Author 2022 Dyno Testing  (Read 4530 times)

Watshot, Mitch, Darty65 and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

• Offline Belco100   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    304

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
    • Bike: Gen 2 Racing Red
    • Town: Essex
    Re: 2022 Dyno Testing
    Reply #30 on: August 05, 2022, 10:31:22 am
    August 05, 2022, 10:31:22 am
    I decided to leave my bike box stock this time (full system, Sprint air filter, acoustic removal etc on my Gen1) but just dropped a Bren Tune into it using the Wideband sensors to just adjust the AFR (yes, I know, not as good as a full Dyno remap) and just have the inlet flap opened via software.

The main problem when riding on the roads on the standard Gen2 is the very soft throttle at the bottom i.e. first 15% of twist feels like it does nothing - much improved with the Bren Tune  :084:
    Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 11:10:00 am by Belco100

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2022 S1000XR
    • Town: NC
    Reply #31 on: August 05, 2022, 01:00:38 pm
    August 05, 2022, 01:00:38 pm
    I know about the BT product. If I wasn't editing the calibration myself (waiting for Woolich), that would be a decent option. However, this thread is for dyno information. Before and after dyno runs with any full header without the recalibration of the ECU on a GEN II XR or R. Even if the dyno numbers are skewed (base and after), the gains/losses would be evident.

I removed the damper doors because I hate when people tell me I cannot without their product. That's the only reason why I posted that. Also, it's free. Leaving the doors in the intake track is still a restriction. They still have to move out of the way. I have yet to determine if they open rapidly or over RPM. I think its the latter. (Still a big restriction)

I think you are correct about the throttle. There is way to much delay. This is the majority of the problem. However, while tuning other bikes, there is more to it then that. I'm willing to bet the timing has holes/valleys for torque pullbacks, torque management tables, and throttle body plates not going 100% even when commanded to do so.

Also, what you said about a full dyno remap is better than using factory Wideband O2's. Even on the dyno, you tune with the same O2's. On the street, the widebands will adjust where ever your current throttle position is. This is many many positions on a fuel table. WAY more than a dyno operator will do. I would trust OEM widebands doing their job as you ride way before any 2 hour dyno session.

FYI - My Arrow header is in Italy Export. It is on its way. Finally  :156:
    2022 XR

• Offline mdesjard   us

• XR Member  ‐    51

Offline mdesjard

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2021 Red S1000XR
    • Town: Safety Harbor,FL
    Reply #32 on: August 06, 2022, 09:01:57 pm
    August 06, 2022, 09:01:57 pm
    NoMoreV4,

I am seriously considering a 1290 KTM.  Not sure if it would be the 2023 GT (Hopefully coming to the US) a SAS or an SAR.
    How do you like it compared to the XR? Do you still have your KTM 1290 GT and are you selling it? (Would love to see photos!)

Also, I have to agree you with on the stock XR.  Off the line, I too thought it was really slow even compared to my heavy 2015 K1600 GT.
    I now have it bren tuned stage 2 and it is much much better and faster.  What kind of gains could I expect if I installed a full header system vs the stock exhaust?  How much louder would it be with the full header system?

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #33 on: August 08, 2022, 12:54:34 pm
    August 08, 2022, 12:54:34 pm
    *Originally Posted by mdesjard [+]
    NoMoreV4,

I am seriously considering a 1290 KTM.  Not sure if it would be the 2023 GT (Hopefully coming to the US) a SAS or an SAR.
    How do you like it compared to the XR? Do you still have your KTM 1290 GT and are you selling it? (Would love to see photos!)

Also, I have to agree you with on the stock XR.  Off the line, I too thought it was really slow even compared to my heavy 2015 K1600 GT.
    I now have it bren tuned stage 2 and it is much much better and faster.  What kind of gains could I expect if I installed a full header system vs the stock exhaust?  How much louder would it be with the full header system?

Sold the 2020 KTM SD GT 4 months ago. Was a fast bike especially after I recalibrated the ECU. Motor really doesn't belong on a touring bike. It is a high strung V-Twin meant for racing. Vibrated quite a bit because it was a 13:1 motor. IMHO. Handle pretty well, had a waffling issue in the front end I had to deal with. I could not get comfortable on it.

I have no idea what gains to expect with an Arrow header on the Gen II XR as I haven't done it yet. I hope its not loud as I extremely dislike loud bikes. It's stupid and useless. Again, my opinion. However, dyno runs without and with a muffler absolutely prove my point. Loud bikes are useless. I started this thread to see if anyone has actually dyno before and after installing the Arrow WITHOUT any changes to the ECU. So, I decided to start the process. I ordered the Arrow with the best muffler over a month ago. Still waiting for it.

All I can tell you is that I was not happy at all with the lack of low and midrange grunt. It handles better than the KTM. At least for me. I have NO waffling issues. I can get comfortable for an hour on it. I have a Sargent seat. It still needs to be tweaked. I bypassed the exhaust servo and notice a bit more torque. At the same time I remove the DB killer from the OEM muffler. Then, I removed the Air Box Intake damper doors. Doing that, it really made it into a new bike. Those flappers were killing power below 7000RPM. Now, it easily raises the front end when it sweeps past 6000 in 1st and 2nd gears. Part throttle.

I think the header wont give "huge" top end gains because the design is similar as OEM. Where it will shine is the midrange. The goal for me is to completely remove the hole. Look at my all stock dyno run in the beginning of this thread. Some of that is exhaust, some of it it torque pull backs in the ECU. This RPM is were I ride all the time in the twisties. I rarely rev the sh!t out of it. Well, yesterday I did just to make sure this little performance increase (Air box flapper delete) wasn't a placebo affect. Let me tell you, it is NOT !

I think this bike has hidden potential. Can I get it to hit 170HP SAE NET? Hmmmm.... it will be close I think...
    2022 XR

• Offline mdesjard   us

• XR Member  ‐    51

Offline mdesjard

• XR Member
    Reply #34 on: August 08, 2022, 01:44:02 pm
    August 08, 2022, 01:44:02 pm
    yup brentune really did it for me. even stage 1 was way way better.  Brentune quickened up the quickshifter.  effortless and less lag between shifts.  The heat of the engine after the tune is greatly improved as well.  Very interested in the results after you install the header.  How much was the header if you dont mind me asking?  and was the Arrow the best option in your opinion?

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #35 on: August 08, 2022, 09:19:37 pm
    August 08, 2022, 09:19:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by mdesjard [+]
    yup brentune really did it for me. even stage 1 was way way better.  Brentune quickened up the quickshifter.  effortless and less lag between shifts.  The heat of the engine after the tune is greatly improved as well.  Very interested in the results after you install the header.  How much was the header if you don't mind me asking?  and was the Arrow the best option in your opinion?

Price of the Header/system varies from 1200 to 1400 + tax + shipping in the USA. Depends on the muffler selection. Accessories International is the biggest supplier of Arrow.

I really don't know what the best option is. All I can suggest is why I picked the Arrow. I just posted this a few days ago. Read the last two postings on this thread:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,6480.40.html
    2022 XR

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2214

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #36 on: August 08, 2022, 09:29:54 pm
    August 08, 2022, 09:29:54 pm
    *Originally Posted by NoMoreV4 [+]
    Price of the Header/system varies from 1200 to 1400 + tax + shipping in the USA. Depends on the muffler selection. Accessories International is the biggest supplier of Arrow.

I really don't know what the best option is. All I can suggest is why I picked the Arrow. I just posted this a few days ago. Read the last two postings on this thread:

https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,6480.40.html

Have Arrow headers on my Gen-1....nicely made, fit well and the welds are perfect....made a nice difference to the "rideabilty" after a fiddle with the Rapid Bike Evo tuning to get things how I wanted them....very happy with the way it rides now. I have a "real time" A/F gauge with wideband sensor and it tells me what's happening at any point in time so I can make tiny adjustments to the map as required....quite a useful tool. Ultimate hp is not really what I'm after on a road bike...I just want a "useable" and easy to ride machine with reasonable performance. As you mentioned....how often do we ride at 11k + RPM on the road..?? Most of our riding time on the road is spent in the low-mid range.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 09:34:50 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Online NoMoreV4   us

• XR Member  ‐    26
    • Topic Author

Online NoMoreV4

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #37 on: August 10, 2022, 06:51:54 pm
    August 10, 2022, 06:51:54 pm
    Look what came in today.....

:047:

Doing one more dyno session before this install on Saturday. I want to see what the flapper removal did....
    2022 XR

• Offline mdesjard   us

• XR Member  ‐    51

Offline mdesjard

• XR Member
    Reply #38 on: August 10, 2022, 07:19:55 pm
    August 10, 2022, 07:19:55 pm
    get them installed!!

• Online NoMoreV4   us