Author Your experience with the Akrapovic full system  (Read 9316 times)

• Offline Salish1000   us

• XR Member  ‐    39

Offline Salish1000

• XR Member
    • Bike: 16 XR
    • Town: PNW
    Re: Your experience with the Akrapovic full system
    Reply #40 on: August 02, 2022, 08:24:54 pm
    August 02, 2022, 08:24:54 pm
    I appreciate that video very much. Mine has the full titanium Akra with a power commander and it's good to see the gains. Did you notice the grins on his face as the bike spun up? And he's a jaded mechanic who's seen it all. That's a big part of why we love this bike!
    2016 XR with 12,500 and counting
    We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

• Offline XRPig   au

• XR Member  ‐    49

Offline XRPig

• XR Member
    • Bike: BMW S1000XR
    • Town: Newcastle NSW
    Reply #41 on: August 04, 2022, 11:02:50 am
    August 04, 2022, 11:02:50 am
    *Originally Posted by Beemah [+]
    Has anyone put the Akrapovic titanium headers on a 2nd gen XR? I want to do the full system when I get mine. Big gains in performance?

I have put the Stainless Steel Akropovic headers on & remapped the ECU with S1000K Racing Australia. The bike is transformed. I am the previous owner of 2 x Gen 1's & have owned my Gen 2 for 17k kms (approx 10k miles). The mid range is incredible. The sound adorable. Anyone who says the Gen 1 is better is DREAMING.

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    25

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2022 S1000XR
    • Town: NC
    Reply #42 on: August 04, 2022, 05:37:50 pm
    August 04, 2022, 05:37:50 pm
     :084:

Hmm, the video makes me think. The data I would be looking for is not shown. There are a bunch of RED flags in that video. NO ONE drills into a brand new Titanium header and samples only ONE cylinder. The data read from that one cylinder would be irrelevant. You MUST ALWAYS locate a single wide band sensor at the final collector. ANYBODY with simple knowledge knows that.

Dyno charts do not show Lambda or AFR. Or, did I just miss that?

I would have disabled the (2) downflow NB O2 sensors in the ECU (OR used dongles) and then used (2) WB with 18mm adaptors to get a way more accurate reading.

ALL stock GEN II XR's do not make 158RWHP (NET) . GEN 1 is 158 at the crank, GEN II is 162.5HP at the crank. (GROSS HP)

Peak HP did not change at all? Midrange was completely expected with that header design. Are the primaries on the header too large? Is it ECU torque management?

This is why I just don't believe what you see.

Look at the location of the OEM WB O2 sensors on the Akrapovic. They are no where near the OEM location. If you are racing, who cares. You wont use them anyway. When you move the sensors, you really need to adjust sampling timing. Otherwise, you may be adjusting in fuel cells that are later in time (delayed) than expected. If I had to guess, the ECU cannot adjust for this. Autotune systems have settings and calibration for this so you don't adjust the wrong cells.

Further looking at the Akropovic, it looks EXACTLY like the RR header. You will notice that the primary tubes are quite a bit longer than OEM. This is the torque increase. If you are racing, this is what you want when you increase primary tube diameter (top end). Again, racing...not street riding that 99% of us do. This is why i did NOT buy the Akropovic. I'm not at 11500 RPM on the street very much let alone 14000 RPM like the RR. This is where this header design shines.

Look at the Arrow header. Primaries look close to the OEM. All sensors appear to be near or the same location as OEM. Substantially cheaper yet the quality is on par or better. I have used Arrow on 3 other bikes. What I'm trying to say is there is always compromise. Give and take. You really do NOT want a large diameter primary on the street. You lose bottom end and then have to fuel the sh!t out of it to make up for the loss. When you buy an aftermarket pipe with a similar design to the OEM, you will absolutely need less fuel adjustment. It makes perfect sense to me as to why you sometimes see a loss with an Akropovic on a GEN I without fuel adjustments.  :169:

I do believe the GEN II's will adjust per the defined Lambda table within the ECU.

My Arrow is finally on the way. So, I will know real soon..... 
    Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 06:08:51 pm by NoMoreV4
    2022 XR

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    25

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    Reply #43 on: August 05, 2022, 12:13:12 pm
    August 05, 2022, 12:13:12 pm
    There is SO much content on shops that think they know what they are doing. People get pushed in the wrong direction just to buy products that are being pushed. I know, we are in business to make money. I get it. I just look for  little honesty in my old age. I was bored yesterday watching youtube. I came across this video from a shop outside the USA. This guy isnt't pushing anything. He is trying to teach novice people what he does and how difficult it can be. You CANNOT make a complete calibration in just one dyno session. It takes time and testing. I try to tell people this on multiple bike sites that I have been a member of. This video is 34 minutes. Just watch it. The graphs he shows, ALL SPOT ON. Fuel, torque and power of the S1000R. Im going to send him an email just to thank him for taking his time to do this video. He is SPOT ON!

2022 XR

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    25

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    Reply #44 on: August 12, 2022, 05:00:57 pm
    August 12, 2022, 05:00:57 pm
    Does anyone have access to there Akra header and can measure and post dimensions? I would like to compare to the Arrow I just received. Maybe this will shed some light.

BMW OEM Header - is 37.68mm OD at the head. Same at the inlet of the first collector. NO step up.

ARROW Header -  is 40.6mm OD at the head. 42.5mm at the inlet of first collector. Outlet of first collector is 43.95mm.

AKRAPOVIC Header - ?? Need info
    Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 05:06:25 pm by NoMoreV4
    2022 XR

dysfunctional