Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Carbon Fibre question  (Read 2856 times)

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Carbon Fibre question
« on: July 20, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
I've just fitted the Powerbronze gloss chain guard, and have some carbon bits from Zero Limits on order, but the carbon weave is different.

The Powerbronze chain guard is 2/2 twill weave, and the ZL carbon is hi gloss 3k twill weave carbon fibre.

My question is, will they look completely different next to each other, or would you have to get up very close to notice the difference?

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
Re: Carbon Fibre question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
It doesn't matter.  You'll know they are different and therefore you won't be happy.  Make a decision.
Regards
Scotti

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotti [+]
It doesn't matter.  You'll know they are different and therefore you won't be happy.  Make a decision.

It's as if you know me! :008:

Offline nick1972

• XR Member
  • Bike: R9T, S1KR, STR.
  • Town: Berkshire/Perth
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by RichS1000XR [+]
I've just fitted the Powerbronze gloss chain guard, and have some carbon bits from Zero Limits on order, but the carbon weave is different.

The Powerbronze chain guard is 2/2 twill weave, and the ZL carbon is hi gloss 3k twill weave carbon fibre.

My question is, will they look completely different next to each other, or would you have to get up very close to notice the difference?

Also, I've found that the carbon on the HP heel plates and on the Akra can don't match with the weave on the Zero Limit..... I'm over it though. Still looks good.

Has your upper tank bit arrived (the bit the goes around the filler cap)? Did it "click" in easily, mine seems a little stiff  :164:

Nick.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:29 AM »
I met an XR owner at the IoM.  His bike was festooned with Carbon....and BST wheels.

It looked awesome...

You can't have too much carbon...

:028:

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 04:04:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by nick1972 [+]
Also, I've found that the carbon on the HP heel plates and on the Akra can don't match with the weave on the Zero Limit..... I'm over it though. Still looks good.

Has your upper tank bit arrived (the bit the goes around the filler cap)? Did it "click" in easily, mine seems a little stiff  :164:

Nick.

Is it that noticeable, or do you have to get up close? I don't want my bike looking like a mish mash of different carbon fibre!

I've not had my ZL stuff yet. Re the filler cap surround, how does the old one come off? There's one visible bolt, then does it twist off, or do you have to loosen the bolts around the filler cap itself?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:14:49 PM by RichS1000XR »

Offline nick1972

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »
Is it that noticeable, or do you have to get up close? I don't want my bike looking like a mish mash of different carbon fibre!

I've not had my ZL stuff yet. Re the filler cap surround, how does the old one come off? There's one visible bolt, then does it twist off, or do you have to loosen the bolts around the filler cap itself?

Rich,

The ZL stuff I bought is twill style, the Akra and heel plates are in plain style.

I only noticed the other day.

Regards, the tank surround, you only need remove the single screw, the rest is held in by two plastic lugs, the ZL product needed a bit of Dremmel treatment on the lugs as they are a slightly different shape.

Still not on perfectly on one side, when it goes into Bahnstormers next, I'll get them to put it on properly.

Nick.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by nick1972 [+]
Rich,

The ZL stuff I bought is twill style, the Akra and heel plates are in plain style.

I only noticed the other day.

Regards, the tank surround, you only need remove the single screw, the rest is held in by two plastic lugs, the ZL product needed a bit of Dremmel treatment on the lugs as they are a slightly different shape.

Still not on perfectly on one side, when it goes into Bahnstormers next, I'll get them to put it on properly.

Nick.

If you only noticed the other day, I'm hoping it's not that noticeable then! :008:

I'm not prepared to Dremel it. If it doesn't fit, it's going back to them.

Offline nick1972

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 08:31:35 AM »
If you only noticed the other day, I'm hoping it's not that noticeable then! :008:

I'm not prepared to Dremel it. If it doesn't fit, it's going back to them.

All depends on how these things bother you, I'm not bothered at all.

The quality of the fit and finish on all the parts from ZL has been excellent, just the way the tank surround attaches to the bike isn't a particularly good design, the oem part isn't perfect.

I'm probably going to go for the massive side panel that incorporates the badge, it goes above and below the red plastic, should look good.