Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR Owner - What does this mean...  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Alpinescars

• Ex Member
  • XR Junior
New XR Owner - What does this mean...
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:34:12 PM »
Hi all,

So, today I picked up my XR and waved goodbye to my R..... a sad day in many ways, but I can almost hear my pelvis breathing a sigh of relief....

I'm supposed to be working, but found myself leaving idly through my shiny new owners manual.

Obviously, much of it is exactly the same as in my 'R' owners manual.

I did spot something that sounded good, but I have no idea what it means. Even a Google search brought up absolutely nothing. In the 'Engineering Details' section it goes through all the rider modes and what effect these have on the ASC, DTC, ABS, etc. In Dynamic and Dynamic Pro under 'throttle response', it states the phrase, "The thrust acoustics are on."

Now this sounds like something you'd hear on Star Trek, but does anyone know what it means? Something relating to the exhaust valve / noise limitation??

Cheers, Jon.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: New XR Owner - What does this mean...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 04:19:44 PM »
It just means it's louder in Dynamic and Dynamic Pro. Fit a full Akra system for maximum volume though! :008:

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 07:00:41 PM »
 The blips on downshifts a certainly more pronounced once in dynamic and above
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Mute

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Motherwell
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 01:28:23 AM »
There's a valve in the exhaust is opened in dynamic and dynamic pro mode. I haven't checked but i imagine it's just letting air into the system because the bike pops, bangs and crackles in those modes but not in rain or road.

Sounds nice for a stock bike.

Offline BMW_XR_D

• XR Member
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: brentwood
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 02:21:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mute [+]
There's a valve in the exhaust is opened in dynamic and dynamic pro mode. I haven't checked but i imagine it's just letting air into the system because the bike pops, bangs and crackles in those modes but not in rain or road.

Sounds nice for a stock bike.

The valve is a servo, It only opens after 5000rpm regardless what mode your in. Its there for noise regulations and yes you can disconnect cables and your XR will sound better at low RPM.

Offline Mute

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:21:08 AM »
I think that might be something else. For bangs and pops, there would need to be air getting in upstream of the cat. Maybe a secondary air system or something like that? I don't know if they fit those to bikes but the bike does have a honkin great cat slung under the belly so maybe.

Cool to find out about that other valve though, I'm going to do that mod today.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
I was told by a guy from BMW UK the pops and crackles and had been 'engineered in' at development, so I would assume that is what it means

Sounds great!!!!!

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 04:09:20 PM »
At 48 years old its brought out the kid in me,  :164: see a group of bikers / blokes roadside, quick acceleration then off the gas and or change down. boom pop boom pop pop...big smiley faces, all from the standard can  :152:

Anyone comment on aftermarket cans, bloody expensive but pretty convinced not worth the £800 odd  :005: :005:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 04:10:53 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Mute

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 04:35:33 PM »
Yeah been thinking a lot about that too. I've convinced myself it's not a can I want because the stock one looks alright and is more or less straight through.

What I really want is the headers. But, I don't want to have to fit a power commander and I don't fancy a remap.

I could a decat instead. Much cheaper than headers, probably as loud and within a few % of breathing and weight savings. Still means a power commander or a remap.

I'm sure the ECU will adjust OK to no cat or changed headers so that the engine doesn't Cook itself from being lean but it's going to lose torque low down.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 05:22:51 PM »
Have you had the red dongle mapped in at BM..?
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

dysfunctional