Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buying a bike  (Read 1687 times)

Offline roger z1b

• XR Member
  • Bike: gs lc / s1000xr
  • Town: wigan
Buying a bike
« on: July 28, 2016, 09:35:03 PM »
This must be the only forum where I have joined before i have bought the bike!  I own a R1200gs LC  at the moment  which I think I will keep.
I could buy the S1000XR outright, but that that ties up a lot of capital and I get 4% from Santander on it at the moment.

Do you think that outright purchase is best financially, or what about these pcp deals or any other options ..... advice greatly appreciated guys.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Buying a bike
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:15 AM »
I prefer to buy my bikes the traditional way (save up and pay outright), and as the XR has strong residuals will continue to do so.

Finance is a good option on bikes which tend to lose a lot of money, and their residuals are an unknown. If I ever bought a KTM or Ducati, I'd break my own rule and finance through the manufacturer, as you'll have a guaranteed future value, or could even bail once you've paid half the finance with no penalty under a regulated agreement.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Re: Buying a bike
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:48 PM »
I've always gone and paid cash for all vehicles not because I have loads of cash in the bank but more for the fact that I don't like borrow money. 

This said BMW are doing some good deals, your money your choice I guess, I kept my eye on this forums and others be for I got my XR.

I've only done 2500 miles in the last two months on the XR one big ish trip just over 1000 miles in 4 days the rest all days out and the odd work and back still loving it, yep there are issues handle bar vibration is the big one however; there are ways round this. coming from a Z1000sx and a BMW K1300s there are a few things I love about the XR and a few I wish it just did a bit better.

Best bits great seat, nice and up right good visibility, very quick thought the box power all over the place and lots of toys the Navigator V is a good option I've gone for the pans as well nice size "inner bags at a price :019:" fuel range two up is ok not as good as the K13s two up.  One up yep who cares if I'm out on my own then is's in Prod dynamic I'm not looking at fuel economy.

Bad bit handle bars a bit wide for me and the vibrations, just a tad too high to paddle round when in two up mode even with the low seat "I'm 5'10".  lets say or on a private road or a runway  :038: :038: the front end can feel a bit floaty at 130MPH+

I like the XR not saying it's the best bike in the world or the bike for everyone but worth the money.

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1