Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Socket for heated clothing  (Read 2268 times)

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Socket for heated clothing
« on: July 21, 2016, 01:05:55 PM »
Hi All

I am a newbie to heated clothing. Going to install a socket (via PDM-60) where do people tend to mount the sockets ?

Any pictures or ideas welcome.

Thanks

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Cheshire
Re: Socket for heated clothing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:52:40 PM »
I've literally just done the same thing, albeit not for heated clothing.
I've seen a guy put one on the LHS, adjacent to the ABS unit. It would seem the perfect location for heated clothing I suspect, but he said it was a very, very tight fit. I looked there and my socket certainly wouldn't have fit. (It's about where the green 30A fuse is).
So I put my socket in a similar position on the RHS, to the factory Hella one on the left.

Online bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 01:55:22 PM »
Thanks Phil

Do you have any pictures by any chance ?

Cheers

Offline norskman

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR Red
  • Town: London, UK
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
There is a BMW kit for this.

BMW offer it as an option when buying a new bike. I got BMW to fit one for me when I got my bike.
There is definite place for it on the Left hand side of the bike. The socket is bolted to the rear frame strut.

I would ask BMW what they do, you may be reinventing the wheel here - the socket is not that much from BMW anyway.

There was no need for a PDM60 for that. It is designed to be used for heated clothing. So should be able to carry the current. Not sure how much current it will do though. Probably there is a connector in the loom for this second socket. Although I can't see it. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Picture to follow.

The PDM60 is a great bit of kit. I have one on my K1600

Online bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2016, 02:00:12 PM »
Yeah I have a few other things to control with the PDM-60 box too. I guess I could use a mounting plate on the rear peg bolt like the BMW socket but thought that might be an awkward place to plug in the cable.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 02:01:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by norskman [+]
There is a BMW kit for this.

BMW offer it as an option when buying a new bike. I got BMW to fit one for me when I got my bike.
There is definite place for it on the Left hand side of the bike. The socket is bolted to the rear frame strut.

I would ask BMW what they do, you may be reinventing the wheel here - the socket is not that much from BMW anyway.

There was no need for a PDM60 for that. It is designed to be used for heated clothing. So should be able to carry the current. Not sure how much current it will do though. Probably there is a connector in the loom for this second socket. Although I can't see it. Maybe someone else knows more about it.

Picture to follow.

The PDM60 is a great bit of kit. I have one on my K1600

From experience, the existing Hella plug is limited to 5A, so it's a fair assumption that adding another one on the LHS as you suggest, using potentially existing wiring, will be limited to 5A too. I don't know what current, heated clothting takes, but I suspect it may be more than 5A, and therefore the canbus will shut it down.  :003:

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2016, 02:07:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Thanks Phil

Do you have any pictures by any chance ?

Cheers

Here you go........not very exciting I know.... :018:

Online bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:36 PM »
Not but its given me the right idea and its a great place to put it :-)

I was thinking you put it on the panel by the seat where the second optional power socket from BMW is fitted.

Offline st4gary

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Jose
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
I've installed two that are wired directly to the battery using Powerlet sockets.  Bought the BMW bracket for the accessory output located on the left side of the bike just below the seat but bypassed the CAN socket and wired right to the battery.  It's not real convenient for running my heated gear to though. So I then ended up drilling a hole in the black surround of the tank (lots of room under the cover) and installed a second Powerlet socket and wired it directly to the battery.  It's easy to reach to plug/unplug my jacket while on the bike. Both sockets support battery charging and electric gear as needed. 

Here's a pic of the socket in the tank surround:

image has been deleted at source