Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi From Aberdeen, Scotland  (Read 2108 times)

Offline B11RGER

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000 XR Sport
  • Town: Aberdeen
Hi From Aberdeen, Scotland
« on: July 15, 2016, 09:16:42 PM »
Hi Guys, Im in my early sixties been biking the last 18 years on Pan Europeans ( 2x1100's and 3 1300's and 1x  R 1150 RT.  Swithering to buy the XR sport SE.  I have a 2013 Goldwing and a 2007 650 Versys at present. I generally use the bike for going back and fore to work, so take the versys as it is more suited.Don't get much chance to use the Goldwing. I find the Versys is a great fun bike, so I was hoping to but the XR and sell both the other bikes. The XR is a sort of half way between. I was also thinking on the Versys 1000. Company in Glasgow doing a good deal with panniers as well as a good price for my wing until the end of the month. On Holiday next week so going to try it out. I really fancied getting a bike with out a chain, but hey ho!  My Versys is on its original chain at 16,000 miles so hopefully the Beemer will last as long. So I joined this forum to lurk around to see if  the XR is the bike for me.... :001:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Hi From Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 09:25:38 PM »
 :400:, hope the XR suits the bill for you, bit different to the Goldwing. Always had chain drive, shaft ok until it needs seeing too..then you find out why its called 'shaft'  :007:
Loving the XR, first bike of my own with a screen so a bit overwhelmed in a way, the XR just looks mint, panniers a must just for looks in my opinion, don't ride without them, found to be really handy to carry bits just in case, tyre repair kit, sat nav / phone charger / gopro / butties & luggage strap.
Enjoy !
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline B11RGER

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Hi GB.. thanks for your welcome. I have always had bikes with panniers, My Versys has a set also. need somewhere to hold helmet also the odd bit of shopping and the lunch. The wing has all the gadgets, but is too awkward to service myself and a fortune to be done by the dealer. it has an air bag which has to be removed just to change out the air filter. I wand something easier or a little less expensive to service by a dealer. I know Bemmers are not the cheapest. But I will work something out. Most  tyre shops wont even look at a wing either to change out a tyre, they prefer you to remove the wheel your self..I am nae that dedicated.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Sounds like a lot of myther with the wing pal, BM relatively easy in comparison i'd say, first service was 150 at 700 miles, gets the restriction off so you can open her up more so.
Tall bike for me at 5'8", just on me tip toes but ok.
Bugger vibrates through the bars around the 5000 rev's, bar ends sorted it, 40 quid I shouldn't need to spend on a new out of the box bike but hey ho, i'll make it back I through bm 1 day  :008:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline B11RGER

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
The Versys being a twin is similar to the XR and I think it is the same seat height at 840 mm. Im also 5.8' . I reckon I would get the lowered seat. Sometimes with a lower seat  there is a bit of a sacrafice on the comfort. My pal took delivery of his  Xr today so I will be checking his out on Sunday to see if this is the bike for me.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2016, 08:36:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by B11RGER [+]
Hi Guys, Im in my early sixties been biking the last 18 years on Pan Europeans ( 2x1100's and 3 1300's and 1x  R 1150 RT.  Swithering to buy the XR sport SE.  I have a 2013 Goldwing and a 2007 650 Versys at present. I generally use the bike for going back and fore to work, so take the versys as it is more suited.Don't get much chance to use the Goldwing. I find the Versys is a great fun bike, so I was hoping to but the XR and sell both the other bikes. The XR is a sort of half way between. I was also thinking on the Versys 1000. Company in Glasgow doing a good deal with panniers as well as a good price for my wing until the end of the month. On Holiday next week so going to try it out. I really fancied getting a bike with out a chain, but hey ho!  My Versys is on its original chain at 16,000 miles so hopefully the Beemer will last as long. So I joined this forum to lurk around to see if  the XR is the bike for me.... :001:

Reading this the last thing in world I'd be buying is an XR I think culture shock are the words I'm looking for,XR's are for riding fast if your not going to do that then your into the realms of many other bikes,looking at your criteria I'd be looking at the Yamaha 1200 Tenere or if your prepared to put up with a chain either a Versys1000 or the new 1050 Tiger Sport and even then any of those will be somewhat different from what you have now never mind an XR and I say all of the above as a biker who is the same age but I've been riding since the clock struck midnight at 16 years of age.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2016, 09:40:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Reading this the last thing in world I'd be buying is an XR I think culture shock are the words I'm looking for,XR's are for riding fast if your not going to do that then your into the realms of many other bikes,looking at your criteria I'd be looking at the Yamaha 1200 Tenere or if your prepared to put up with a chain either a Versys1000 or the new 1050 Tiger Sport and even then any of those will be somewhat different from what you have now never mind an XR and I say all of the above as a biker who is the same age but I've been riding since the clock struck midnight at 16 years of age.

I thought the same, and came to the conclusion that a 2017 GS would be a better option, as it has shaft drive. The latest GS's are nothing like the previous model in the way they deliver the power, as they are much sportier, and love to be ridden hard! An average rider on an XR would struggle to get away from a good rider on the latest GS over a long distance.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 09:44:09 AM by RichS1000XR »

Offline B11RGER

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
Thanks for your honest opinions guys  :821:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2016, 11:45:17 AM »
My bench mark is 17" wheels I've had several bike with 19" and 21" and as I've no intention of off-roading my preference is a better selection of tyres with more grip.

Over a long distance an XR is never going to be quicker because it doesn't have the tank range in fact over a 200 mile journey both my old 955 Tiger and 1100s which has a big tank are both quicker because neither need to stop for fuel BUT!!!! Out in the real world of having to deal with all the other dickheads on the road both on 4 and 2 wheels the XR really is one of the greats and with some added bits and bobs can be made even better.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 07:37:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by B11RGER [+]
Thanks for your honest opinions guys  :821:

If you're not in a hurry, BMW will be announcing a higher power version of the GS at Intermot, bridging the gap between the GS and the XR. It'll be available in Q1 2017. I'm waiting, with baited breath!

dysfunctional