Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 3D Printed Frame Plugs  (Read 3527 times)

Offline Mute

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Motherwell
3D Printed Frame Plugs
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:15:19 PM »
Dunno if any of you guys are into 3D printing, but if so it'd be good to get some bits and bobs up on thingiverse for the S1000XR.

I've started putting together a design for plugs to fill the holes on the sides of the frame. For now, here's the 123D Design file (you can sell them or do anything you like with them, i'm not into copyright, i just do it for fun!) but I'll update this as i go. Once i've got it nailed, i'll publish on thingiverse.

Design Log (So Far...)

Measured the 4 holes, lower holes are 41mm diameter on both sides. Upper holes are 20mm diameter on the left and 24mm diameter on the right. The holes are plenty deep, i'm only planning on using up to 20mm depth.

I decided to print in 2 parts and superglue them together. This gives a much stronger bond than layering alone and that's important so you can reuse them. You'll lever them out by the cap piece so don't want to have the cap snap off the tube piece! Also, it means i can print without any support material.

I printed in HIPS because it's cheep cheep for prototyping but i'll do the finals in black ABS plastic. I printed the top left plug first because it's smaller and it's the most complex - the frame is on an angle at the mouth of the hole. I used the following settings on a lulzbot mini:

• 240 degree C nozzle, 110c bed temperature
  • 0.25mm layer height, 1mm shell thickness and 20% infill

Came out spot on so i'll stick with these settings.

More to follow when i get time to make the next revision...!

Offline Bangkok Rider

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR+S1000RR
  • Town: Bangkok
Re: 3D Printed Frame Plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:26:18 AM »
what a cool project.  Can you post completed pics once you're done?  I don't 3D print but you have made me start to consider getting one!
2004 R1 (sold)
2015 S1000RR - track bike
2016 S1000XR - street bike

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
Well done, they look better than any available so far.  :047:

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
  • Bike: Fast White One
  • Town: Dyserth, N Wales
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »
I don't own a 3D printer but admire your work on this. Could I please be your first customer if you decide to sell these sets in ABS plastic?  :002:

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:54:45 AM »
Cool.
Know nothing about 3D printing but had a look at thingiverse, there's guys making some mad sh1t !

If you do start selling them let me know  :028:

Offline tintin XR

• XR Junior
  • Town: Somerset
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 10:33:07 PM »
can i be third dibs on these....like stuff that is a bit unique and like others this 3D printing thing is well beyond me!!

Offline zei220

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 10:47:51 PM »
I have access to 3D printing, please let me know when the files are available.

Offline Mute

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Motherwell
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »
Hey zei, here's the lower frame plugs, one for each side. Will let you know when i've got the uppers done to my liking. You need to rename the attachment to .123dx

Note - there's a 0.5mm recess on the underside of the cap piece. I added this to make aligning for glueing trivial. It's your call whether to print with support, delete that feature or just print with no support. Cura treated it like a bridge and it worked out fine for me with no support material.

Offline zei220

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:42:01 PM »
Thank you, i'll try to get them printed later this week.  I'll let you know how i get on  :152:

Offline Steveybaby

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Superduke
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
Them printer things blow my mind. Can anyone send me a link to a tutorial please. Something that shows from start to finish, the cad drawing, the inputting etc. Oh yeah, explained very, very, very simply  :164:

dysfunctional