Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel leak  (Read 16736 times)

Offline Slider

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Newbury
Fuel leak
« on: July 31, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
Hi All,

Something to be aware of - had a fuel leak last week, the fuel tank emptied its entire contents all over the engine and onto my garage floor!

I was just checking tyre pressures in preparation for going out on a ride, I hadn't started the engine, but had the ignition on so as not to set the alarm off while fiddling with bike. Hit the start button once, didn't fire up as normal, smelled fuel and heard dripping, walked around to right side of bike only to see a petrol waterfall spewing over the engine and onto floor - bike was on it's centre stand.

Got the bike recovered to Bhanstormer. Turns out it was the fuel clamp on the fuel hose at bottom of fuel tank. Bhanstormer said they have seen this issue before.
{c/o Tommy Cooper} Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter', who has stabbed six people in the rear in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Offline BMW_XR_D

• XR Member
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: brentwood
Re: Fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 10:51:55 PM »
Its you quick release for fuel line under gas tank

Offline Slider

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Newbury
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »
Thanks, BMW_XR_D. That's a surprise seeing so many with the same issue. Given the overall sophistication of the bike, its disappointing to suffer such a basic error. I'm not sure what could have happened if the engine was hot, or in the middle of run at speed with file spilling under the back wheel, but glad I didn't have to find out. The dealer replaced the clip and the hose. I've done 3,700 miles on the bike.
{c/o Tommy Cooper} Local Police hunting the 'knitting needle nutter', who has stabbed six people in the rear in the last 48 hours, believe the attacker could be following some kind of pattern.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 09:42:45 AM »
Bloody hell!   :156:

That is potentially VERY nasty....

Offline mickthesaw

• XR Member
  • Town: South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 09:27:40 AM »
Same thing happened to mine the day before it was due to go back to Jefferies in the end it was collected under warranty and transported there.
Mine was a loose circlip on the fuel line it seems like its getting to be a common problem, I would have thought a recall would be in order.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 09:35:51 AM »
If I was an owner, I would be having a very close look....

Offline BMW_XR_D

• XR Member
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Town: brentwood
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:20:31 PM »
I go down in a ball of flames from this BMW will be slapped with a lawsuit . 

Offline harryp

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1XRTE
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 08:54:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by BMW_XR_D [+]
I go down in a ball of flames from this BMW will be slapped with a lawsuit .
If you are still around to start slapping.. :002:

Offline George72

• XR Junior
  • Greetings from Brazil
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »
Hi there,

Today was my turn. My 2016 S1000XR (1700km) developed the very same problem. Tried to start, nothing. Except major fuel leak from the lower left side.

Bike is now at Brasilia BMW and I'm waiting for any response from them.  Oh yes, they claim this is a first, of course..........

:230: :230:

Offline Toothdoctor

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr se
  • Town: County durham
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 09:36:14 PM »
Hi all, potentially serious harm in the waiting I think, and its better it happened in the garage than on the road! BMW  need to address this one and quick! thanks for the heads up👍