Author RR cam compatible question 2016 xr  (Read 1151 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    on: November 07, 2022, 08:26:09 am
    November 07, 2022, 08:26:09 am
    Hi gents,
    Question regarding swapping cams and engine upgrades.
    Does anyone know anyone that has successfully made changes and what cams, followers where used. Brentuning has said they have tunes from previous customers, but not much input on the hardware. Any feedback would appreciated
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Online RyanGTXR   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    370
    • ***
      #1

    Online RyanGTXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 370
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    • Country: gb
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 08:53:54 am
    November 07, 2022, 08:53:54 am
    There's a Gent in UK Called Jason, has made his XR into RR spec engine with RR cams, airbox mod, full Akra, ecu work by Phil Crowe, 195 rwbhp. Also upgraded brakes with Brembo M/C and Stylema calipers
    Can be found on Facebook XR page

  • Offline ismaskinchef   se

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
      #2

    Offline ismaskinchef

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: HISINGS KARRA
    • Country: se
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #2 on: November 07, 2022, 08:02:41 pm
    November 07, 2022, 08:02:41 pm
    *Originally Posted by AdzventureXR [+]
    Hi gents,
    Question regarding swapping cams and engine upgrades.
    Does anyone know anyone that has successfully made changes and what cams, followers where used. Brentuning has said they have tunes from previous customers, but not much input on the hardware. Any feedback would appreciated

    Hi.
    I'm about to do the same. RR cams and tuning from Brentuning. Akra headers, RR cams, IAT relocation, velocity stacks, Sprint air filter.
    And stock silencer. I'm building a sleeper. Aiming for 190+ whp.
    I have a 2019 HP
    Hope that we can share experiences

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 12:06:29 am
    November 08, 2022, 12:06:29 am
    *Originally Posted by ismaskinchef [+]
    Hi.
    I'm about to do the same. RR cams and tuning from Brentuning. Akra headers, RR cams, IAT relocation, velocity stacks, Sprint air filter.
    And stock silencer. I'm building a sleeper. Aiming for 190+ whp.
    I have a 2019 HP
    Hope that we can share experiences
    Which brentuning are you planning to go too? In Korea there are not any reliable sources, so it adds more difficulty to getting resources and know how.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 12:33:23 am
    November 08, 2022, 12:33:23 am
    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
    There's a Gent in UK Called Jason, has made his XR into RR spec engine with RR cams, airbox mod, full Akra, ecu work by Phil Crowe, 195 rwbhp. Also upgraded brakes with Brembo M/C and Stylema calipers
    Can be found on Facebook XR page

    Thanks for your feedback, never been much of a Facebook fan, guess it's time. Lol
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Online bazzer   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1193
    • *****
      #5

    Online bazzer

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1193
    • Town: Waterlooville
    • Country: gb
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 08:00:12 am
    November 08, 2022, 08:00:12 am
    You will really want the springs and valves as well. The RR cams are more aggressive and really need the stronger springs to keep the valves under control and I would not use the RR springs on the standard non titanium valves.

    You might get away with it on a road bike that does not see a lot of sustained high revs, but not something I would risk. I am going to change valves and sprints too. I just need to find them at a sensible price :-)


  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 08:16:23 am
    November 08, 2022, 08:16:23 am
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    You will really want the springs and valves as well. The RR cams are more aggressive and really need the stronger springs to keep the valves under control and I would not use the RR springs on the standard non titanium valves.

    You might get away with it on a road bike that does not see a lot of sustained high revs, but not something I would risk. I am going to change valves and sprints too. I just need to find them at a sensible price :-)

    May be better to change the complete head to RR.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Online bazzer   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1193
    • *****
      #7

    Online bazzer

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1193
    • Town: Waterlooville
    • Country: gb
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 08:19:57 am
    November 08, 2022, 08:19:57 am
    *Originally Posted by AdzventureXR [+]
    May be better to change the complete head to RR.

    Yeah it could be, though you would probably want to check valve sealing etc on a second hand one. Also need to remember you shouldn't lap in titanium valves. If you need to lap the seats you need to do it with a sacrificial valve that you are not going to use.

    If a ti valve has any damage or is pitted etc its scrap. So might be better to be able to see them and inspect them.


  • Offline AdzventureXR   kr

    • XR Pro  ‐    194
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline AdzventureXR

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 194
    • XR is life
    • Bike: 2016 XR
    • Town: Incheon City
    • Country: kr
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #8 on: November 08, 2022, 08:29:38 am
    November 08, 2022, 08:29:38 am
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    Yeah it could be, though you would probably want to check valve sealing etc on a second hand one. Also need to remember you shouldn't lap in titanium valves. If you need to lap the seats you need to do it with a sacrificial valve that you are not going to use.

    If a ti valve has any damage or is pitted etc its scrap. So might be better to be able to see them and inspect them.

    Would rr valve be compatible with XR head? I'm not clear at this stage. This is one of my concerns. My biggest problem is logistics and talent. Korea is not strong for tuners and rebuild. I may end up going with a new head. So need to understand what year RR is compatible.
    Life. RIDE. Adzventure
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckI3qetJ9IbhcxF-ozgreA
    Enjoy my XR videos
    I'm on Instagram as @adzventurerider

  • Offline ismaskinchef   se

    • XR Junior  ‐    3
    • *
      #9

    Offline ismaskinchef

    • XR Junior
    • *
    • Posts: 3
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: HISINGS KARRA
    • Country: se
    Re: RR cam compatible question 2016 xr
    Reply #9 on: November 08, 2022, 08:51:39 am
    November 08, 2022, 08:51:39 am
    *Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
    You will really want the springs and valves as well. The RR cams are more aggressive and really need the stronger springs to keep the valves under control and I would not use the RR springs on the standard non titanium valves.

    You might get away with it on a road bike that does not see a lot of sustained high revs, but not something I would risk. I am going to change valves and sprints too. I just need to find them at a sensible price :-)

    Hi Bazzer
    what is your experience on this topic?

    I know that I need to change intake springs also, but I'm a bit reluctant to change the valves to titanium. In that case its much better to swap the complete head, which was not part of the idea.
    As you mention, the bike will not live among 13k rpm a lot, as maybe a RR would.
    I want to build a sleeper.

    I have a brentuning today, and I don't go to a shop to have the work done, neither the ecu coding nor the hard ware. I bought the hand held piece and I've spoken to them about this, and if I can do a dyno run with A/F ratio they can adjust the software accordingly

    I have a question too, do I need to remove the engine to swap the cams? Or is it possible to swap them with engine in place ?
    I also want to mention, that my bike has only 8700km on the ODO, so I'm not worried about any ware on the valves or so.

     



    dysfunctional