Author Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?  (Read 1503 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Diavel   la

    • XR Pro  ‐    272
    • ***
    • Topic Author

    Offline Diavel

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 272
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    • Country: la
    Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    on: April 24, 2023, 01:10:30 pm
    April 24, 2023, 01:10:30 pm
    Hi. One of my bikes is a Gen 1 XR where the rear tyre is recommended as 190/55 17 . I live in a developing country where the roads are not good....lots of potholes etc ( like the UK 😁) and the tarmac can be washed away to leave only hardened mud. So my question is...I would like to fit Pirelli MT60 onto the bike ,as I have on some of my other bikes, but the biggest size they do is 180/55 17 (not 190/55) and I am not sure how this will effect the handling etc of the bike?Any advice welcomed including other tyre choices for these conditions .TIA 😊👍🏽

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 01:18:33 pm
    April 24, 2023, 01:18:33 pm
    *Originally Posted by Diavel [+]
    Hi. One of my bikes is a Gen 1 XR where the rear tyre is recommended as 190/55 17 . I live in a developing country where the roads are not good....lots of potholes etc ( like the UK 😁) and the tarmac can be washed away to leave only hardened mud. So my question is...I would like to fit Pirelli MT60 onto the bike ,as I have on some of my other bikes, but the biggest size they do is 180/55 17 (not 190/55) and I am not sure how this will effect the handling etc of the bike?Any advice welcomed including other tyre choices for these conditions .TIA 😊👍🏽

    I think your best bet is with the Dunlop Mutants they're a "crossover" tyre and come in 190/55, some on here have used it with the XR and claim it's very good. I'm not sure I'd want to go for something as knobbly as the MT60 on a bike like the XR.

  • Offline RyanGTXR   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    509
    • ****
      #2

    Offline RyanGTXR

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 509
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    • Country: gb
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 06:08:46 pm
    April 24, 2023, 06:08:46 pm
    180's should be on a 5.5 inch rim, 190 sits on a 6 inch rim so you would be stretching the carcass of a 180. I would not do it. The tyre would not be sitting at all how it was designed to be.

  • Offline wessie   gb

    • XR Master  ‐    765
    • ****
      #3

    Offline wessie

    • XR Master
    • ****
    • Posts: 765
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 06:13:53 pm
    April 24, 2023, 06:13:53 pm
    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
    180's should be on a 5.5 inch rim, 190 sits on a 6 inch rim so you would be stretching the carcass of a 180. I would not do it. The tyre would not be sitting at all how it was designed to be.

    sounds like the OP needs a GS not an XR

     :164:

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #4

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 06:15:50 pm
    April 24, 2023, 06:15:50 pm
    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
    180's should be on a 5.5 inch rim, 190 sits on a 6 inch rim so you would be stretching the carcass of a 180. I would not do it. The tyre would not be sitting at all how it was designed to be.

    This too, I'd never undersize a tyre, oversizing is also silly but at least less likely to pop off the bead.

  • Online Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1828
    • *****
      #5

    Online Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1828
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 08:41:07 pm
    April 24, 2023, 08:41:07 pm
    *Originally Posted by wessie [+]
    sounds like the OP needs a GS not an XR

     :164:

    I think you are correct, but sometimes what the heart wants ——


  • Offline Diavel   la

    • XR Pro  ‐    272
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • #6

    Offline Diavel

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 272
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Vientiane
    • Country: la
    Re: Tyre advice please -190/55 v 180/55?
    Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 12:06:44 am
    April 25, 2023, 12:06:44 am
    Thanks for the advice both relevant 😁  and tyre related....and irrelevant choice of bike 🙄

    So now I understand that 180/55 is a bad idea and have given that up and will look for the correct 190/55 size with an available appropriate tyre. The Dunlop Mutants seem to be a very good choice and I will see if I can get them from neighbouring Thailand but the choice is really quite limited and so far,  I have only been offered Pirelli Scorpion Trail II so far.
    Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 02:02:12 am by Diavel