Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ey up. Poss new owner, many questions  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Steveybaby

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Superduke
  • Town: Manchester
Ey up. Poss new owner, many questions
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:54:03 PM »
Orite chaps, my names Steveybaby and I'm from Mancunia. I'm really tempted to go for a test ride on an XR but before I do I've got a few questions.
I've had 1000+cc V twins for about the last 15-20 years and I'd like to know what the torque and engine braking is like. This is what I love about v2s. I'm not expecting as much but I'd like to know what's there. The last none v2 I rode was a Trump explorer and it was pathetic.
Suspension is massively important too. I've got a few work and football related battle scars so I need pretty plush suspension. What's best, I believe thiers a semi active option. I'm not to keen on it as I've always found it too hard.
The seat, is it any good for full days? I can't be having a plank like most bikes seem to have these days.
I thought I'd consult you chaps before I wasted mine and the dealers time. Thoughts very much appreciated.

:028:

Offline Tommac

• XR Member
  • Town: Chesterfield
Re: Ey up. Poss new owner, many questions
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
Well I've got an SP1 as well as my XR and much as I love the v twin push out of corners, the XR is much faster out of the bends, everywhere in fact. You don't get the same sensation of grunt and the engine braking is less but when you change down using the quick shifter it's an entirely childishly fun sensation as it auto blips to match revs.

The suspension is fairly stiff, but about the same as the SP1 but that is pretty solid anyway.  There is no "comfort" option on the ESA suspension.

The standard set is like a plank of wood.  The HP seat is much better in shape but not a lot of extra padding and it costs too much.

But my opinion is meaningless, you have to get a good test ride.  Most dealers are quite accommodating.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
Dunno how it'd compare to a SuperDuke but compared to my previous GSA it's like a rocketship
It doesn't have anything like the torque of the 1290 SD and it's probably behind in the engine braking too
The ESA suspension is either hard (Road) or very hard (Dynamic) so if you want lots of adjustment go for non-ESA
I find the seat comfortable for long days & the seat-to-peg is much comfier for longer than the GSA

But as Tommac says you've gotta try it yourself  :305:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
Cant add more than the chaps above had said, you have to go ride the thing.

I can however say get the right delaer, Johnnienofish on here also a Manc has had the last dealings with Williams and ended up buying elsewhere. I spent a lot of time tracking down a dealership who'd actually be arsed in selling me a bike, I struggled so I went for the BMW best dealer awarded franchise way down in Brighton. Brilliant deal which nobody north of Brighton could beat, a PCP deal to laugh at it was so good, a respectable PX offer on my CB1000R, and free delivery if only a day late due to traffic issues.

I did 8 hrs in the saddle last week in the lakes, the power and throwability of the bike kept me homed in on the ride and comfort wasn't an issue, the bars vibed so I evotech'd with bar ends and its pretty much fettled the issue. I've done the fireblade's naked's and progressed to sitting up with a screen, great relief to my aged body and a joy to ride.

All I can say is go ride ! :169:...and red, buy a red one !!

Feel free to PM  :028:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:10:13 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Steveybaby

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Superduke
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 04:20:33 PM »
Thanks for the heads up on Williams. They were the ones I was thinking about, so maybe a test ride off them and a better deal elsewhere if I like the bike.
Definitely don't want hard suspension so I'll ask for a non lectrickered one.
But, as it happens, just got tonnes of work on so it'll have to wait a week or so.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »
I'll digress!!!

In 2009 I bought a K1200 when asking at my local dealer about buying one without ESA they scoffed at the idea 'We have never sold one no demand' I was daft enough to  beleave them only to find that when they came up for sale they sold within hours.

Sure enough I got the same bull sh#t about buying an XR only to find the same I found a secondhand one and it sold the same day as advertised the buyer is on this board,when I asked the sales guy his answer was simple there are so few of them the demand is always good for the secondhand stuff because long term they are a better bet.
You'll find it all but impossible to test ride a non ESA bike you can tell them by the black forks,I test rode an ESA XR and it was just as crap as the ESA K1200s's I rode so you will have to use you imagination.
What really ticks me off about BM is their clandestine sales policy Ducati on the other hand market both electric and stock Multistrada bikes side by side with no preference.
I ordered mine in December came with everything except ESA and the pannier rails and it turned up in February but now the rush is over there's bound to be one somewhere with similar spec ex stock.

As per usual what I forgot!! I've ridden mine up against a KTM GT God knows how fast you'd have to ride to find any difference but if there is any I wouldn't want to live on it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 08:14:10 PM by Winger »