Author Front Brake Disc Bolts  (Read 761 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Yakmandoo   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    41
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Yakmandoo

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 41
    • Bike: S1000XR K49
    • Town: Buxton
    • Country: gb
    Front Brake Disc Bolts
    on: May 07, 2023, 04:04:15 pm
    May 07, 2023, 04:04:15 pm
    Hi Guys, just had to replace my front wheel (FFS POTHOLES) I've taken the discs off the old wheel, cleaned up the bolts, the manual says there one use only due to encapsulated locking on the bolt, can I reuse them? Also looked at titanium bolts, but the question is which loctite? High or medium, the old stuff looked blueish.

  • Online Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1830
    • *****
      #1

    Online Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1830
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 04:50:12 pm
    May 07, 2023, 04:50:12 pm
    I re-used the bolts, after cleaning with wire brush and ultra-sonic tank cleaning.  I used low-yield loctite for the bolts.

    You may require new spring wafers backing up the disc, though.

    Run them in with the drill on low torque and then torque them up with a wrench.

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #2

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #2 on: May 07, 2023, 05:47:43 pm
    May 07, 2023, 05:47:43 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yakmandoo [+]
    Hi Guys, just had to replace my front wheel (FFS POTHOLES) I've taken the discs off the old wheel, cleaned up the bolts, the manual says there one use only due to encapsulated locking on the bolt, can I reuse them? Also looked at titanium bolts, but the question is which loctite? High or medium, the old stuff looked blueish.

    Definitely blue at most, heads of these original bolts are not very hard, was insane effort undoing mine without rounding them off, Definitely don't put red on there!

    Should be okay to reuse though. Saying that, i did replace them after 47k miles with new discs

  • Offline Yakmandoo   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    41
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline Yakmandoo

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 41
    • Bike: S1000XR K49
    • Town: Buxton
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #3 on: May 07, 2023, 05:51:46 pm
    May 07, 2023, 05:51:46 pm
    Yeah I had to use the impact wrench, one got quite chewed up, 2 slightly, definitely not very strong, I've run a die down the threads and wire brushed them up, going to use medium strength thread lock.

  • Online Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1830
    • *****
      #4

    Online Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1830
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 06:31:11 pm
    May 07, 2023, 06:31:11 pm
    *Originally Posted by Yakmandoo [+]
    Yeah I had to use the impact wrench, one got quite chewed up, 2 slightly, definitely not very strong, I've run a die down the threads and wire brushed them up, going to use medium strength thread lock.

    I'd shy away from using impact wrench to release them.   Play a hot air gun on the bolts (70c-80c) to soften the threadlock and with a purely rotational steady pressure - slacken them.  Heat-Remove, Heat-remove etc.

    Impact wrenhes can work great on a nut/bolt, but not so great on small hex cap screws.   They tend to take it out on the hex.


  • Offline Yakmandoo   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    41
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #5

    Offline Yakmandoo

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 41
    • Bike: S1000XR K49
    • Town: Buxton
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 06:33:01 pm
    May 07, 2023, 06:33:01 pm
    As I found out lol, my thinking at the time was the wheel is knackered so just go for it, oh well you live and learn.

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3730
    • *****
      #6

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3730
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: Front Brake Disc Bolts
    Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 05:29:41 pm
    May 08, 2023, 05:29:41 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
    I re-used the bolts, after cleaning with wire brush and ultra-sonic tank cleaning.  I used low-yield loctite for the bolts.

    You may require new spring wafers backing up the disc, though.

    Run them in with the drill on low torque and then torque them up with a wrench.

    +1

    Put Dymags on must be the thick end of 7 years ago and did the above.