personally don"t think they are needed, the cover performs perfectly well without them.
The one thing I will say is make sure you tape up the loose straps to stop the accidentally releasing of the clips and you finding out at X speed that your cover is trying to mate with your pillion :005: :148:

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 07:09:57 AM »
Hi Stairliftman. When you say side straps which do you mean? The two either side of the headstock strap? Or the two with one hook that don't fit well ?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 10:08:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by mahseve33 [+]
Thanks winger. Have figured out the headstock strap (not a lot room down there) and the rear (long) straps down to the retaining bolt.
The side straps:- the nearside 'hook' lies flush due to a narrowing of the trim, the offside sticks out at right angles to the trim due the thickness of the trim lip, which is what your photo suggests. Not good in my previous experience of Baglux quality. The two on the front 'wings', adjacent to the headstock strap, mystify me. Your photo suggests that they just wrap around/under the plastic trim so no tension can really be applied. Considered that, but not happy. Is that what the photo shows?
It seems Baglux have thrown these together without concern for aesthetics, great research or modifying to suit the bike or trim.

Took me time to work it out as well I've currently 4 other bikes with Bagster covers (Baglux was the original UK importer who shut up shop) but it works fine,all the tension is on the strap around the headstock,the two that loop under the front plastics isn't great but works,shame they didn't do something similar for my 1100s because the wind gets under it.

As any long time user has already found out you need to tape the one pair of straps as you can see in the photo.

What is very strange This tank cover it only takes the stock Bagster bags as you would on any normal sport tourer previous Africa Twins and 955 Tiger use a specific Trailie bag(I have two different versions) that doesn't fit on the XR as luck would have I have a fair cross section of tank bags so it didin't take much finding out but maybe a hassle for anyone with only the traillie version and more expense.

Offline Jasper

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ipswich
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 11:13:47 AM »
Fitted cover a couple of weeks ago .
The  left hand side strap fits as it should as plastic tapers at curve, but right hand is too thick. I paired it down with a stanly knife and got it to fit flush .not at right angles as pic.
You are correct Baglux don't seem to have thought this through fully.
Cheers

Offline Timc

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s10000xr se
  • Town: BRISTOL
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
Hi Guys
I've just removed the fuel filler flange cover . The pre cut  hole in the tank cover appears to be too small in so much as it wont match up to the 2 holes available in the tank. Am i being dumb or have Baglux made the hole too small
I cant believe that you've got to cut the cover to fit it.
Has anyone else encountered the same problem
Thanks
tim

Offline Jasper

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ipswich
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
 Hi
I tried the same, but I assume cover goes over the tank filler flange. It certainly looks ok like that but not a perfect fit however you do it !
Found the right hand short clip to fairing too small to fit black plastic so gently cut away til hook fits. Apart from that it's reasonably simple and does the job well.
Cheers

Offline Timc

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s10000xr se
  • Town: BRISTOL
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 06:53:53 AM »
Hi
Thanks for your posts.
I'm very reluctant to cut the fuel filler surround but will eventually have to.

Re the right hand short strap with buckle clip which won't clip onto the black plastic fairing.
People are mentioning that they've had to use a knife to alter it .

Are you cutting the bagster buckle clip or the actual fairing?

I'm reluctant to start hacking the fairing on a brand new bike!
I wish I could return the cover as I don't think it's fit for purpose.

Unfortunately there's no other alternatives out there.
Thanks