Author Gearbox issues  (Read 1160 times)

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1151

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Re: Gearbox issues
    Reply #20 on: August 04, 2022, 02:00:21 pm
    August 04, 2022, 02:00:21 pm
    Give the guy a break Winger, he's not here for life advice, just if people have seen the issue. So he can get a better idea of what might be involved.

Gearbox will mean engine out and the engine cases split, so a fair bit of labour to see what's wrong. Have you considered another engine from a crashed bike and just do a swap? There are a reasonable number on Ebay.

I did this when when I found a couple of leaky valves, I could have rebuilt the engine (and probably will) But I was up and running in a day and a half and that was without a full pro workshop of kit.

• Offline Maljar   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline Maljar

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000xr
    • Town: Pontefract
    Reply #21 on: August 04, 2022, 02:09:38 pm
    August 04, 2022, 02:09:38 pm
    Thats a fair comment about a replacement engine ill look into that.
    Cheers

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1080

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #22 on: August 04, 2022, 02:27:27 pm
    August 04, 2022, 02:27:27 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maljar [+]
    Thats a fair comment about a replacement engine ill look into that.
    Cheers

That's my plan too, i don't care too much for the engine, especially not compared to the chassis, a good condition new engine can be had cheaper than a new shock!!!

It is basically disposable for the price you can get them compared to labour or parts costs (consider a single clutch cover os over 400 from BMW)

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1151

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #23 on: August 04, 2022, 02:50:06 pm
    August 04, 2022, 02:50:06 pm
    My 2018 replacement engine with 1800miles on it cost less than my K-Tech rear shock :)

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #24 on: August 04, 2022, 03:50:37 pm
    August 04, 2022, 03:50:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Maljar [+]
    While I appreciate all advice people make different decisions for different circumstances.
    I'm quite happy for my bike to get looked at and possibly repaired by the engineers in split, its a bmw dealer they will be just as, if not more competent than UK engineers.
    My breakdown cover would have brought my bike back if it had been involved in a crash but for mechanical failure they would have taken it to a local garage or dealer, I had already got it to a dealer so they didn't need to do anything.
    At no point have I mentioned I can't afford repairs, so don't assume what you don't know anything about  I'm waiting until I know whats wrong with it then I will make my decision based upon those findings.

My original post was to enquire if this had happened to anyone previously and if it had did they get any help from BMW. Gathering information like that will help me if I need to contact BMW.

Read your original post and your asking for help from BM on a 4 year old bike, you’ve a better chance of a million on the premium bonds.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 04:02:25 pm
    August 04, 2022, 04:02:25 pm
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    Give the guy a break Winger, he's not here for life advice, just if people have seen the issue. So he can get a better idea of what might be involved.

Gearbox will mean engine out and the engine cases split, so a fair bit of labour to see what's wrong. Have you considered another engine from a crashed bike and just do a swap? There are a reasonable number on Ebay.

I did this when when I found a couple of leaky valves, I could have rebuilt the engine (and probably will) But I was up and running in a day and a half and that was without a full pro workshop of kit.

Where we differ i’m Saying get the bike back here and he can work it out in his own sweet time, the motor thing is a no brainer that it’s best for him to work out in his own time, I went the same route which I posted about in my first one on the thread.

As for getting the shop to open the motor up...you’ve gone into great detail why he shouldn’t .

As for going out there it’s a hike furthest east we’ve been is Porec but it is what it is, but there’s going to be a serious bill and that’s all there is to it, but far better to confront it at home rather than over there.

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1505

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #26 on: August 04, 2022, 04:16:38 pm
    August 04, 2022, 04:16:38 pm
    Just something to consider if you are looking into hiring a van to go and collect the bike (which may appear the easiest option, with a mate and lots of tie-down straps.

Even before we left EU - there were lots of hire companies which did not allow the van to be taken outwith the UK.  I doubt this has got any easier since January.

Good luck with it all, whatever course of action you settle on. 

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3522

Offline Winger

• XR God
    Reply #27 on: August 04, 2022, 04:50:52 pm
    August 04, 2022, 04:50:52 pm
    Funny you saying that, I had a couple years moving bikes for a living, but just been talking to a mate on the phone who is a hard core transport guy and was asking about getting the bike back from Split, and Brexit got mentioned...dear me, if the owner is not with the bike it will need all the paper work with it and a letter of authority, he was saying not impossible.