Author Limited petrol in France-Be aware 😊  (Read 2902 times)

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    223
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    Limited petrol in France-Be aware 😊
    on: October 18, 2022, 06:21:47 am
    October 18, 2022, 06:21:47 am
    Just completed a trip from Italy to the Uk and back. Not sure if many or any people are planning a trip to, or through, France but fuel tanker delivery drivers are on strike and many petrol stations do not have petrol and almost no diesel.The last 3 service stations on the Autoroute to the Montblanc tunnel had no petrol of any description.Also when filling up make sure you get a printed receipt as card fraud seems prevalent in certain  areas.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1401

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Re: Limited petrol in France-Be aware 😊
    Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 07:14:00 am
    October 18, 2022, 07:14:00 am
    *Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
    Just completed a trip from Italy to the Uk and back. Not sure if many or any people are planning a trip to, or through, France but fuel tanker delivery drivers are on strike and many petrol stations do not have petrol and almost no diesel.The last 3 service stations on the Autoroute to the Montblanc tunnel had no petrol of any description.Also when filling up make sure you get a printed receipt as card fraud seems prevalent in certain  areas.

Sounds like a similar situation to what happened in the UK earlier this year.

• Offline Col_C   gb

• XR Member  ‐    21

Offline Col_C

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE Gen2
    • Town: Cornwall
    Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 06:13:29 pm
    October 18, 2022, 06:13:29 pm
    Yes only once ever been hit by card fraud and that was by a rural French petrol station. Managed to track down the garage by the transaction time matched to my tracking on the satnav, bank sorted it without much hassle. There was no way you could fit that much fuel in a motorcycle!  :027:

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    223
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 07:04:13 pm
    October 18, 2022, 07:04:13 pm
    Just going through the same thing myself.Apparently the BP station at Angres, on the main autoroute, seems to think that I can put over 100 litres into my bike 😕. Just raised the complaint with HSBC UK.

• Offline Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1620

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 07:34:35 pm
    October 18, 2022, 07:34:35 pm
    A hell of a situation - a fuel shortage while the French government are subsidising it by 30c/litre !!!

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    652

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 08:33:22 pm
    October 18, 2022, 08:33:22 pm
    *Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
    Just going through the same thing myself.Apparently the BP station at Angres, on the main autoroute, seems to think that I can put over 100 litres into my bike 😕. Just raised the complaint with HSBC UK.

have you used a debit card (or pre-pay card like Revolut) in an automated pump? If so, this is probably a pre-authorisation and will be corrected in a day or two, to the actual amount used.

if you can, use a credit card for future fuel purchases in France so your credit limit absorbs the pre-authorisation without affecting spending.

• Offline Diavel   la

• XR Pro  ‐    223
    • Topic Author

Offline Diavel

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 07:09:14 am
    October 19, 2022, 07:09:14 am
    Thanks. I work in banking and this is an interesting observation that you have raised. It was a debit card but the way this card works now is that the debit to available funds is immediate but the debit to the account can take some days.In this case the amount has already been debited to available funds but not to the ledger balance.This is after one week so something odd is going on.You are right about credit cards but they can represent a greater risk with fraud as they have the  credit balance that fraudsters can max out on very quickly.I am sure that I will get the money back eventually but I had to destroy my debit card and as I live overseas this is going to be a hassle...but , as they say...s**t happens 😁

• Offline Col_C   gb

• XR Member  ‐    21

Offline Col_C

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE Gen2
    • Town: Cornwall
    Reply #7 on: October 19, 2022, 07:16:46 pm
    October 19, 2022, 07:16:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Col_C [+]
    Yes only once ever been hit by card fraud and that was by a rural French petrol station. Managed to track down the garage by the transaction time matched to my tracking on the satnav, bank sorted it without much hassle. There was no way you could fit that much fuel in a motorcycle!  :027:
    To add a bit more detail....
    It was getting on for ten years ago now, so not a new problem.
    Getting a paper receipt will help a claim but didn't stop the fraud happening in my experience.
    It was on a credit card and the paper receipt showed the correct amount however when the monthly statement arrived somehow the garage had managed to take much more on the same single transaction.

I wonder if this is just a problem for foreigners only, is there a loophole in the Euro-Pound transfer being exploited?

• Online RyanGTXR   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    401

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    Reply #8 on: October 19, 2022, 07:31:02 pm
    October 19, 2022, 07:31:02 pm
    A note on the taking pre-approved payment thingy . . . . . . in France early Sept, card only station as so many are, my Credit card rejected so my friend paid on her Debit card and it took £100 from her account for 2 bikes worth of petrol. Took nearly 2 weeks for her to get the refunded amount back, but seems to me the CC was rejected as not linked to bank account.
    Fekin French. Need a new tunnel avoiding the shithole (well, not southern that's nice but still wank rules and scamming petrol stations)

• Offline Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1620

Offline Mareng1

• XR God
    • Town: Cumbria
    Reply #9 on: October 19, 2022, 08:14:23 pm
    October 19, 2022, 08:14:23 pm
    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
    A note on the taking pre-approved payment thingy . . . . . . in France early Sept, card only station as so many are, my Credit card rejected so my friend paid on her Debit card and it took £100 from her account for 2 bikes worth of petrol. Took nearly 2 weeks for her to get the refunded amount back, but seems to me the CC was rejected as not linked to bank account.
    Fekin French. Need a new tunnel avoiding the shithole (well, not southern that's nice but still wank rules and scamming petrol stations)

The £100 pre-authorisation is now becoming widespread in UK too.   It may get refunded slightly quicker due to being local, but in essence is the same scheme.

You should boycott France to maintain your blood-pressure.   :159: