Author Max lean angle - time to start removing bits  (Read 7276 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    on: November 02, 2022, 05:41:51 am
    November 02, 2022, 05:41:51 am
    Found the max lean angle on my last track day /race. Started scrubbing the engine spoilers and gilles shift peg and side stand. I rotated the shift peg up but going to have to make a belly pan for next year. Front forks are raised 15mm from stock, but the springs are 9n ktech so stiffer then stock. Looks like 45 degrees is it for my bike. Looks like gopro mount was also touched, lucky didn't have the 360 mounted that time







    Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 05:47:45 am by AdzventureXR
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline esso_sa   ba

    • XR Pro  ‐    203
    • ***
      #1

    Offline esso_sa

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 203
    • Bike: 2020 S1000XR
    • Town: Sarajevo
    • Country: ba
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 07:55:37 am
    November 02, 2022, 07:55:37 am
    Not sure your app measures lean angle correctly.
    You should be able to lean more that 45 deg to start scrubbing all the parts you did.
    My Gen 2 starts scrubbing the peg feelers at 47 degrees. So in order to scrub the side stand, engine spoiler etc, I believe you need to go over 50 degrees, provided that your suspension is set correctly and not diving at high lean angles
    Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 07:59:05 am by esso_sa

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 08:04:09 am
    November 02, 2022, 08:04:09 am
    *Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
    Not sure your app measures lean angle correctly.
    You should be able to lean more that 45 deg to start scrubbing all the parts you did.
    My Gen 2 starts scrubbing the peg feelers at 47 degrees. So in order to scrub the side stand, engine spoiler etc, I believe you need to go over 50 degrees, provided that your suspension is set correctly and not diving at high lean angles

    Next season I'll setup the gs-911 to run real time value to pull the lean angle and compare to gps values
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline Salem   nl

    • XR Pro  ‐    380
    • ***
      #3

    Offline Salem

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 380
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: nl
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 08:10:17 am
    November 02, 2022, 08:10:17 am
    same here, the feelers start to touch at 47-48 on the bmw app. I've seen 51 with the feelers half gone. Suspension in dynamic, no luggage etc, and I weight 80kg w/o gear

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 08:14:10 am
    November 02, 2022, 08:14:10 am
    *Originally Posted by Salem [+]
    same here, the feelers start to touch at 47-48 on the bmw app. I've seen 51 with the feelers half gone. Suspension in dynamic, no luggage etc, and I weight 80kg w/o gear

    My suspension is completely manual, ktech front sprung and valved, and Nitron Pro race shock. Actually lost 5kg from original setup. So it's at the ideal setup, on the hard side.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline Salem   nl

    • XR Pro  ‐    380
    • ***
      #5

    Offline Salem

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 380
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Country: nl
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 08:28:50 am
    November 02, 2022, 08:28:50 am
    *Originally Posted by AdzventureXR [+]
    My suspension is completely manual, ktech front sprung and valved, and Nitron Pro race shock. Actually lost 5kg from original setup. So it's at the ideal setup, on the hard side.
    Nice, that's high on my wish list, just the font already bottoming out w/o pushing it drives me nuts. But that indicates indeed  the measurement is wrong. (or the BMW sensors read too high..) 

  • Online Warree   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    244
    • ***
      #6

    Online Warree

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 244
    • Town: Pembury
    • Country: gb
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 11:45:06 am
    November 02, 2022, 11:45:06 am
    Or find yourself a nice right hand track with relatively little opportunity to lean hard to the left (stand side)  :164:

    Seriously though, this is an interesting thread as i have had to modify my factory low gen2 SE to stop scraping the tarmac on track days. I fitted M rearsets and set the foot pegs up and back before adjusting the brake and shift. This help get a good track position.
    With this I get 57 degrees from vertical (according to the dash reading) so 33 degrees from horizontal - and then I am starting to touch foot peg.

    As an "older amateur" that is enough for me  :821:
    Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 11:45:47 am by Warree

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #7 on: November 02, 2022, 12:14:52 pm
    November 02, 2022, 12:14:52 pm
    *Originally Posted by Warree [+]
    Or find yourself a nice right hand track with relatively little opportunity to lean hard to the left (stand side)  :164:

    Seriously though, this is an interesting thread as i have had to modify my factory low gen2 SE to stop scraping the tarmac on track days. I fitted M rearsets and set the foot pegs up and back before adjusting the brake and shift. This help get a good track position.
    With this I get 57 degrees from vertical (according to the dash reading) so 33 degrees from horizontal - and then I am starting to touch foot peg.

    As an "older amateur" that is enough for me  :821:

    I actually removed side stand for the race, but it's a pain to set bike on rear stand solo. So for normal track days, prefer to have it installed. Maybe time for a custom or weld more shape to the top side. They are too short anyway for bike lean.

    My biggest worry is my akra can. Don't want to scrap that beauty.
    I also have gilles rear sets, adjusted up and back to the max. Need to file more teeth to rotate further.

    Bike hits both sides on the engine spoiler
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1602
    • *****
      #8

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1602
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #8 on: November 02, 2022, 01:23:37 pm
    November 02, 2022, 01:23:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Warree [+]
    Or find yourself a nice right hand track with relatively little opportunity to lean hard to the left (stand side)  :164:

    Seriously though, this is an interesting thread as i have had to modify my factory low gen2 SE to stop scraping the tarmac on track days. I fitted M rearsets and set the foot pegs up and back before adjusting the brake and shift. This help get a good track position.
    With this I get 57 degrees from vertical (according to the dash reading) so 33 degrees from horizontal - and then I am starting to touch foot peg.

    As an "older amateur" that is enough for me  :821:

    If you are getting that from the bike telemetry - how accurate do you feel it is?

    57deg from vertical seems huge to me.


  • Online Warree   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    244
    • ***
      #9

    Online Warree

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 244
    • Town: Pembury
    • Country: gb
    Re: Max lean angle - time to start removing bits
    Reply #9 on: November 02, 2022, 01:51:32 pm
    November 02, 2022, 01:51:32 pm


    That is what I was wondering. I would like to think that it is pretty accurate.
    Does anybody here know?

    Although the image on my profile is 50 degrees so that looks about right.


     



    dysfunctional