Author abs activation for rear brake bleeding  (Read 3067 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Whitewolf   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author

    Offline Whitewolf

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: S1000RR 2013
    • Town: Ca
    • Country: us
    abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    on: July 21, 2022, 03:43:55 am
    July 21, 2022, 03:43:55 am
    These instructions were posted for a different problem but i’m wondering if you guys think this method would work and save me expensive dealership costs. i’m trying to bleed my rear brake, The GS-911 is used to cycle the abs while bleeding. I don’t have one. Thanks

    1. Put the bike on center stand in the dark.
    2. Turn the key on and start the engine in neutral.
    3. Use your foot or a helper to slowly rotate the
    rear wheel (to simulate the motorcycle moving).
    4. Pull the front brake lever firmly. You should hear
    the ABS pump cycle.
    5. Watch the dashboard for flickering.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2214
    • *****
      #1

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2214
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #1 on: July 22, 2022, 07:31:39 am
    July 22, 2022, 07:31:39 am
    *Originally Posted by Whitewolf [+]
    These instructions were posted for a different problem but i’m wondering if you guys think this method would work and save me expensive dealership costs. i’m trying to bleed my rear brake, The GS-911 is used to cycle the abs while bleeding. I don’t have one. Thanks

    1. Put the bike on center stand in the dark.
    2. Turn the key on and start the engine in neutral.
    3. Use your foot or a helper to slowly rotate the
    rear wheel (to simulate the motorcycle moving).
    4. Pull the front brake lever firmly. You should hear
    the ABS pump cycle.
    5. Watch the dashboard for flickering.

    Won't work, bike needs to be travelling at a certain speed before the ABS system is active, then when you open the bleeder nipple, the system will shut down unless the system is bypassed by the GS-911 or Motoscan. You can try it without the GS-911 or Motoscan ...but l doubt it will work.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 07:32:51 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online bazzer   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1151
    • *****
      #2

    Online bazzer

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1151
    • Town: Waterlooville
    • Country: gb
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 09:16:54 am
    July 22, 2022, 09:16:54 am
    You don't HAVE to bleed the ABS module when bleeding the brakes. I agree its not a bad idea to get old fluid out of it, but you don't HAVE too. Unless you are replacing it of course.

    I use the motoscan app to do it and it works really well.


  • Offline Whitewolf   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Whitewolf

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: S1000RR 2013
    • Town: Ca
    • Country: us
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 05:01:57 pm
    July 22, 2022, 05:01:57 pm
    I bled the rear brake properly but it still doesn’t work well so i’m assuming there’s air in the abs side of the line.
     This all started with my rear fluid reservoir coming loose while riding aggressively and coming home to find it flopped over with no cap dangling sideways empty of fluid of course.
    Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:02:44 pm by Whitewolf

  • Offline JTL   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    334
    • ***
      #4

    Offline JTL

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 334
    • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
    • Town: England
    • Country: gb
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #4 on: July 23, 2022, 05:02:57 pm
    July 23, 2022, 05:02:57 pm
    Phoenix claim their V-5 brake bleeder doesn't need scan tools to bleed an ABS system.
    I have this bleeder and it does a great job on my KTM's (non-ABS) brakes.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2214
    • *****
      #5

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2214
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 10:06:23 pm
    July 23, 2022, 10:06:23 pm
    *Originally Posted by JTL [+]
    Phoenix claim their V-5 brake bleeder doesn't need scan tools to bleed an ABS system.
    I have this bleeder and it does a great job on my KTM's (non-ABS) brakes.

    Doesn't matter what "manual" method you use, you'll never get "all" the old fluid/crud and air out of the ABS unit/system unless it is activated by a GS-911 or Motoscan.

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Whitewolf   us

    • XR Junior  ‐    6
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline Whitewolf

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 6
    • Bike: S1000RR 2013
    • Town: Ca
    • Country: us
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #6 on: July 23, 2022, 11:37:06 pm
    July 23, 2022, 11:37:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    Doesn't matter what "manual" method you use, you'll never get "all" the old fluid/crud and air out of the ABS unit/system unless it is activated by a GS-911 or Motoscan.

    Smithy.


    Hey Smithy what do you think of me finding out the voltage to abs unit and just manually applying said voltage to the unit to cycle the system?

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2214
    • *****
      #7

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2214
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 08:27:06 pm
    July 24, 2022, 08:27:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Whitewolf [+]

    Hey Smithy what do you think of me finding out the voltage to abs unit and just manually applying said voltage to the unit to cycle the system?

    You can try it, nothing to lose I guess...I've not tried this method myself, I just use Motoscan or my GS-911 to do it...

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Online Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1080
    • *****
      #8

    Online Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1080
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 06:54:41 am
    July 25, 2022, 06:54:41 am
    *Originally Posted by Whitewolf [+]

    Hey Smithy what do you think of me finding out the voltage to abs unit and just manually applying said voltage to the unit to cycle the system?

    I'd heavily recommend just investing a measly 100 bucks for the motoscan app and an OBD reader, will make your life so much easier and not just for bleeding the ABS system.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2214
    • *****
      #9

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2214
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: abs activation for rear brake bleeding
    Reply #9 on: July 25, 2022, 08:56:43 pm
    July 25, 2022, 08:56:43 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    I'd heavily recommend just investing a measly 100 bucks for the motoscan app and an OBD reader, will make your life so much easier and not just for bleeding the ABS system.

    Agree Sir..!  :028: :169:

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

     



    dysfunctional