Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR convert new joiner  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
XR convert new joiner
« on: July 25, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »
Hi,
I have just joined, having owned my Red XR SE for 3 months and clocked up 2,500 miles (including Germany and back). My last bike was a BMW K1300S - fantastic but never gelled with the front end handling and a crocked neck drew me to a more upright riding position.

There are lots of great things about the XR ... and a few items that warrant sorting out. My first (after R&G protection) is the ride height (being a short arse) and then bar vibrations....

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
Re: XR convert new joiner
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 12:01:01 AM »
Welcome!  Lots of info on bar vibrations. The GS bar ends are heavier and will bolt right on, or get the Evo Techs, they are half a pound heavier each than stock.  Make sure the clamp bolts are torqued properly, over or under tightening will make the vibes worse.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:57:08 AM »
Welcome Hobo
Luckily I'm one of the ones with minimal bar vibes. Either that or the previous GSA has killed all my nerve endings  :001:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 03:19:40 PM »
 :400:

Agree there's a few issues but still a stormer of a bike, just love it. Had the rev counter lighting up like a Crimbo tree on sunday, the bike just flies top end rev's so responsive, it just says " more, more, more, more"   :008:

As a lot on here, short arse guy looking for a lower seat though  :157:, choose ones stopping locations carefully !!
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 09:45:29 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

The news so far on mods is ....

Ride height: fitted the lowering kit from Soupy's in the USA. Looks like a quality piece of kit and 20mm lower rear suspension and forks certainly feels better when coming to a halt.
Protection: R&G crash mushrooms fitted - 10 minute job. I have dropped a bike at 25mph with these on before and trust them.

On the shopping list: Navigator V (lots of money but nice features), bar ends (though the vibes appear to have got slightly better), different screen (to stop buffeting on long distances).